Dell tech support - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 4:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Dell tech support

SUCKS MAJOR ASS!

I have no talked to two different people and placed on hold twice...now approaching 45 minutes....and they have only now managed to get my name and address correct.

Does anyone speak English?!
AAAAAArrrrrrrrrgh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 5:01 PM

Re: Dell tech support

Told ya . . .
post #3 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 5:02 PM

Reputation Power: 50

End user tech support sucks. We have the gold program at work, it's decent. Not stellar, but at least you can communicate with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 5:31 PM

I have a client that has a national agreement with Dell and has purchased some 45,000 (Yep, that would be 45 large) PCs from them. The local office has a "Dell return room" that is approximately 40' by 80' and is packed floor to ceiling with Dell PCs waiting to be returned because they either:

Didn't work out of the box
Crashed withing 30 days and the resident "Dell" tech can't get them running
Have either self destructed or caught on fire

Dell will not take more than 10 machines returned every 7 days per office from this company that has spent more than 22 million bucks with them over the past 4 years, so this company has had to create 2 positions entitled "Dell Returns" and they handle the in and out of Dell hardware.

If IBM let this situation develop, they would hear from everyone from the President on down, but since Michael Dell is such an industry darling, people just let it go on. I have resigned my services from 3 clients within the past 12 months because they insisted on purchasing Dell Servers, because for me it's a no-win situation trying to stand behind someone elses shoddy work . . .

Last edited by abtech; 09-17-2004 at 5:32 PM.
post #5 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 5:33 PM Thread Starter

72 minutes...and apparently THEIR systems just went down.
post #6 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
End user tech support sucks. We have the gold program at work, it's decent. Not stellar, but at least you can communicate with them.
We have Gold support as well and while it's not great...it's way better than end user support.
post #7 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
Told ya . . .
the guy that owns my company owns a major stake in Dell. We get a paltry discount with them. I know a lot of people like them, but hey, a lot of people like tripe too
post #8 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
the guy that owns my company owns a major stake in Dell. We get a paltry discount with them. I know a lot of people like them, but hey, a lot of people like tripe too
At least there is a legal definition for tripe . . .
post #9 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 5:54 PM Thread Starter

well, hey I just got a "senior level technician" on the phone, told him to F off when he asked for my name address phone number service tag and email address. When I asked him if HE could help me or if he was just going to transfer me to somebody else he said "please wait while I transfer you." I'm still mad but now I'm starting to have fun throwing out words like "class action suit" and "attorneys" and "mass murder".
post #10 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 6:00 PM

Their servers do suck. But then again IBM tech support enlightened us that even with 5 drives in a Raid 5 configuration if you lose 2 drives you're screwed. Someone explain that one to me....

I've been relatively happy with their workstations. We bought ~30 of them this summer and ended up with 2 defective ones. One had a bad stick of ram, the other has a bad on-board video.
post #11 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Their servers do suck. But then again IBM tech support enlightened us that even with 5 drives in a Raid 5 configuration if you lose 2 drives you're screwed. Someone explain that one to me....

I've been relatively happy with their workstations. We bought ~30 of them this summer and ended up with 2 defective ones. One had a bad stick of ram, the other has a bad on-board video.
Ummmm, do you have a definition handy for RAID5? Raid 5 in the original spec (not 50 or 5+) means that regardless of the number of drives in the array (3 to XXX), each drive has the parity for all drives and you may disconnect (or fail) 1 element and retain integrity without parity. Lose 1 more and you're toast. This has been defined very explicitly since 1990 when RAID levels 0,1 and 5 were defined. There are several sites on the web that can explain this in more depth, but in the end, lose 1 drive in a non-spare 5 array and you'll be reviewing your backup logs . . .
post #12 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 6:13 PM

Then our admin doesn't know what he's talking about 'cuz according to him we should be allowed to lose 2 disks before the whole thing dies What do I know?
post #13 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Then our admin doesn't know what he's talking about 'cuz according to him we should be allowed to lose 2 disks before the whole thing dies What do I know?
Your admin must think he is using "RAID5 with spare" because anything else will fail with 1 drive down . . . How much does your admin make? This is basic networking 101 stuff . . .
post #14 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
Your admin must think he is using "RAID5 with spare" because anything else will fail with 1 drive down . . . How much does your admin make? This is basic networking 101 stuff . . .
Too much, I'm beginning to realize with this compiled next to some other stuff I've noticed....
post #15 of 48 Old 09-17-2004, 6:34 PM
CRU

Reputation Power: 19

So if Dell sucks. What PC would you guys recommend. I'm gonna be picking a laptop pretty soon and was thinking of a Dell. But hearing these horror stories, what other options are available? Looking for a good solid laptop that won't crap out on me after a few months.

Any ideas?

Confucius say, "Foolish man give wife piano. Wise man give wife upright organ."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page