GPS, will it work for me ???? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-01-2004, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to stopsign Send a message via Yahoo to stopsign
GPS, will it work for me ????

ok guys help me out here.... im not too familiar with the whole GPS thing but im very curious and last night helped me....

we were out onthe lake after dark and its a huge lake, we were touring and then stopped and drifted for a few hours and i kinda lost my bearings and had alot of trouble navigating by the shore lights back to the marina, will GPS help me out in such a situation ? i mean does my marina have certian coordinates that i can navigate too ? im not really sure how it all works but im very curious..... also if this in fact what i am looking for what brand type should i go with ? is there one made specifically for marine use ?

I don't kill flies but I like to mess with their minds. I hold them above globes. They freak out and yell, 'Whoa, I'm way too high!'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-01-2004, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: GPS, will it work for me ????

Yes. Just mark a waypoint where you launch your boat, and you can always tell it to point you back to that waypoint. Most GPS' also record the route/track you take, so you can see/follow the line back to where you started.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-01-2004, 4:26 PM
Fig

Basically every spot on the earth is a coordinate in Longitude and Latitude. As long as you have an unobstructed view of the skies, and are not indoors, a GPS will get the satellite signals and use them to calculate where you are on the earth. You can mark waypoints like Cong said, and then navigate back to them. If you plan on using it soley in the boat, then I would suggest a marine version, since it will have detailed maps of the coast/lake you are in. A street version might not be too accurate, and running an expensive boat ashore because the gps didn't have that point running across the lake could get expensive. But for just getting your bearing and figuring out which direction the truck is at, it would work fine. Just don't do any real navigating with it on the boat, since it will basically just point you in a straight line.
Fig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-01-2004, 4:32 PM

As Conq already mentioned, most GPS's will leave a "digital bread crumb" trail that you can follow back, or simply beeline to its beginning.

...you can also mark favorite fishing spots to navigate back to, mark shallow water spots, mark where you lost something overboard... all kinds of uses for those things

Last edited by 2OHOH2; 07-01-2004 at 4:32 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-01-2004, 4:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, even my cheap handheld GPS I use on the dirtbike has a "TrackBack" mode, where it will direct you back in the same path you just followed.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-01-2004, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to stopsign Send a message via Yahoo to stopsign

thanks for the info guys, i took a trip to best buy today and the kid didnt know a GPS from a microwave oven so i decided to wait on that one....

yes this will be used primarily on the boat so i will also check the boat store this weekend but they tend to be overpriced on anything "marine only", who knows though i may decide its cool and want to be able to use it in the car as well so something portable may be the way to go....

actually i need it to be portable because my boat doesnt exactly lock so i want to be able to take it home with me when not in use.

is there any brand or features that i should be aware of when shopping, i dont wanna rush into it and get a piece of crap.... but on the other hand i dont wanna have to dig out the credit card to get one either so im not looking for top of the line....

I don't kill flies but I like to mess with their minds. I hold them above globes. They freak out and yell, 'Whoa, I'm way too high!'
post #7 of 7 Old 07-01-2004, 11:51 PM

stopsign, do a little "shopping" homework first. Do you have Popular Outdoor in your area? Check out some the local camping/outdoors stores in your area. Also, do a chitload of internet research and learn what various brands/models will do for you. You will probably find some mail order retailers that offer good pricing also. I myself am partial to the Garmin brand.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page