Dodge 4x4 AT full service. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-03-2004, 5:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Dodge 4x4 AT full service.

Man what a mess
I dropped the Trans oil pan and replaced the ATF, Gasket and filter. The service kit came with a cork gasket which was folded. When I slid it on, it got pinched. So the last two quarts ran out of the pan . Fortunately I had put a drain plug in when I dropped the pan. Had to go get another gasket. This one was rubber and made in Vietnam The holes where slightly smaller than the bolts which made keeping the gasket in place much easier. I dont think I will go cork again...

Then I started up the truck, put it in neutral and ran the rest of the old ATF out the radiator lines while adding new ATF+3 to the filler hole. saved about $50 on a flush by the shop. Chrysler has recently changed its recomendation for ATF. This will be the second change in recomended ATF. I put ATF+3 in and they are now recomending ATF+4. Nobody had ATF+4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-03-2004, 9:02 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: Dodge 4x4 AT full service.

Its better to do it yourself even though its a huge mess. Do it on the street instead of your driveway . But the "flush" that the service stations do is not as good as doing it yourself since they don't change the filter or clean the bottom of the pan which usually has a little magnet that collects tiny metalshavings from the tranny.

"and when I gun the engine I want it to sound like the world is coming to an end" -Homer Simpson
post #3 of 12 Old 10-04-2004, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfmotorcycle1
Its better to do it yourself even though its a huge mess. Do it on the street instead of your driveway . But the "flush" that the service stations do is not as good as doing it yourself since they don't change the filter or clean the bottom of the pan which usually has a little magnet that collects tiny metalshavings from the tranny.
That's not necessarily true. When we did a flush it was a very serious deal, and there is no way you can do it right like figment did it. Better than nothing, but it's not "flushed".

Figment, did you drain the converter?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-04-2004, 9:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
yes. How I did my ATF flush

The magnet really was the big surprize It was sitting on a little divet in the pan. I saw this little dougnut shaped object and thought . When I was looking for a place to drill for my drain, I moved it and then realized it was a magnet for catching metal Then I cleaned it off and put it back next to my new drain plug.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-04-2004, 6:13 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
That's not necessarily true. When we did a flush it was a very serious deal, and there is no way you can do it right like figment did it. Better than nothing, but it's not "flushed".

Whats not true ?? Service stations such as Jiffy Lube, Mobil etc. offer flushes but they do not drop the pan. Therefore they never clean the shaving off the magnet and do not change the filter. Whether they take it seriously or not in my opinion its a half ass job. When you want a job done right sometimes have to do it yourself.

"and when I gun the engine I want it to sound like the world is coming to an end" -Homer Simpson
post #6 of 12 Old 10-04-2004, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfmotorcycle1
Whats not true ?? Service stations such as Jiffy Lube, Mobil etc. offer flushes but they do not drop the pan. Therefore they never clean the shaving off the magnet and do not change the filter. Whether they take it seriously or not in my opinion its a half ass job. When you want a job done right sometimes have to do it yourself.
I guess it's a terminology thing, but I don't consider Jiffy Lube a "service station" Other than maybe servicing your wallet. I have no idea how they'd do an slushbox service as I wouldn't go there either.

The shop I worked at did this better than I could do myself at home. It goes without saying you drop the pan and drain the converter. We then hooked up a machine that flushed/filtered the fluid in the cooling lines and cooler. I seriously doubt the driveway guy is going to rig up a pump and filters for the flush. But maybe I'm wrong...

post #7 of 12 Old 10-04-2004, 7:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I seriously doubt the driveway guy is going to rig up a pump and filters for the flush. But maybe I'm wrong...
If you understand the schematic of a transmission, you know the pump is in the oil sump and the TC is ahead of that. So the way I did the flush replaces the entire fluid system without starving the oil pump or mixing any fluid. I dont need a filter in the "flush system" because I put a new one in the tranny and was not putting old oil back in the system. I can see why a big shop would use one though because they probably have to switch vats and supplies are in much different environments. I'm pretty sure what I did was superior to most shops

