Advice or Opinion.. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 2:33 AM Thread Starter
Fig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Advice or Opinion..

Let me set up the story. Way back in 1984 I got my first vehicle, a 1978 F150 4x4. Over the years, I put many miles on the truck, and it's shape went downhill slowly. Raising a family came before keeping up the look on my truck. To describe it, the truck has some rust on the hood, roof, and some bad spots behind the rear tires, and the back of the cab. I spoke with a body shop today, and they think it could run approx $3000 to get the body back to new, and some fresh paint. The engine is good, but could probably use a little work. The AC worked up until about two years ago when I had a local mechanic change the exhaust manifold gaskets. A couple of broken bolts, and a lot of down time and I got my truck back with the AC disconnected, and the compressor in the bed. I was pissed to say the least. Anyway, the heater core is also leaking, so that's bypassed right now. It could probably use some seals on the front drive train, and things like new shocks, tires, and rims to complete the package. I think by now, I am getting the idea across. Here's my dilemma though. It's a good truck as far as sturdiness goes. God knows I have put it through some ****.

Would you fix the truck, or just sell it, and go buy something a little more closer to this century? While I don't have a pile of money laying around, I think I could qualify for a new(er) truck after I purchase my house, or I could hold out a while and get my 2005 Mustang. It's a dilemma I have been avoiding for years now, and is almost a little upsetting to have to make a decision on, since I am quite attached to my truck. I've got a lot of memories wrapped up in that truck, but I think it might take too much money to fix back up, and frankly question whether I could ever really get it back in top condition. What would you do? If pictures would make a difference in your answer, maybe I can post some tomorrow after work.

It's really hit home since I managed to wreck our minivan this week (pardon the pun). I ended up slamming into the back of someone as traffic came to an abrupt stop and I didn't. Realizing that 1. it's just a vehicle, and 2. a wreck is just a blink away, really makes me wonder if I am putting too much attachment to a hunk of metal. I also wonder if I should keep the old truck, since a new one is virtually impossible for a shadetree mechanic to work on. I just keep bouncing back and forth with reasons...
Fig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 6:48 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Advice or Opinion..

Why not turn it into a restoration project. If you have no immediate need for the vehicle, stick it in your garage for 2 years and slowly work on it, get it the way you want it.

Meanwhile you could pick up an F250 Quad cab super duty with the diesel.
post #3 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 7:21 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Send a message via AIM to colryn

I think the truck has served you well but it is time to find another vehicle. If it has some sentiment to you, do as ND says and make it a project. I have been in your situation many times and end up putting money in an older vehicle. It is just not money smart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 7:27 AM

Reputation Power: 20

If time and money is not an issue and youíve become that attached to the truck, then I say keep it!! That being said, you have to think realistically that if you were to sell the truck at some point you will probably never get back what you put into it.

In my opinion (and this is what I have always tried to do) I would buy a two-year-old vehicle. Take your time, look for a one-owner vehicle with all service records, make sure it hasnít been hit or painted or a salvage title. You will save yourself thousands of dollars. Also the car will still be under warranty at that point. Good luck.
post #5 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 7:47 AM

wait for the new Tang. sell your truck locally, as you WILL get screwed by the stealership. and then post some pics for us to see of you in your new mustang vert

"sorry I'm late, I had to stop by the wax museum and give the finger to FDR again" - Cotton Hill
post #6 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 10:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to MrX954 Send a message via Yahoo to MrX954

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
wait for the new Tang. sell your truck locally, as you WILL get screwed by the stealership. and then post some pics for us to see of you in your new mustang vert
Your not allowed to tell ppl to buy a new sports car until we see pics of the new vette.

IMO- I like to always have a project going so if you have the time and money thats what I'd do, but if your worried about getting the money back that you put into it...I'll save you the suspense, you wont.

X
post #7 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Fig

Reputation Power: 19

Thanks guys. I definitely am not worried about getting my money back on the truck. Over the last 20 years, I have put untold amounts into it. Like the time I broke the transmission loose from the engine, splintered the adapter plate between the tranny and transfer case, ripped the driveshaft in two, and sent the pinion gear flying out of the rear end with the other half of the driveshaft connected. That was all the same incident..

I guess space is really my problem. Having lived in neighborhoods that well, didn't really care that I had a rusty old truck parked in the driveway, this wasn't an issue, but as I am moving to a new neighborhood, I am sure I will be getting letters quickly if I don't get this thing at least looking proper.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I am still a bit torn about this, but am taking in all the suggestions. Attached are some pictures of my truck.
Fig
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3506a.JPG‎   IMG_3507a.JPG‎  
post #8 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 12:12 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Just keep in mind one extremely important fact:

Real trucks don't have sparkplugs.

Carry on . . .

and your girlfriend too.
post #9 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 12:17 PM

I've faced similar decisions, and I can't see putting the money into the truck that it would take to make it proper. For example, the $3k for bodywork would make a nice down payment on a newer/nicer vehicle.
And if you want to keep it, like others have said, consider this: try to determine what you could sell it for, and ask if it's worth it. In other words, if you could only get $1k for the truck, would you rather have the truck or the money? And could you get into a newer ride without that sale money?

GIT-R-DONE
post #10 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 12:26 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig
Thanks guys. I definitely am not worried about getting my money back on the truck. Over the last 20 years, I have put untold amounts into it. Like the time I broke the transmission loose from the engine, splintered the adapter plate between the tranny and transfer case, ripped the driveshaft in two, and sent the pinion gear flying out of the rear end with the other half of the driveshaft connected. That was all the same incident..
Man, that's a good one!

Quote:
I guess space is really my problem. Having lived in neighborhoods that well, didn't really care that I had a rusty old truck parked in the driveway, this wasn't an issue, but as I am moving to a new neighborhood, I am sure I will be getting letters quickly if I don't get this thing at least looking proper.
Just for this reason I'd leave the thing parked in my driveway. Those people could kiss my ass unless they wanted to pay for the paint job.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #11 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 12:29 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Man, that's a good one!

Just for this reason I'd leave the thing parked in my driveway. Those people could kiss my ass unless they wanted to pay for the paint job.
Unfortunately, many areas have strict zoning ordinances that will have the windshield covered in tickets until they come and put a chain on your front door and tow away the vehicle (while you get to wear a cool orange jumpsuit and help clean the nearest median).

and your girlfriend too.
post #12 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 12:31 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Yeah, I don't know if he has one of those communist HOA at his house or not.

But, if it's parked in your driveway, licensed, insured, legal and not torn apart, there's not much anyone can do.

If it gets tickets because it is ugly people with Aztek's and other stuff better watch out!

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy

Last edited by luvtolean; 10-01-2004 at 12:46 PM.
post #13 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 12:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to figment

MO: Its time to shove off and drift away from that rust bucket.

Luck favors those who are prepared.
Are you smokin that stogie or is it smokin you?
post #14 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
If it gets tickets because it is ugly people with Aztek's and other stuff better watch out!

GIT-R-DONE
post #15 of 29 Old 10-01-2004, 12:50 PM

Sorry Fig, after seeing the pics (the truck has cancer and unless you pay top dollar or replace panels it's going to come back) I'd have to suggest a newer vehicle!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page