Soundstream Car Audio? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 5:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Soundstream Car Audio?

I just ordered replacement chit for my car. I went with Soundstream through a hookup I have, anyone know anything about their quality? Below are the components I ordered:

> Amp: Soundstream TR800/5
> Sub: Soundstream EG-10X
> Front Components : EGC 6
> Rear Speakers : EGS 6.5

Don't know where I'm going for installation but the guy I talked to was trying to talk me into a custom fiberglass box for $600, I was like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 5:44 PM

Re: Soundstream Car Audio?

Paging Billace...

Once upon a time it was great stuff. Lately I haven't been following Car audio but I think Bill said they've gone downhill.

Dude, PM me about your new cage, my GF wants to buy a little fuel efficient cage very soon, and I'm trying to talk her out of a Golf.

post #3 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 6:46 PM
ER

What's next...ground-effects, neon-lights, and a fart-can?

Last time I did that stuff, JL Audio and Phoenix Gold were the stuff to get. I still have it all, btw...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 6:50 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER

Last time I did that stuff, JL Audio and Phoenix Gold were the stuff to get. I still have it all, btw...

I'll buy the wing and the fart can.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 7:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER
Nope. I'm going to do what I'd do with an inline 4 cylinder bike I'm replacing the headers, doing the intake, and putting a quiet cat back exhaust on it soon to get some extra horses and midrange. Car will drive as quiet as it is now, brakes need some work too, maybe new rotors, pads, and S/S lines. The suspension kicks ass stock. No wings, neon, stickers, or any other such nonsense. It's a relatively cheap car, inexpensive cars don't come with premium sound systems fisherman
post #6 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 7:23 PM
ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth23
Nope. I'm going to do what I'd do with an inline 4 cylinder bike I'm replacing the headers, doing the intake, and putting a quiet cat back exhaust on it soon to get some extra horses and midrange. Car will drive as quiet as it is now, brakes need some work too, maybe new rotors, pads, and S/S lines. The suspension kicks ass stock. No wings, neon, stickers, or any other such nonsense. It's a relatively cheap car, inexpensive cars don't come with premium sound systems fisherman
Something tells me you'd buy a washer from Sears and upgrade the water-lines, redo the motor for the drum, and add a bling-bling door.

Loud systems are still prevailent around here - especially in the fart-can crowd. In my(our) day, it was Mustangs/Camaros with Flowmaster mufflers and 15" subs in the hatch. I guess only the model of the car has changed. My ears permanently ring 24/7 from listening to NWA and Public Enemy at ridiculous DB levels.

I'm surprised your car doesn't sound good enough to you. Most of today's cars have decent systems now. My '99 Accord sounds pretty good.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 7:27 PM

Soundstream was great stuff up to around 97 when the owner passed on. His wife Donna took over, They had the highest defective rate I've ever seen in the industry going off shore when that wasn't a good thing. Their loan was called and they filed for bankruptcy. They are currently owned by Power Acoustic, which isn't the best stuff out there. At this point though, almost all car amp are made in 3 factories in Asia. It doesn't make sense to buy a brand like Rockford Fosgate when the build quality is no better than the other brands. There is a premium charged to cover their huge marketing budgets that created the brand recognition in the first place.

I've been recommending MTX lately for an inexpensive amplifier. Mitek, the parent company, didn't reach their sales projections and due to some loophole in their contract, the factory in China is permitted to sell the product themselves. That should cut a few lines of distribution and make the product easy to find on the net cheap.

In the end, it used to be $1 = 1 Watt. Now, they can build 1 Watt for around $.80 When you buy that amp that says 760 watts on the heatsink for $169, you can be sure that it won't do better than around 200 watts. There is no magic to building an amp, just BS marketing driven meaningless specs. Unless of course you are:

- Only listening to a 1,000 Hz test tone.
- You only listen for 1 second at a time.
- You don't listen at all, instead you have a shunt resistor connected to the amp to see the pretty lights it has and keep the impedance @ 4 ohms.
- Your car is always 65 degrees F.
- You have an HP 5000 watt power supply in your car.

