cd player remote turn ons - Page 2 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 1:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Re: cd player remote turn ons

Quote:
BillAce : Stegen, the Sunfire should have GM's class 2 Databus. *You can't remove the stock radio completely. *You need a Metra 70-2003T harness. *It keeps the stock radio powered in a new location and maintains the data bus I/O while letting you install an aftermarket Head Unit. *The true ignition source for the radio is a Brown wire at the ignition harness. *It will show +12V in the 'Accessory' and 'Run' key positions.
ok, so couldnt i cut the brown wire and wire it togther with my red wire (ign) from the new deck harness?

Life is Good, Life is Great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 1:35 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Bill, what kind of amps have 1.4 Farads internally!?

Steggie, spend $25 on the harness and prevent a car fire. They're easy, plug and play.

post #18 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 1:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
luvtolean : Bill, what kind of amps have 1.4 Farads internally!?

Steggie, spend $25 on the harness and prevent a car fire. *They're easy, plug and play.
I did get the harness but the stock harness DOESNT have a 12v switchable ign source wire. That is what I am trying to figure out what to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 1:54 PM

Quote:
luvtolean : Bill, what kind of amps have 1.4 Farads internally!?

Steggie, spend $25 on the harness and prevent a car fire. They're easy, plug and play.
I'm using (3) Zapco C2K series. Each of them has 470 micro farads of capacitance for the power supply, and a seperate bank of filtering caps.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 5:57 PM

So why do all of the big competition rigs have banks of batteries? Is it because they're not allowed to compete with the engine running?
post #21 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 8:35 PM

The SPL rigs use tons of batteries because:

They don't run the motor while testing

You can't fit enough alternators to make enough current for 10,000 watts

They usually run batteries up to 16V

The batteries are charged between runs and aren't even connected to the vehicles electrical system.

For sound quality a stiffening capacitor is preferred to additional batteries because they can fully discharge their stored potential in 1/32 of a second. This is helpful because of the dynamic properties of the signal. The Carbon Alloy Capacitors aren't as effective because they slowly release their stored potential and act more like a battery than a stiffening capacitor.

Extra batteries help when the engine is off and hurt whenever it's running. (except in extreme cases where some creative things can be done with the charging system design)
post #22 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 8:44 PM Thread Starter

talked to best buy and he said I have to run a line from my decks ign wire to a wire in my climate controls to start the deck. ok.

Talked to a guy at a alternator repair shop and he said the max alt. I would need is 140 amps. he said that I should run all grounds for the stereo BACK to the battery instead of the body. opinions?

post #23 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 9:01 PM

Ground as close to the amp to clean, bare metal as possible. You couldn't run a big enough wire under your carpet to have resistance lower than the steel unibody car chassis. It is a good idea to upgrade the ground return wires to the battery. There are usually 3 or 4 grounds in the engine bay.

Body - battery
engine - battery
engine - body

Make these 1/0 awg and since you're there, upgrade the charge lead from the alternator to 1/0 as well.
post #24 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
BillAce : Ground as close to the amp to clean, bare metal as possible. *You couldn't run a big enough wire under your carpet to have resistance lower than the steel unibody car chassis. *It is a good idea to upgrade the ground return wires to the battery. *There are usually 3 or 4 grounds in the engine bay. *

Body - battery
engine - battery
engine - body

Make these 1/0 awg and since you're there, upgrade the charge lead from the alternator to 1/0 as well.
He said another thing to do is run a second battery cuz the alternator cant take a huge pull but a battery can. I do have a 3 farad cap and i figure that is big enough so I shouldnt need a second battery. ya think?

post #25 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 11:16 PM

If he can build you a 140A alternator, it will take the pull. If for a brief moment (ie: big bass note) you are demanding more current than the alternator can give, you have a reserve, the battery that's in the car. Trying to charge a second battery with the same alternator will increase the load on the alternator all the time. It will have to run the electronics and keep both batteries charged, therefore working harder.

About 12 years ago I went to an Autosound 2000 seminar (Richard Clark & Dave Navone, the guys that get a check anytime someone says 'stiffening capacitor' becasue they patented the term.)

They had a bicycle with a generator attached to the rear wheel. a volunteer rode the bike and it charged a battery and ran a light. Richard then asked what should we do if we want to run more lights. Everyone in the room thought or said, 'add another battery'. An unlucky engineer from Kenwood was the first to give the answer. They had him operate the bike and without adding a light at first. Then they added another battery as he was already moving and the light dimmed. The poor guy was pedalling his a$$ off and could barely keep the light on. The reason is a capacitor wants to store energy, we were told to think of current as water and a battery as a pool. The water source or alternator is a garden hose. That garden hose has limited capacity and if you tried to fill 2 swimming pools while watering your lawn you would see a drop in water pressure, only fill 1 pool and your alternator will have to work less.

Use another vehicle, get a good set of heavy gauge jumper cables, start your car turn on the headlights and then connect the cables to the other car but don't start the engine. Your headlights will dim the second the other battery is connected and that battery isn't powering anything. And this still doesn't address the potential problems with a 2nd battery. There is ZERO benefit to putting an extra battery in your car, unless you need engine off power or large quantities of CCA to start the thing.
post #26 of 30 Old 07-11-2003, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

ok. you convinced me, screw the second battery. just a upgraded alt and my cap will do it.

post #27 of 30 Old 07-11-2003, 1:17 PM

Run all your grounds to the battery and you'll listen to that alternator make its music...

post #28 of 30 Old 07-11-2003, 1:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
luvtolean : Run all your grounds to the battery and you'll listen to that alternator make its music...
Damn, everyone has a differenet idea of what to do.

post #29 of 30 Old 07-11-2003, 1:35 PM

Actually no, I'm telling you the same thing as BillAce, run your grounds to the nearest clean solid piece of metal, and upgrade all of your underhood grounds too.

An alternator's music is a whine that you probably won't appreciate.

post #30 of 30 Old 07-11-2003, 1:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
luvtolean : Actually no, I'm telling you the same thing as BillAce, run your grounds to the nearest clean solid piece of metal, and upgrade all of your underhood grounds too.

An alternator's music is a whine that you probably won't appreciate.
I know that you are saying the same thing, and its appreciated. but the alt guy said to run all grounds back to the batt.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page