Last edited by figment; 10-04-2004 at 7:40 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-04-2004, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
If you understand the schematic of a transmission, you know the pump is in the oil sump and the TC is ahead of that. So the way I did the flush replaces the entire fluid system without starving the oil pump or mixing any fluid. I dont need a filter in the flush system because I put a new one in th tranny and was not putting old oil back in the system. I can see why a big shop would use one though because they probably have to switch vats and supplies are in much different environments. I'm pretty sure what I did was superior to most shops
I can't see it as you have to be a member.

Edit: But what you did would be superior to at least some I'm sure. Especially if the Jimmy Lubers don't even drop the pan.

Last edited by luvtolean; 10-04-2004 at 7:41 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-04-2004, 7:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I can't see it as you have to be a member.

Edit: But what you did would be superior to at least some I'm sure. Especially if the Jimmy Lubers don't even drop the pan.
@ the crummy dodge forum

Quote:
You need: 2 people (a buddy needed for about 10 minutes just to start and stop engine), level parking surface, bucket, >12qt ATF+3, hose.
ATF service kit ~$7 from parts supply. Get the rubber gasket. Its easier to install.

1 Set parking brake. Drop trans pan and replace filter.
1a. If not done, install drain plug. (I used the magnet divet as my drill location.)

2 Clean magnet and pan and put new gasket on pan. Replace pan.

3 Replace the same amount of fluid that was drained out with NEW fluid. Should be about ~5 quarts

4 Remove a line from the tranny to the radiator and use two hoses to divert the now open line ends to a >10qt collection bucket. Dont let lines get submerged.

5 Have about 6 quarts of fluid open and gathered withing reach of your funnel. Empty bucket of old fluid in preparation to collect the remaining fluid in the transmission.

6 with the bucket back in place, get ready to start adding fluid. Make your position so that you can see the old fluid comming into the bucket. Have your buddy start the engine, shift into neutral (wont pump in park) and begin replacing fluid. Do not let the fluid filling the funnel, or the fluid comming out of the radiator line stop, (If you do, yell to have the engine stopped). When all the old fluid has run through the system (about 5qts), the color and consistency will change. The fluid comming out will be a little more foamy and brighter in color. Stop engine as soon as you see this. The system has been purged of old fluid.

7 Replace lines to radiator.

8 Check the fluid level and add until correct. Start engine and shift between forward and reverse, check in neutral as per owners manual to see if more is needed.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-04-2004, 7:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Especially if the Jimmy Lubers don't even drop the pan.
my first service was done by Jiffy Lube. @ 30K. They dropped the pan cause I saw them replace the gasket
post #11 of 12 Old 10-04-2004, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
my first service was done by Jiffy Lube. @ 30K. They dropped the pan cause I saw them replace the gasket
Yeah, I'd be real surprised if they didn't, but I wouldn't put it past those guys. We used to get LOTS of T5's in with shiftforks laying in the bottom of the case after they removed the Torx bolt that held them thinking that was where the fluid fill was.

Your way sounds pretty dang good. Like you said though, very messy, especially on your back. I take it you had one of the huge funnels for your drain pan?

post #12 of 12 Old 10-04-2004, 9:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Your way sounds pretty dang good. Like you said though, very messy, especially on your back. I take it you had one of the huge funnels for your drain pan?
I used a cement mixing bin from Home Depot to catch the fluid. Was the PERFECT size and depth. ~$5. It was only messy cause I did not use (or know about) gasket cement on the cork gasket and a corner got pinched on the first try at refilling the sump. Now I have a drain plug and its got a valve in it so next time I do the service I wont spill a drop
I change the fluid and coolant every year, motor severe service...

Last edited by figment; 10-04-2004 at 9:05 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page