Buying a Boat - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-11-2003, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Buying a Boat

It's a 13 yr old 19 ft Cobia cuddy with a 4.3 & a mercruiser lower unit. It's been in a garage for 8 yrs. I can deal with the engine side of life after it has sat. Possible gaskets & seals prone to leak,Burning oil - Bla Bla Bla, but i don't know *bout that there Merrrrrrrrrrrcruiser lower unit. *Any helpful hints on what to watch for would be greatfully appreciated.

79 CB750F
01 929 RE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2003, 1:39 AM

Reputation Power: 18

The first thing that comes to my mind was did they winterize it properly. Look for anything cracked in the motor area. Look at the exhaust manifolds...thats one of the first things to freeze and a lot of ppl will weld it up and sell it off rather then fix it right. Look at the rubber boot that seals out the water between the motor and the outdrive. Look for rot in this area. A new boot is not cheap plus the labor will kill ya to replace it. The lower unit itself has an oil bath in it and I would check that for water as well. If you buy this boat then I would change it also because of the year and the length of storage. In the bullet looking part of the unit is a slotted screw to drain and fill it. In the middle of the unit is another and that is the check level one. You fill from the bottom up. Pull these one at a time and check for water.
*Lower units cost thousands so its good that you're checking into this. Take this boat for a ride before you buy. Don't just toss the hose to the lower unit and run it. Take it to a lake or something. If they can't for whatever reason then walk because I've seen to many ppl buy it then find out later that something was wrong. When you do run it watch for the motor temp. People love to start up the boat for a quick second(out of the water) and in turn start to fry the rubber impeller for the cooling system. The joy of paying someone to split the lower unit and install a chunk of rubber
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Good luck

post #3 of 6 Old 07-12-2003, 2:12 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Is it an Alpha or bravo outdrive? Probaly and Alpha with that small motor. The water pump for the motor is inside Alpha drives, you MUST replace the rubber impeller b4 you run it, they usualy dont last a season or two normaly. And of course change all the fluids, including drive, filters, and perhaps a tune up. If the motors hasent been run in that long, you will probaly have to drain the fuel tank(s) and clean out the carb. Let me know if you need anything, I'm in the marine industry and we are a Mercruiser dealer. If I dont have it, I can order it.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-12-2003, 2:14 AM

Oh, and never forget, boats are holes in the water you throw cash into BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand
post #5 of 6 Old 07-13-2003, 7:41 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Thanks for the advice guys , I'll keep you posted on what happens. As for now the Mrs. does not ! like the Cuddy so I think that boat is out .
Later on
Cody

79 CB750F
01 929 RE
post #6 of 6 Old 07-13-2003, 9:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to ccwilli3 Send a message via Yahoo to ccwilli3

yes, the water pump... Don't be tempted to start the motor out of the water, it'll cook the water pump in the housing and then you'll have no more water pump!

I'd start there in the lower unit, then possibly swap out thelower unit oil, check to see if its milky, if it is, it has water in it. bad bad bad...

But change the lower unit grease anyway (as you'll pull it down for the water pump anyway) and then check it after you run it once. If it doesn't show signs of water then you should be okay. If it turns milky or shows water again or something like that, it'll need some work... But, you have to take it down to replace the water pump anyway, so you may as well have it looked at while its in there...

VEE DUBB in da house... representin deutchland!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page