What kind of car is it going into?
post #8 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 7:31 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER

Loud systems are still prevailent around here - especially in the fart-can crowd. In my(our) day, it was Mustangs/Camaros with Flowmaster mufflers and 15" subs in the hatch.
Do you still have a mullet?
post #9 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 7:50 PM
ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Not anymore, but I still miss it. I had the business up front, party in the rear mullet...in 1988 that is.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 7:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAce

What kind of car is it going into?
Civic HB.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-21-2004, 8:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER
Something tells me you'd buy a washer from Sears and upgrade the water-lines, redo the motor for the drum, and add a bling-bling door.

Loud systems are still prevailent around here - especially in the fart-can crowd. In my(our) day, it was Mustangs/Camaros with Flowmaster mufflers and 15" subs in the hatch. I guess only the model of the car has changed. My ears permanently ring 24/7 from listening to NWA and Public Enemy at ridiculous DB levels.

I'm surprised your car doesn't sound good enough to you. Most of today's cars have decent systems now. My '99 Accord sounds pretty good.
No I wouldn't upgrade a washer, come on
It will be possible to be loud in the car but not out of it with the windows rolled up. 1 10" woofer back there is just for some decent bass, I'm not trying to be part of the gold tooth pete crowd
The sound system in that car is shite. The last car I had (Type S RSX) had a good enough system in it from the factory but it wasn't loud enough. Of the Japanese cars I've ridden in, the Nissans seem to have the best systems (referring to Maximas) I've heard from the factory. Honda puts decent stuff in the Accord for the most part. I got this car for so little, and the payments on it are the same I paid when I made 35k less 3 1/2 years ago, so I'd like to spend some $ on the stereo, power, and brakes. It's a damn fun car, handles like a car that costs twice as much. Should be very similar handling to the new minicoopers, reminds me of a 600.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-22-2004, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth23
Civic HB.
Ditch the rear speakers and get these up front.

http://www.qlogic.ws/2003/home/

The stock rear speakers are fine for "rear fill", put the front stereo speakers in a better location.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-22-2004, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD

Way to funny. Boy am I glad those fashion days in the past. Every now and then I see some dude still sporting one of those cuts. I cannot help but laugh. Immediately I think of that country singer who sings that song “ache breake heart”. Or that movie "Joe Dirt".
post #14 of 18 Old 07-22-2004, 12:54 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Paging Billace...

Once upon a time it was great stuff. Lately I haven't been following Car audio but I think Bill said they've gone downhill.

Yup. I was into car audio back in the early 90's, when I had a CRX. Soundstream was what you wanted for amps and subs. I haven't kept up with it recently, but I have heard that Soundstream isn't as hot as they used to be.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-22-2004, 2:52 PM

RMS power is what matters. I would go with 12's or even 10's due to the slower response of anything else. Power is power for subs basically. Doesn't need to be all that clean. Anything with a s/n ratio over about 85 is fine. Your reproducing tones in the 500hz or less range (unless your asking the subs for fill). Quality subs with large mags are still important with venter poles to bleed off heat and to control cone/pole/vc excursion. Rubber surround is nice and durable in a car audio app but I still prefer foam. Me personal fav's are still JL's. Under rated power handling for not too huge dollars. Amp wise, ahhhhhh,,,,, not real sure now. Been out a while. PPI was the craze a few years back. MTX is nice. My personal amps of choice were Orion. Ran an HCCA for the longest time. Solid power (could double as a generator). They were 1/4ohm stable (HCCA only) and were very versatile.

Up front, quality is key.... Amps should be real high s/n ratio. Speakers should be clear. Seperates. MB's, BA's are about the std (or were). Can run them 180* out of phase for more fill. Like mentioned above, it's still about the dollar per watt rating for good stuff.

My .01....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page