Blackberries Who's got them? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-21-2004, 5:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot
Blackberries Who's got them?

Thinking about getting a Blackberry (Nextel 7510) and wondering if anyone uses one. Found out I can get a rpogram that would make work alot smoother, but other than that, just looking for something new and combining my Cell and PDA would be nice.
So lay it on me,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-21-2004, 7:10 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Blackberries Who's got them?

Look into the T-mobile sidekick also there are a few programming site that will let you develop your own software to improve the features
post #3 of 14 Old 07-21-2004, 7:28 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-21-2004, 7:33 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Here's a conversation I recently had at a company I was consulting for. The guy had been hired as the Sales Manager for a $9M portfolio. After a few weeks it was discovered that he was using a pencil and pad of paper to manage all of his phone contacts, and oddly enough, was having a bit of trouble with connectivity on the road.

Boner: They sent me to you to see if you can hook me up with a Blueberry.

Bake: Hmmm...do you mean a Blackberry?

Boner: Yeah, that's it....what's it do anyway?

Bake: Well, it's a connectivity solution for mobile folks that need to integrate things like phone, email, and PDA.....

Boner: What's a PDA?

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #5 of 14 Old 07-21-2004, 7:49 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Quite a few people here at my office have them, and they all love it. They work very well. One thing I would suggest is making sure you have the latest OS on there 'cuz one of the older versions(forgot the #) tends to crash.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-21-2004, 9:30 AM

Wife has one, the corporate leash. Has come in handy to check what movies are playing where and what time. For the job she likes it, especially with travel.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-21-2004, 12:49 PM

I have one <symon looks around under papers and behind coffee cups> ... somewhere. I don't use the thing. Instead I'm getting the Treo600 or the next breed of the Motorola smart phone (whenever they finally decide to come out with the thing).
post #8 of 14 Old 07-21-2004, 9:51 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Are you bound to Nextel for work? is that the deal? I just hate the form factor for the blackberry phone units, but haven't used one. Looks like you're talking into a piece of toast! (hmm, yes..toast?)

Im with symonjester, Treo looks pretty stylin and the OS is ubercompatible and my ATTws rep keeps telling me that motorola will be the shizznit "in a few weeks". You are referring to the one with the 1.x megapixel camera right? Not a big fan of Win. but that phone does look pretty sweet and should be cheaper then the Nxtl shortly thereafter...

..but if you are fenced into nextel and want some sort of integrated solution - I guess it would serve the purpose, if you like toast
post #9 of 14 Old 07-22-2004, 3:46 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot

Yes phone is through nextel and I absolutely love it! At work we have talked to the people at www.smartcop.com and they have a version for the Blackberry that we are going to get. Would allow me to pull up records, DL's and warrants. Also look at mugshots. Pretty handy if you ask me.
Chris

Last edited by NinerPilot; 07-22-2004 at 3:48 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-22-2004, 10:02 AM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

I have a Blackberry 7280 from AT&T Wireless. It's a personal phone; I bought it on my own to replace my Sony-Ericsson - the one with the Dunlop tire tread marks on it.

I love the Blackberry...more for what it does than the actual hardware. The phone is nice enough - MUCH more solid/rugged than that flimsy/fragile Treo crap (which I also considered). Using (the Blackberry) as a phone - without a headset, that is - makes you feel like you're talking into a small calculator, but the phone works well enough. It has a QWERTY keyboard and a backlit color screen. The user interface is nice, with a scroll wheel that also clicks. Clicking the wheel brings up context menus and allows you to make quick selections (such as "delete" or "copy").

I have mine set up to forward all my web mail. I find this quite valuable for my (digital event photography) business. For example, we were on the return trip home from a NASA trackday last weekend, when I got an inquiry about an order I'd shipped out during the week. I sent a response while we were driving, and then just after I sent it, I got an e-mail from someone who was at the event we'd JUST LEFT - an order for a photo CD. I replied to that one too, then added a calendar entry to the next day to remind me to fill his order.

The internet browsing feature is cool, but there are many sites that are too complex, and they just aren't compatible. Still, it's nice to be able to do a quick search or find moive times and such (like Mojave954 said).

I also like that it synchronizes easily with Outlook (or other programs); it makes it real easy to transfer contact and calendar information between the Blackberry and the PC.

BTW - MANY people refer to the 7200/7500 series (the blue ones) as "Blueberrys". So Baketech's "Boner" wasn't off at all. Technically, it's a Blackberry, yes...but "Bluebery" is the common nickname, and a fitting one at that.

Last edited by TAZ; 07-22-2004 at 1:19 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-22-2004, 10:15 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonjester
I have one <symon looks around under papers and behind coffee cups> ... somewhere. I don't use the thing. Instead I'm getting the Treo600 or the next breed of the Motorola smart phone (whenever they finally decide to come out with the thing).
It's been out A buddy has had one for over a month
post #12 of 14 Old 07-22-2004, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
It's been out A buddy has had one for over a month
FWIW, ND, there's supposed to be a new Treo model in the works ( a model 610 maybe). The 600 is a year or so old already.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-22-2004, 1:54 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Free White Paper on Blackberrys

Insignificant Member
post #14 of 14 Old 07-22-2004, 5:44 PM

I started looking at these types of PDA phones a while back. By the time I was done I was at close to $800 for a sony.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page