Wireless Broadband Question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 9:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Wireless Broadband Question

Okay all you tech whiz kids … here is one for you to wrap your brain around.

I live about a half mile from a university who serves as my Internet service provider at home. I, unfortunately, am on dial-up. I recently had a brainstorm that I was ill equipped to handle.

When on campus I can use my laptop's wireless capabilities pretty much anywhere. I know that the school is providing broadband to some buildings on and off campus via a beam antenna, which will allow it to transmit a focused stream of data over greater distances.

My long-winded question is this, does anyone have knowledge of how to build such an antenna that would allow me to replicate this feat from my house. The cost is not so much an issue. I can justify the cost based on the fact that I will not have to purchase cable Internet ($56 / month). Any thoughts?

Harris Bracket Fender Eliminator
Hindle High-Mount Exhaust
PowerCommanderIIIr
Pro-Tek Sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 9:46 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs
Re: Wireless Broadband Question

If you just want a wireless network on your house...Linksys.com can set you up with either an 802.11b or an 802.11g wireless network. The G is faster for LAN traffic...but is also more $. I have a linksys wireless router in my house, and it works great.

If your trying to get into the school, you might have to do it via VPN with network in place.

Get Cable or DSL....it will work better then Dialup.

Team Honda - well sorta...
post #3 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 9:47 AM

Reputation Power: 0

He wants to build a large enough antenna to get a wireless connection to his school, which is half a mile away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 9:55 AM Thread Starter

Correct - I understand about building a wireless network within the house. In fact when I built I wired the house for ethernet throughout. What I am wanting is what Conqsoft said. The ability to establish a connection to the campus wireless network from about a half mile away - hence the beam antenna requirement.

PowerCommanderIIIr
Pro-Tek Sliders
post #5 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 11:02 AM

You may want to look into this, as 1/2 mile line of site is a piece of cake with this unit . . .

Antenna
post #6 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 11:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

why not just VPN

post #7 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmethebombs
why not just VPN
We have installed directional wireless antenna's before...they do work well.

post #8 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmethebombs
why not just VPN
The means of communication isn't the issue for this gentleman, just the physical connection to a broadband source. I have a couple of clients that are spread over a square mile of factory buildings and use these antennas and WAPs in bridge mode with excellent results.
post #9 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 11:30 AM

Reputation Power: 20

What you are asking is probably not reasonable. Wireless communications over long distances are very expensive and cost is the barrier to distributing this stuff to the general public.

You will require special hardware setup on both your site and the school's site to accomodate your needs... even if you pick up a signal with the antenna linked above, you will not have the juice to send YOUR signal back out to the school without the proper kit.

I also suspect that your campus is providing wireless access points throughout campus with no one source that is strong enough to reach your house... that means that even if you do pick up a signal, you will probably pick up so much 'echo' that your connection speed will be slower than useless.

I strongly believe that you will not be able to overcome the 1/2 mile difference to your school using "home" based products. Dude... get DSL. It's cheap, it's easy, it's fast. You mentioned it was $56/month... that's CRAZY. I get our business level DSL connection at that! We get our regular Joe User Cable or DSL for less than $35cad ($28?usd)/month!!!!!!!

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".
post #10 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad
What you are asking is probably not reasonable. Wireless communications over long distances are very expensive and cost is the barrier to distributing this stuff to the general public.

You will require special hardware setup on both your site and the school's site to accomodate your needs... even if you pick up a signal with the antenna linked above, you will not have the juice to send YOUR signal back out to the school without the proper kit.

I also suspect that your campus is providing wireless access points throughout campus with no one source that is strong enough to reach your house... that means that even if you do pick up a signal, you will probably pick up so much 'echo' that your connection speed will be slower than useless.

I strongly believe that you will not be able to overcome the 1/2 mile difference to your school using "home" based products. Dude... get DSL. It's cheap, it's easy, it's fast. You mentioned it was $56/month... that's CRAZY. I get our business level DSL connection at that! We get our regular Joe User Cable or DSL for less than $35cad ($28?usd)/month!!!!!!!
ummmm not so. I am currently typing this from a workstation with a wireless nic connected to an 18 db directional antenna aiming toward my office WAP which is using the standard dipole (an 80 dollar Netgear G unit inside the server room). The distance is 3100 feet between the 2 buildings. A simple field strength meter (or any of several software programs that serve the same purpose) can zero your antenna in on the strongest signal source.

Last edited by abtech; 07-20-2004 at 11:41 AM.
post #11 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

I am looking for something that will, hopefully, allow me to transmit and receive without having any hardware installed at the school. I'm not even sure if this is possible. I discussed it with one of the IT Admins at one point but at that time the cost scared me away. Now that I am gainfully employed and looking at broadband costs in this area I am seeing it as a cost effective way to go. Granted there is the initial output of cost, but that pays for itself with time.

PowerCommanderIIIr
Pro-Tek Sliders
post #12 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 11:59 AM

Bikes & IT, damn this guy is good!!
post #13 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 12:29 PM

I'm over 3100 ft (need a signal booster) but have 3mbs service with promises of 15mbs shortly...
post #14 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 12:34 PM

Abtech, you're over half a mile away and your signal is strong enough from a standard wireless card? I'm surprised. Don't you get quite a bit of bounce from buildings? I find even being in a cement building there is so much echo that my rate drops drastically compared to when I'm in the open.

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".
post #15 of 31 Old 07-20-2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad
Abtech, you're over half a mile away and your signal is strong enough from a standard wireless card? I'm surprised. Don't you get quite a bit of bounce from buildings? I find even being in a cement building there is so much echo that my rate drops drastically compared to when I'm in the open.

Nope . . . That's why you use a directional beam antenna, it eliminates all of the multipath distortion.

Last edited by abtech; 12-20-2006 at 7:51 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page