cd player remote turn ons - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Re: cd player remote turn ons

Putting my deck in my car and need to run wires from the deck to the amps. I have always used single strand 16 ga. for it but would regular 16 ga speaker wire work too? its a very low signal to turn my amps on so i think that it would work but am not sure. anyone?

Life is Good, Life is Great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 12:14 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Yep, that will work just fine. *Whatcha puttin in the new ride?

Edit=> You do not have remote turn on leads on your Patch Cables? I have always used Esoteric/ or Phoenix Gold patches, and they have always had a shielded turn on lead between right and left channel.

post #3 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

All the stuff I am going to list, i have had for years and some of it is new from christmas.

Deck: Rockford Fosgate 8130, .VERY nice deck

Amps: All Rockford Fosgate: 800a2 (1000 Watts) 225.2 (800 Watts) 55.2 (300 watts) 45.2 (250 watts) 75.2 (345 watts)

Speakers: Kicker 6 1/2 2 way components, Alpine Type R 5 1/4 components, Alpine Type R 6x9

Subs: 2 12' Rockford Fosgate DVCs and 2 10' DVCs

Cap: 3 Farad Stingpro

Batteries: Stock up front and a Optima Redtop in the trunk.

Everything will be custom work and boxes. Running 1/0 Gauge wire. Getting the alternator upgraded to 200 amp internalls

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 12:38 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I guess you won't have to worry about hearing the kid crying in the back seat.

Craig
post #5 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 12:48 AM

stegen, you need more wattage
post #6 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 1:26 AM Thread Starter

I am shooting for 11,000 db baby. (and yes i know, its impossible)

post #7 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 1:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Skully : I guess you won't have to worry about hearing the kid crying in the back seat. *
Subs go off and volume down when the baby is in the car.

post #8 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 1:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quiet954 : Yep, that will work just fine. *Whatcha puttin in the new ride?

Edit=> You do not have remote turn on leads on your Patch Cables? *I have always used Esoteric/ or Phoenix Gold patches, and they have always had a shielded turn on lead between right and left channel.
When you say patch cables, do you mean RCAs?

post #9 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 1:32 AM

Quote:
stegen : I am shooting for 11,000 db baby. (and yes i know, its impossible)
Glad to see that we can't dampen your sense of humor
stegen
post #10 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 6:27 AM Thread Starter

ok, was putting my deck in and ran into a problem. gm made some new type of wire harness and it doesnt have a 12v ign. source, so i have to find one. can someone name a few and how would I tap into that source?

post #11 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 8:38 AM

Quote:
stegen : When you say patch cables, do you mean RCAs?
Aye Cap'n...
post #12 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 8:46 AM

Quote:
stegen : ok, was putting my deck in and ran into a problem. gm made some new type of wire harness and it doesnt have a 12v ign. source, so i have to find one. can someone name a few and how would I tap into that source?
The stereo wire harness must have a 12v ignition source, unless the stock stereo is 12v constant (in which case the stock deck would always be 'hot'). If you cannot get a wire harness to go with the stocker, look in the fuse box, typically there will be open available 12v ignition plugs that you can power your deck with assuming your deck is totally dry. Dry meaning you are not using any internal amplification from the deck, even if it has a built in amp, do not use it. I strongly reccommend finding a wire harness adapter, so you do not need any of this. GM Wire harness for 2003 Sunfire Install is a breeze, and going back to stock when you sell is even easier.
post #13 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 11:57 AM

I hope you have your ignition problem taken care of. I want to advise you to NOT install a second battery in your car! This is dangerous and hurts the performance of your system.

Normally a battery isolator is installed between the 2 batteries. They cause a voltage drop of about .7 volts and since the rockford amps are unregulated, this will effect their output. A byproduct of this is heat and I have seen many isolators catch fire because they are just too big to install in an engine bay when they are rated at a high enough amperage to do the job.

having a single alternator with a field wire connected to the factory fuse/distribution panel causes more trouble. This wire let's the voltage regulator know when to engage/disengage. Say you are driving on a nice sunny day. Windows down, stereo crankin. The stock battery is doing very little and the alternator has to charge it about 1/4 of the total running time. The 'system' battery is being heavily drained and not getting charged. It will pull current through the isolator and try to raise voltage by lowering the front battery voltage and soo fail. Or imagine it's a dark rainy night, you have the headlights, wipers, blower motor on high, rear defroster going. Your trying to concentrate on driving and the baby is sleeping so the radio is low or off. You are overcharging the 'system' battery and too much of that and they explode! You don't want that to happen either!

You don't need another battery. The only thing you get is more time to listen to your stereo with the engine off. Otherwise you overwork your alternator by doubling it's load. You probably don't need an alternator either. Your amplifiers are rated at much more power than you will ever see. industry standard is to measure power in a controlled environment, (lab) with a 4 ohm shunt resistor on the output, a large, variable, regulated power supply and a 1K test tone. They usually double that number and some even do a 1 second burst to make the number even higher. Music is dynamic and current draw is far less than you would imagine. If there is a power problem, get an alternator and upgrade factory ground leads, an alternator is the only thing that 'makes' power.

I have 2700 watts in my car, sometimes i get crazy and listen above 90db. I have the original alternator from 1994, but did have to change the battery, it was 6 years old and the car sits all summer long (954). My lights don't dim, (my amps do have 1.4 farads internally).

Don't put another battery in your car and if someone at a car audio store recommends another battery, kick them in the nuts and run away.
post #14 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 1:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quiet954 : Quote (stegen @ July 10 2003, 5:27am)ok, was putting my deck in and ran into a problem. gm made some new type of wire harness and it doesnt have a 12v ign. source, so i have to find one. can someone name a few and how would I tap into that source?
The stereo wire harness must have a 12v ignition source, unless the stock stereo is 12v constant (in which case the stock deck would always be 'hot'). *If you cannot get a wire harness to go with the stocker, look in the fuse box, typically there will be open available 12v ignition plugs that you can power your deck with assuming your deck is totally dry. *Dry meaning you are not using any internal amplification from the deck, even if it has a built in amp, do not use it. *I strongly reccommend finding a wire harness adapter, so you do not need any of this. GM Wire harness for 2003 Sunfire Install is a breeze, and going back to stock when you sell is even easier.
The stock radio has the ability to play while the car is totally off and keys out of the ignition. I plugged everything into the harness and all I could get was the clock on my deck, wouldnt turn on. I looked on a sunfire forum and they said you have to wire it to a 12v ign source. one guy wired it to his wipers and his deck would only turn on when he had his wipers on.

post #15 of 30 Old 07-10-2003, 1:31 PM

Stegen, the Sunfire should have GM's class 2 Databus. You can't remove the stock radio completely. You need a Metra 70-2003T harness. It keeps the stock radio powered in a new location and maintains the data bus I/O while letting you install an aftermarket Head Unit. The true ignition source for the radio is a Brown wire at the ignition harness. It will show +12V in the 'Accessory' and 'Run' key positions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page