Some more Navy questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-11-2004, 4:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Some more Navy questions

So my recruiter called me today telling me about some new deal for Seabees. He told me he could get me 2 years of active duty, and 6 years of reserve duty. Its some new deal that they are offering, I can't remember the name of it. But he also said that most of the positions will be filled quickly, and if I wanted to do it I need to sign up within the next couple weeks. He said if I wanted to get a job on an oil rig, seabees would be the best route. Have any of you been a Seabee? Whats it like? He said a steel worker might be a good specialty for working on an oil rig, and he said Seabees are cross trained in many different areas as well. Very unsure about what I want to do, and if the Navy is right for me. I like the idea of 2 years active rather than 4 years active, but I'm kind of worried if the training will be what I need. I don't like the idea that I have to make a decision within a couple weeks, I like to be 100% sure before I go signing multiple years of my life to the government. Do any of you have some advice to give me ? Anyone else have suggestions of other methods besides the armed forces for good training that will guarantee me a good career and with good pay? I know its hard to suggest things for someone who you don't really know much about, but I am open to suggestions. I have been pretty depressed cause I have had so much trouble deciding which direction to go in. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated, I just need a little guidance.

Thanks
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-11-2004, 4:39 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Re: Some more Navy questions

And if you order now, we'll send you another (insert product name here) absolutely free, but only if you order in the NEXT 10 MINUTES!!!!!!

sound familiar?

Call him back and tell him the Air Force made you a better offer and they said you can get it any time you want . . .

and your girlfriend too.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-11-2004, 4:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

If you don't deal crack in Compton or are a thug from Detroit, you have no business in the US Military.

Signed,
The Great Mind of Proto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-11-2004, 4:43 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
If you don't deal crack in Compton or are a thug from Detroit, you have no business in the US Military.

Signed,
The Great Mind of Proto.
Hey, I'm a thug from Detroit and I was an officer

Proto must be right!

and your girlfriend too.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-11-2004, 5:03 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Send a message via AIM to Heavy-Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
And if you order now, we'll send you another (insert product name here) absolutely free, but only if you order in the NEXT 10 MINUTES!!!!!!

sound familiar?

Call him back and tell him the Air Force made you a better offer and they said you can get it any time you want . . .

Exactly. Recruiters (from what I have heard, no real experience) are not always totally honest.

Think of it this way. This is the ONLY time when you will have complete control over yourself. They want YOU. You have all the power.

Choose wisely, and stick to your guns. Sorta like buying a car.

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
Suomy Helmets | RK Chain | PowerStands | LeoVince
SponsorHouse
post #6 of 18 Old 08-11-2004, 6:02 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I know it sounds very familiar Abtech, I know I shouldn't let them pressure me into signing due to time constraints. And DBA you really think the Navy is a waste unless I have no other options? I know on the other thread I started some members said the training was very basic, and I would probably be doing one little thing all the time, instead of being trained to do a vast range of skills in the field I choose. Is this really true, is Navy training not as comprehensive as I have been lead to believe? The only reason I am considered the Navy is for the training, if the training sucks, I won't go. I'm really just looking for a cheap way to get training for a good career. I was never given the option of college, even though my grades have always been very good. I don't want to go the route of student loans, cause most people I know with student loans are paying them off with a job that has nothing to do with their degree, which doesn't sound very good to me. And since I'm just a white kid, there are not too many grants or scholarships for me these days. I've attended courses at cummunity college, but honestly they were some of the worst classes I have ever been to. The classes were nothing more than the teacher reading straight from the book. So I have started to investigate trade schools, and the Navy. So anyone have any good career advice to give me? I don't care if it has nothing to do with anything I have mentioned thus far. Just looking for a promising career that will allow me to have hobbies like motorcycle club racing, please anyone point me in direction and kick me in the ass.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-11-2004, 6:04 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13

I had no idea that it was like that. I thought you just signed up and did your time.

Recruiters and salesmen

Are all liars
post #8 of 18 Old 08-11-2004, 6:43 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116

Signed,
The Great Mind of Proto.
The US Military gives you and i the freedom that we have. Be careful of what you say.

