Melatonin (yes, a weird but serious question) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 09-19-2004, 4:06 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

Melatonin (yes, a weird but serious question)

...anyone here ever been told they have a melatonin deficiency?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-19-2004, 6:18 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Melatonin (yes, a weird but serious question)

Not really. Are you having problems sleeping?
post #3 of 21 Old 09-19-2004, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeStrangeGuy
...anyone here ever been told they have a melatonin deficiency?
Yeh, My mom says I should try some. From what my mom tells me it helps you find the deep sleep and you wake up rested. She also told me it leaves you prone to oversleeping.

I am guessing that it is the opposite effect of alcohol and sleep. Ya know how you dont wake up rested after a night of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 09-20-2004, 11:24 AM

Take 3-4 every night. Helps you get to sleep fast. Not so much of a sleeping aid per say but helps get you relaxed and sleeping. You wake up nicely rested.

Worth a try if you find yourself tossing and turning before you can fall asleep.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-20-2004, 2:42 PM

Guys I know who have trouble with jet lag swear by it.

post #6 of 21 Old 09-20-2004, 2:45 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Is it over the counter or perscription?

Ride Red
post #7 of 21 Old 09-20-2004, 2:51 PM

Reputation Power: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro
Is it over the counter or perscription?
Over the counter. People who don't have very regular circadian rythm often due to lack of exposure to natural light (from the sun), or travel (jet lag) benefit greatly from it.

I do all my own stunts.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-20-2004, 2:54 PM

OTC. Walmart and places such should have it for a few bucks for like 100. Get the 3mg one's (tabs). Work pretty well.
post #9 of 21 Old 09-20-2004, 2:57 PM

Very active people can also be suspect due to increased testosterone levels. Many runners use this for a sleep aid. Non-habit forming. Doesn't eat away at the stomach lining either. Work pretty well.

Just make sure the wife or gf isn't looking for some because once your in bed, it won't be but 10min and you'll be out.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-21-2004, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Cool, all good schit- thanks y'all

I have been taking it for about a week and having some positive experience with it. I got the 250size 3mg @ 15$ I think. Take one in the evening awhile after dinner, or just before if its a late one. I spoke with a pharmacist about it, one night on a sleepless fit decided to take a ride over to a 24h CVS and chat with the 3rd shift guy about it, I figure he might know

I did this because I hate the fact that any sleeping pill is 12h (at least in my system it is), plus anything on the shelf is basically histamine and just kind of dulls me to sleep. I can get up from most stuff after 6-7 hours but it's like I live the rest of my day through flashbacks if I do, really weird. Oh yeah sorry, mildly habit forming too, that was my biggest gripe - use it once and the next day is 54 hours for me. Most nites If I lay down to go to bed I'll lay there all night, if I plunk down in front of the pc I never get tired, if I find the worlds most boring tv - I'll weld it into my mind until I can't bear to interpret Spanish anymore even if being nearly topless is acceptable on their channel. Eventually I hit "the end" and pass out due to boredom or something, typically 18 minutes before my alarm goes off....Which then blares until security, my gf calls, or the local FD shows up to shut it off. But needless to say sleep for me has never been a consistently occuring rigid scheduled thing for me (awesome when I was 15-25 ) not so good now.

But like I said - been taking it ~7/8pm every night for the last week and have been amazed at how much better I sleep, how quicker I fall asleep and can get relaxed, how refreshed I am in the morning and how now an alarm actually has an effect on me. Pharmacist guy stated that as folks get older blah blah their bodies expend less melatonin and thus they sleep less, and highly stressfull lifestyles can promote this occuring faster..hmm.
I looked into it some before I came home and downed the "natural"(?) supplement, and seems for folks like me it might be the perfect thing. I have been oncall for the last 10 years, midstroke of this timeframe was working 12 hour days and being up 2-3-4 times a night on service calls and still making my 7am appt. the next day, well sometimes I did. Sadly that picture of the totalled Tacoma I posted awhile back maybe makes more sense now. I "learned my lesson" back then and changed alot of things after that incident to prevent this from happening but never quite beat it. Then some other crap happened and blah, now Im spilling my guts on the internet to a bunch of crazy people reading a post I almost titled Melonoma

But...schits just about regulation and I wanted to get views on it or those that do know of it/know of those that do etc. and make sure this wasn't some weird addictive drug/chemical etc. (like ephedrine would be on the inverse of the situation say). I appreciate all your feedback/inputs on the issue and you can all look forward to less 2am posts from me in the future
post #11 of 21 Old 09-21-2004, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone
Yeh, My mom says I should try some. From what my mom tells me it helps you find the deep sleep and you wake up rested. She also told me it leaves you prone to oversleeping.

I am guessing that it is the opposite effect of alcohol and sleep. Ya know how you dont wake up rested after a night of
Thats interesting - I have experienced the exact opposite with the oversleeping thing, but refreshed-ness all I can say is damn!
post #12 of 21 Old 09-21-2004, 12:39 AM

Great topic, I'm going to give it a shot. My sleep rytham has been screwed for 10 years. My internal clock is alike 12 hours off. I'm tired when I wake up, ok during the day, exhausted in the evening, but then wide awake after 9pm. Make myself go to bed around 2am, wake up at 7. The only time I ever slept well was when I was working 7pm-7am shift for 6 months and it was fantastic. Did you start with 3mg, or 1.5mg?

Mike
post #13 of 21 Old 09-21-2004, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeStrangeGuy
I spoke with a pharmacist about it, one night on a sleepless fit decided to take a ride over to a 24h CVS and chat with the 3rd shift guy about it, I figure he might know
That is some funny ****! Glad to hear you're having positive experiences with this. I know that when I have only one sleepness night, I am wasted for the entire next day - not fun. Hope this solves your problem SSG!
post #14 of 21 Old 09-21-2004, 2:10 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
ThatHope this solves your problem SSG!
One down, so many to go - but hoping it is the beginning of a positive trend. Thanks for the well wishes B

GFJ - I have 3mg's and thats what I take (1) of every night. Bottle says not to take more then 3mg. in less then a 24hour span . I have taken them as late as 1am without any ill effect the next day. Bearing in mind I'm typically a 2 coffee guy in the AM and I tend to make overefficient use of caffeine at a nonlinear rate. Therefore I try to not have any of it after 6pm unless I'm already planning on a late night.

I'm only up this late tonight because I'm making a video for work tomorrow (and I'm having a damned hard time waiting for it to render ) so nice to finally be tired at this time, normally I'd just be making entirely useless posts..vs...weird "health with ssg" columnar activities
post #15 of 21 Old 09-21-2004, 2:31 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
That is some funny ****!
I wish I had an audio track of the convo., I'll just leave it at that

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page