boaters anyone????? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-20-2004, 2:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

boaters anyone?????

I would like to share with you my boating experience that I had yesterday. My friend called at 8:30am and wanted to know if I would like to join him on his new boat that he purchased several months ago. I am on big on boating because it just seems like to much work and to much expense for a hobby. I accepted his offer because it was another opportunity for me to throw the leg over and ride the bike.

My main dilemma was how I was going to carry boating attire and ride the bike. Now, I could not ride the bike in shorts, tank top, and sandals. That would be to squidly. If the orgers found out, I am sure flames would be coming my way. Admins and moderators might even . So I decided to use one of my children’s backpack. The only one I could find was my daughters Scooby-Doo(see attachment) pack. I did not care how I looked. I just wanted to go. Once I had the essentials packed (forgot the sun block), I threw the pack on my back. My wife laughed her ass off as I drove away.

One of the nice things (there are a couple) about living in Melbourne is it is a boater paradise. Along Brevard County, there is a body of water called the Intercostal Waterway. This is a great place to boat or sail. So I met my friend at the boat launch where it connects to this body of water. He bought a new Yamaha AR230. This is a jet boat. It has dual 130HP M-R1 engines. Wow, what a nice looking boat (picture below). It took about 5 minutes of idle speed to get out to the channel. Once we were out there, he slams both throttles on full and a way we went. I almost fell out of my seat. This boat hauls ass. We almost were instantly up to 48mph. I was amazed. My friend then demonstrated how maneuverable the boat was. I swear the boat could turn on a dime. What a rush. We spent about an hour and a half on the water haulin’ ass all over the place. What a nice piece of machinery it even for a Yamaha product. (No insult intended for those Yamaha rider) I wonder if Honda has a boat in the works.

The whole boat experience was a great rush. However…….., once I got back on the bike and pulled away from the boat dock, the boat experience quickly disappeared. I was grinning from ear-to-ear because it was more of a rush on the 954 than riding a boat.

So I was wondering if anybody here owns a boat and what type?????? Are there any speed demons of the water here on the org?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-20-2004, 2:41 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Re: boaters anyone?????

Ya, I'm always haulin' ass in my Bass Tracker. It's got a 40hp Johnson outboard and a trolling motor up front. A deck seat fore and aft, and an aerated live well. The thing goes almost 30mph if trimmed perfictly in smooth water conditions. We've floated the boat in only 10" of water. It turns pretty good also, just be careful not to cavitate too much upon straightening out the steering.
Great times!

Ride Red

Last edited by nedro; 09-20-2004 at 2:43 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-20-2004, 3:24 PM
dB

Jet Boat Tip o' the Day: STAY ON THE THROTTLE! This is especially important whilst barrelling towards shore to impress your friends with a last second turn.

That is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-20-2004, 7:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

The boss of the company I used to work for owned a 29' Scarab with twin 4.0 mercruisers. That wa slots of fun. He even helped me get a boating license (we need them here) so I, too, could play I have to say, boats are HEAPS of fun, but they are just out of the financial ball park for me.

A jet ski, however.. Hhmmm... no, I want my MV 1000...

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #5 of 10 Old 09-20-2004, 9:01 PM

Sounds like fun to me, and..........

LMFAO at the Scooby-Doo accessory!
post #6 of 10 Old 09-20-2004, 11:42 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I've got a Bayliner 205 with the optional 220hp 5.0 litre V8.

Mine's an '03 model, but here the '04 model .

It sits nicely in my stable with the Honda S2000 and my 929.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-21-2004, 5:40 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I'm not a boater myself (can't afford one) but I get to go boating a lot with friends

Sometimes they can even convince me to skip a planned weekend ride to go boating

The one they had this summer was a Windy 28 Ghibli.. Very nice boat! It's even built here in Norway

Here is a picture of me at the wheel and one putting on the harbour cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Åsgårdstrand juli 2004 004.jpg‎   Åsgårdstrand juli 2004 010.jpg1.jpg‎  

My gallery

and do check out Freeloader My sister is the voice
post #8 of 10 Old 09-22-2004, 9:16 AM Thread Starter

I am not a boater either. It is just not my cup of tea. I did not mind going out on the boat with my friend though. The way I look at it, why own a boat when your best friend has one. I have no cost of ownership and get to go boating whenever I want.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-22-2004, 9:17 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Boating is a lot like motorcycling....both are good for your mental well being...

Edit:
Also, boating is no more expensive than motorcycling UNTIL you get delusions of grandeur. You CAN enjoy the water on a budget....
Avoid the constant pangs of "2-Foot-Itis" and the desire to go fast, and you can keep the costs reasonable....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop

Last edited by Baketech; 09-22-2004 at 9:19 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-22-2004, 10:01 AM

Boats are like STD's. "It's better to have a friend with one."

Well, maybe not like STD's, but it is better to have a friend w/ one. Boats are great and all. Good fun, and chick magnets. They are just too freakin' expensive, and living in this armpit it can't be justified.

HD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page