Nick,

Don't worry about the time limitations. They will take you whenever. Its better that you are ready. What is it that you like? The Army was my choice, I get to do more on my feet, and do what I love Jump. Decide what it is you would like to do before signing.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-11-2004, 6:57 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Quick
Yeah I know it sounds very familiar Abtech, I know I shouldn't let them pressure me into signing due to time constraints. And DBA you really think the Navy is a waste unless I have no other options? I know on the other thread I started some members said the training was very basic, and I would probably be doing one little thing all the time, instead of being trained to do a vast range of skills in the field I choose. Is this really true, is Navy training not as comprehensive as I have been lead to believe? The only reason I am considered the Navy is for the training, if the training sucks, I won't go. I'm really just looking for a cheap way to get training for a good career. I was never given the option of college, even though my grades have always been very good. I don't want to go the route of student loans, cause most people I know with student loans are paying them off with a job that has nothing to do with their degree, which doesn't sound very good to me. And since I'm just a white kid, there are not too many grants or scholarships for me these days. I've attended courses at cummunity college, but honestly they were some of the worst classes I have ever been to. The classes were nothing more than the teacher reading straight from the book. So I have started to investigate trade schools, and the Navy. So anyone have any good career advice to give me? I don't care if it has nothing to do with anything I have mentioned thus far. Just looking for a promising career that will allow me to have hobbies like motorcycle club racing, please anyone point me in direction and kick me in the ass.
You have to ask yourself what do you really want to do. There is nothing better than going to a job you love.

Don't drive a hearse in the carpool lane.
F.D. 2844
post #10 of 18 Old 08-11-2004, 7:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfastrr
The US Military gives you and i the freedom that we have. Be careful of what you say.

Nick,

Don't worry about the time limitations. They will take you whenever. Its better that you are ready. What is it that you like? The Army was my choice, I get to do more on my feet, and do what I love Jump. Decide what it is you would like to do before signing.
Take a good look at how my post is signed, then look up sarcasm in your dictionary.
I have complete and total respect for our military - the greatest military on the planet.
I have nothing but complete contempt and disregard for the worthless proto.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-11-2004, 7:24 PM

Reputation Power: 32

I'll speak as the dad of a son in the USMC.

The military can be a very good place for training, earning money for college, benefits, etc. It can give you a sense of pride like no other.

It can also frustrate the heck out of you because of silly bureaucracy, being surrounded by people that aren't as dedicated as you are, long hours, grunt work, etc. - although those things are true of any job you might have.

Until recently, being inactive meant very little, because the inactive were historically rarely called back for duty, although obligated to do so if called. With the world being as it is today, and our military being stretched rather thin, inactive status very likely means you will be called back, whether you want to or not. My son has heard of people that are going to Europe or using drugs of some sort just to avoid being called back from inactive status. Imagine starting a new life after your military service is over - working your way up in a job, getting married, going to school or whatever, and Uncle Sam taps on your shoulder and says - "we need you back in Afghanistan." That would be pretty tough to take.

I do agree that recruiters are paid to be salesman - to get you to sign on the dotted line, sometimes using dubious practices to get you there. Some are definitely more scrupulous than others.

I would say that you shouldn't rush into any decision. The need for quality people for the military isn't going away anytime soon; therefore the incentives they offer won't suddenly go away either (unless Kerry becomes President! ).
post #12 of 18 Old 08-12-2004, 3:51 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via AIM to DRider Send a message via MSN to DRider

Personal opinion of someone who spent 6 years in the Navy:

Don't sweat the "positions filling up fast" line What the recruiter wants is to pull you in during the end of summer/fall the reason is two-fold:
1. This is the time when the sign-up bonuses are the lowest since there's usually an influx of just graduated kids who are in the same boat as you. If your not planning on taking the NCF (Navy college fund) the point is moot. If you want the cash bonus the time of the year you sign up makes a BIG difference. Unless this whole war nonsense has changed the recruitment process the full bonus isn't available to you until the march/april timeframe. Of course the added bonus of not having to attend boot camp in the dead of winter is a nice little perk in and off itself. I thought great mistakes Ills. was horribly cold and it was only October. ymmv.

