Those ingenious Frenchies "invent" the compressed air car... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-02-2004, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 42

Those ingenious Frenchies "invent" the compressed air car...

The French "re-invent" some 75 year old technology...

Link To Story

Quote:
Pricey Oil Could Be Boon for European Car

Fri Oct 1, 2:23 AM ET Business - AP

By LAURENCE FROST, AP Business Writer

PARIS - Record-high oil prices might seem like bad news for the auto industry. But one European manufacturer plans to make a type of car unaffected by $50-a-barrel crude ó cars that run on compressed air.

"It's safe, doesn't pollute, doesn't explode, it's not poisonous and it's not expensive," said Sebastien Braud, a representative for Luxembourg-based Moteur Developpement International.

Inside the Air Car, an electric pump compresses air into a tank. The air in turn pumps pistons that take the vehicle up to 70 mph. The car can travel 50 miles at top speed on a full tank, and farther at lower speeds.

The company plans to make two versions ó a three-seat compact priced at $9,850 and a six-seat sedan for $16,000.
(TRIMMED)

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-02-2004, 10:21 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via MSN to GhostRider
Re: Those ingenious Frenchies "invent" the compressed air car...

Sounds good!

Bikes and women - both have nice curves.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-02-2004, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Technically, these are electric vehicles I guess...

I would like to see them make it work for a scooter, and abolish 2-strokes in Paris.....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-02-2004, 11:52 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via MSN to GhostRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech

I would like to see them make it work for a scooter, and abolish 2-strokes in Paris.....
Should be even easier on a scooter since it has less weight to pull.
I hope it succeeds.

Bikes and women - both have nice curves.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-02-2004, 12:14 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech

The only problem with the scooter would be making a big enough tank to hold the air.... just like the cars that run on CNG they need to much area to put the tank to get a long trip out of that you end up losing the storage area...
post #6 of 9 Old 10-02-2004, 12:23 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Diablo

Itís a novel idea... And it works for France as they have an abundance of nuclear generated electricity. Most other countries would have to burn coal or oil to generate the juice so someone can save their environment a lil less efficiently.

In Environmental biology I learned the concept about losing power when it changes form.

Take a gallon of gas and out it in your car how far will it go? Take a gallon of gas burn it at a electric plant to make electricity.... run your electric car on that electricity and go less than half as far. Feed grain to raise a cow or eat grain for many more days than a cow would hold out on your dinner plate?

Anyone know if the hybrid Hondas actually help the environment? I hear they get killer mileage.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-02-2004, 7:24 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

yeah, but can I still do a burnout? roll back's do not count.

Maybe they will come out with a contractor's edition that comes with air tools...hell, if you blow a tire bring your air wrench...um..let's see...OH: Now blonde's will be able to power the car from a head piece adaptor.

k - I'm though.

forgot one thing...if you fill up in the valley, you sould be able to get more miles out of an up hill climb! But what about if you fill it in the valley, to the MAX, and trailer it to the top of a mountain? *BOOM*?

Team Honda - well sorta...

Last edited by showmethebombs; 10-02-2004 at 7:26 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-02-2004, 8:35 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone

In Environmental biology I learned the concept about losing power when it changes form.

Take a gallon of gas and out it in your car how far will it go? Take a gallon of gas burn it at a electric plant to make electricity.... run your electric car on that electricity and go less than half as far. Feed grain to raise a cow or eat grain for many more days than a cow would hold out on your dinner plate?
Yep. Electric motors actually have very high efficiencies, but that is hammered by transmission losses etc. And let's not forget the pollution of lead and the mining (and of course energy) it takes to make all those batteries and replace them...

Pneumatic motors are somewhat less efficient. I don't know why this is "better" than an electric car, but I'd guess because it's cheaper.

Quote:
Anyone know if the hybrid Hondas actually help the environment? I hear they get killer mileage.
Honda's hybrid technology is mediocre at best. Toyota's on the other hand is outstanding.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #9 of 9 Old 10-02-2004, 9:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Pneumatic motors are somewhat less efficient. I don't know why this is "better" than an electric car, but I'd guess because it's cheaper.
I would say lower cost and complexity would be a definite plus.

Three other advantages that I have seen in person...there may be others....

1. Lower vehicle weight due to current battery technology...ie lead/acid.

2. Very quick "charge" time....takes a few minutes (or seconds) to air up the tank, vs several hours to recharge the batteries.

3. The regenerative braking circuit is more efficient because of the charge rate of current battery tech.....(not including caps)

Consider this though, the vehicle still has to have an electrical system of some sort, so there are some losses there as well. At any rate, it's an interesting concept that looks like it is finally making a practical debut.

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page