Pop quiz, what would you do. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 9:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Pop quiz, what would you do.

At work we have a rep. from one of our vendors that is very well connected. Apparently, he has a friend in the same industry that came across a job(s) in Iraq for my field. This position pays $450k for one year of work, tax free. When these postions come, they are filled within a day. Most of said that it's not worth it. I can understand if you have kids or lots of family etc., for me it would be worth the risk. I could pay off school, buy a house with $, and take off the following year and chill. Would you do it? Obviously after seeing the latest vid posted here, it's dangerous, very. And I still can't get an answer on, if I could carry weapons myself, but I'm sure you could. For me I guess, I wouldn't even hesitate for those type of funds. Am I nuts or would you do the same thing? As long as nothing bad happened, you'd come back with some serious coin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 9:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: Pop quiz, what would you do.

Not me.
post #3 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 9:43 PM

I'd do it, depending on the terms. Even then, I'd get like a mil+ in life insurance. Hey, at least my friends would get something out of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 10:09 PM

Reputation Power: 20

On one side:

Money isn't everything.

On the other:

What is the percentage of contract workers in Iraq that have been captured/killed? Probably not that high.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #5 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 10:11 PM

I'm a whore for cash, so I would do it. I doubt the "tax free" thing, I think they tax it when you come back into the country.
post #6 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 10:27 PM

I would. I just found out someone I used to teach with at a firearms training center is over there making $15k/month. Hmmmmmm...
post #7 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 10:42 PM

I'm a wuss so I wouldnt do it....but I do go to Ghetto-U so its probably about as dangerous...j/k Iraq is much safer
post #8 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 10:49 PM

My good friend (that I have become friends with over the last couple years) that is from Iraq has been contacted by the military (over and over) the last few months to be an interpreter. They have offered him over $100K for the year, and he just may go back.
Somehow in his conversations, he was asked if he knows anyone in certain fields, and gave them my name.
Long story short, the various civilian contractors have serious need for technology peeps over there, and I finally had to threaten them to get them to stop calling. I have been offered more than that for one year, but there is no way I'll go.
Booth, if you're serious, good luck and be extremely careful - and tell them you'll do it for no less than 650K for the year, with at least three weeks paid vacation back home. You'll get it. They are not getting very many quality people jumping at these jobs, and they will pay you more.
post #9 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
My good friend (that I have become friends with over the last couple years) that is from Iraq has been contacted by the military (over and over) the last few months to be an interpreter. They have offered him over $100K for the year, and he just may go back.
Somehow in his conversations, he was asked if he knows anyone in certain fields, and gave them my name.
Long story short, the various civilian contractors have serious need for technology peeps over there, and I finally had to threaten them to get them to stop calling. I have been offered more than that for one year, but there is no way I'll go.
Booth, if you're serious, good luck and be extremely careful - and tell them you'll do it for no less than 650K for the year, with at least three weeks paid vacation back home. You'll get it. They are not getting very many quality people jumping at these jobs, and they will pay you more.
Yeah you are right about that. My chances for the position I spoke of are next to nill as I found out about it way too late. These types of positions aren't posted on Monster, they are through the grapevine. Dude at this juncture in my life, I'd do it without much thought.
I've let him know to call me ASAP when this type of thing comes up.
post #10 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 10:59 PM

If these guys ever call me back, I'll let you know. They really do need quality techs over there, as most high end guys are attached to family or something else here.
One company rep said he was sick of the paper MCSE types that can't do anything right and want to go home after a couple months.
I told him I was sick of them too and to keep taking them.
post #11 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half
Snip.. I doubt the "tax free" thing, I think they tax it when you come back into the country.
Believe it pal. I can't speak for other careers, but I know in the trades, it's very common for someone to work over-seas absolutely 100% tax free. The only thing that's taxable (in most cases) is the interest on the money you bank.

I know it's easy to say, but if I was in my early 20's and single, yeah, I'd go. Without a second thought.
post #12 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 11:06 PM

I'd go.

J
post #13 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 11:07 PM

I think I would ask for a 6 month contract renewable for another 6 months. I would find a life/accident policy for a mill that does not exclude this type of venture. Hire G-Force as my personal survival advisor with a very big arms budget.

Only accept 650k for the year and start pumping iron like mad before you leave. To think paying off the house in 6 months...

On a not so unrelated side note..
My co-worker was telling me about his sons first outing. He is a humvee driver. They are an offensive group. They get tipped off on a insurgent location....show up at a apt in Ramada and start taking fire as soon as they pull up. Hit the ground.... then on the radio they hear the location of the insurgents that are firing....2nd story 3rd window. 5 humvees unload on the window with 50cals. Then the chopper unloads missles into the window...Something like 45 insurgents died. Just a reminder. It is a warzone.
post #14 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 11:42 PM

I'd bargain like BDA said, take some very very intensive firearms/combat training, and arm myself.

I would not hesitate to go at $650k.

post #15 of 54 Old 09-23-2004, 11:56 PM

Reputation Power: 50

The tax free thing is true. I had an opportunity to go work with the CIA a couple years ago, and that was one of the things they had listed for overseas job positions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page