2. The fiscal year ends in October, this means that they need to make their yearly quotas NOW or they get a mark on their record. This also means that the billet sheets are wiped clean at this time and all the jobs the navy has for the year are reopened. Like I said, the war may have changed some of this but I sincerly doubt it.

SeaBees are not really a position that fills up fast either, at least on the active duty end, there's usually a glut in the reserve end, although I don't know how this affects their recruitment numbers.

As far as training; SeaBee is kind of a generic, all encompassing term. The construction battalion has a bevy of specialized professions from the heavy equipment operators to electricians. What 'A' school you get depends on your scores and more importantly what the Navy needs when you join. If you join when they need bulldozer operators chances are you ain't going to an oil rig (hell, who knew the navy even had oil rigs). The recruiter most likely doesn't know the specific manning needs since he doesn't need to and even if he did I doubt he'd give you a straight answer, he's knows what you want and that's the line he's going to feed you.

Addressing your career:

I was in a similar predicament as you. Grad HS, low grades, getting in trouble, didn't know what I was going to do, unlike you I joined on a complete whim.

While I wasn't happy in the Navy at least I had some direction in life, instead of bouncing around my hometown I got out and was doing SOMETHING. I'd like to think that I became more mature and responsible individual while doing my time. Also had time think and figure out what I wanted to do the rest of my life. Unfortunately it was surfing but I also figured out what I was going to do about cash and my education. I'm back in college learning something completely different from what I was trained to do while in the Navy but I wouldn't call it wasted time, good experience, good times, good friends. It wasn't for me careerwise but overall positive.

Good luck in your decision, don't let anyone pressure you or rush you in anyway, it's not something to be taken lightly.

will

Last edited by DRider; 08-12-2004 at 3:53 AM.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Sponsor

Reputation Power: 21

Seabees. They are Construction Workers! End of story! They are shipped all over the world to BUILD things, move dirt, play in the dirt under the hot sun. Yes, they operate bulldozers and also operate shovels ALOT! Your first two years, since you WON'T have any rank over anyone, you will get to know that shovel VERY WELL, and BROOM! I've seen more Seabees OVERSEAS than I have in the US! I doubt you will be building anything on an oilrig while a Seabee. Hell, they don't build ANYTHING on an oilrig, except maybe small culptures with a deck of cards. Most of the people on an oilrig are Civilian. The only oilrigs we have are used for refueling our ships at sea. Refueling with oil, gas, food and water. On an oilrig, the only navy people are communications people (IT), electronics techs (ET's), and signalman (SM). I think you have a high ranking officer on there also, but my room mate doesn't think so from someone he had talked to that was on one...He's an E-6, I'm an E-5, both FC's.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-12-2004, 5:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts. I'm still waiting to hear back from someone in the offshore oil rig business, he has been in the business for 30 years. I asked him for his opinion on the Navy as route into the business. I'm pretty sure he will give me similar responces as you guys. So now I'm leaning away from Navy, but I haven't entirely giving up on the option, but I know it will always be there so I don't need to join untill I'm sure it is for me. I'm just going to continue to explore different career options until I find the perfect job for ME. I just hope I can find something that makes me smile in the morning. Thanks again yall, I'm sure this isn't the last time I seek career advice from yall.

Thanks
Nick

Last edited by Nick the Quick; 08-12-2004 at 5:34 PM.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-12-2004, 8:41 PM

Don't do it

I think that you are looking at the military for the wrong reason, which is get training/experience for a job on an oil rig. If that is your sole purpose for joining I would say--like somebody else on your earlier thread--to just go to a trade school. This way, you are choosing the skill in which you will be proficient in. Do not forget what military life is all about: If called upon, are you ready to die for your country? Maybe I am being overly dramatic but the mission comes first over your own personal welfare. There will be many times when you will be asked to sacrifice something, be it a weekend or ulitmately, your life. Just ask yourself, is that something you truly want to do?

Like Silverbullet said, Seabees are just construction workers. Why do you think they are willing to take just a 2 year commitment? Beacause they do not have any time or money invested in you. How hard is it to train someone to dig a trench, or hammer together some 2x4's? I don't think the Navy would hand out a 2 year contract to somebody in a technical field, especially when the school alone could last for 6 months or more.

just my thoughts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page