Have you run into this? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 09-06-2004, 7:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Have you run into this?

I got to ride all 3 days during the weekend, phenomenal riding. 6 tanks of fuel, and nothing but blasting through twisties, rear tire is starting to get worn to **** on the edges. During these 3 days, I ran into 3 different guys while stopping for fuel, and one of them while I was prepping the RC in my garage. Each one of these guys had a story to tell, and each conversion went like this.... "I remember when I had a bike, boy was that fun, I had a few Hondas, and a few Yamahas...." Then I would ask why they aren't riding today and I got the same answer "I'm married, and the wife would never let me have one again..". I've heard this before, you know you stop for gas, a guy walks up with his kid and says "nice bike" etc. On my ride today, I stopped next to the river and took a break, and the same thing happened. This guy was like "Man I used to love to ride but that was before I got married " I felt sorry for these guys, you only live once. Ran into this?

22 days until it begins...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-06-2004, 7:43 PM
Sponsor

Reputation Power: 21

Re: Have you run into this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth23
I got to ride all 3 days during the weekend, phenomenal riding. 6 tanks of fuel, and nothing but blasting through twisties, rear tire is starting to get worn to **** on the edges. During these 3 days, I ran into 3 different guys while stopping for fuel, and one of them while I was prepping the RC in my garage. Each one of these guys had a story to tell, and each conversion went like this.... "I remember when I had a bike, boy was that fun, I had a few Hondas, and a few Yamahas...." Then I would ask why they aren't riding today and I got the same answer "I'm married, and the wife would never let me have one again..". I've heard this before, you know you stop for gas, a guy walks up with his kid and says "nice bike" etc. On my ride today, I stopped next to the river and took a break, and the same thing happened. This guy was like "Man I used to love to ride but that was before I got married " I felt sorry for these guys, you only live once. Ran into this?

Yep, on occasion. I have more wanna be riders talking to me about the bike and wanting one soooooooo bad they can't hardly stand it. Kind of amusing most of the time.
post #3 of 31 Old 09-06-2004, 8:09 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

"I could've bought one of those but we got a dining set instead..."

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 09-06-2004, 8:16 PM
DUX

I took my Dad's advice many years ago. "Never get rid of a motorcycle unless you're replacing it with another bike."

To the guys who blame it on the wife, you're looking for an excuse or you married the wrong woman.

Last edited by DUX; 09-06-2004 at 8:16 PM.
post #5 of 31 Old 09-06-2004, 8:38 PM

Reputation Power: 50

I have, and I refuse to marry a girl that at least can't accept my bike. She doesn't have to like it or have anything to do with it, but she'll have to deal with the fact that I own one(or more) and probably will for a long time.
post #6 of 31 Old 09-06-2004, 8:46 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I traded my 954 for a cruiser thinkin my wife would like the comfort better. Turns out she liked the 954 just fine. Now she is telling me to get whatever bike I want. So....when the cruiser is gone its time for the CBR1000RR.
And I get to replace the GSXR600 racebike I had to sell to get the earnest money for our new house. I guess I'm lucky to find such an understanding wife.
post #7 of 31 Old 09-06-2004, 8:58 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to MrX954 Send a message via Yahoo to MrX954

I have had that happen to me especially when I ride my RS50, since the bike draws so much attention and sparks curiosity in so many ppl's heads, I just take comfort in knowing I'll never be that guy asking the questions.

X
post #8 of 31 Old 09-06-2004, 9:05 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13

I have heard that one at least once. My girl accepts it and in fact usually is gets into it with me. If you are into it hardcore you need to have a girl who at least will accept it
post #9 of 31 Old 09-06-2004, 9:07 PM
Fig

Reputation Power: 19

Booth,
Let's just say my 929 was my divorce gift to myself.... Not to mention it helped me get through it.
Fig
post #10 of 31 Old 09-06-2004, 11:51 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth23
Being married should not be a reason that you don't ride these guys are just suckers. Maybe its the kids and the mini-van payments.

Don't drive a hearse in the carpool lane.
F.D. 2844

Last edited by coderedcbr; 09-06-2004 at 11:52 PM.
post #11 of 31 Old 09-07-2004, 12:05 AM

Reputation Power: 32

I did get out of motorcycling for almost 20 years once we started having kids. It was probably more a money decision than a safety one, but safety was certainly a part of it too. There is no question that motorcycling involves a certain amount of risk, and my top priority has been (and continues to be) to be there for my kids. It tempers my potential lunacy on the bike (somewhat) to this day.

However, once our boys were 12 and 14, I bought the three of us motorcycles, to expose them to the joy of riding, and to teach them how to do it safely. My wife was never crazy about the idea, but she knows and trusts my commitment to their safety. I took my younger son to STAR school earlier this year, after he decided to buy an R6. I think motorcycling is awesome, but it has to be done with respect for the inherent danger.
post #12 of 31 Old 09-07-2004, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

My girl rides too

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #13 of 31 Old 09-07-2004, 2:06 AM

post #14 of 31 Old 09-07-2004, 9:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhip
I did get out of motorcycling for almost 20 years once we started having kids. It was probably more a money decision than a safety one, but safety was certainly a part of it too. There is no question that motorcycling involves a certain amount of risk, and my top priority has been (and continues to be) to be there for my kids. It tempers my potential lunacy on the bike (somewhat) to this day.

However, once our boys were 12 and 14, I bought the three of us motorcycles, to expose them to the joy of riding, and to teach them how to do it safely. My wife was never crazy about the idea, but she knows and trusts my commitment to their safety. I took my younger son to STAR school earlier this year, after he decided to buy an R6. I think motorcycling is awesome, but it has to be done with respect for the inherent danger.
Glad you taught your kids that it is fun but it also has to be respected. My dad did the same with me at 11. He was an ex harley rider and loved the sport so when I turned 11 he started to teach me about bikes (mainly dirt). While I have a ball every time I ride there is always a thought in my mind that keeps me from riding to close to the edge of my abilities (besides the fossil I ride )
post #15 of 31 Old 09-07-2004, 9:12 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig
Booth,
Let's just say my 929 was my divorce gift to myself.... Not to mention it helped me get through it.
Fig

Huh, added to my divorce also, I slept on the ship for two days when I came home with my 929. HA, I was happy though!!!! It did take two years later before we split for good, but I still heard about it often! The wife is gone, the bike STAYED

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page