One bad night.... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 4:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

One bad night....

It started out like this... got a call yesterday at work from our neighbor who was watching my 3yr old boy while my wife photographed a wedding. She said my boy took a tumble while leaping for the rings on the monkey bars and he wasn't letting anyone touch him. She said that his arm popped when she helped him stand up like a dislocated elbow. I left work and took him to the ER where the X-ray revealed a stage 3 elbow fracture. The doc called it a supracondylar fracture or something like that. They called in the orthopedic surgeon who said they needed to work on him within the next 8hrs due to swelling and possibility that the bone may compromise the skin and come through or that the nerves and vessels that run atop the bones could be damaged.

This is when the fun started....they tried for 45minutes to get an IV started in his right arm/hand/wrist. Not sure how many of you have kids but this is not a heart warming experience. Your child screaming at the top of his lungs with pure terror written all over his face as the stick him time after time. They tried to start IV's in 6 seperate locations. They finally got another RN to come over and she was finally able to get a good one. I was furious but at the same time very understanding if that makes any sense. Here's a 3yr old calling the RN's "stupid baby heads", screaming don't stick me with that again, don't touch me, kicking, flailing and crying. Dad's present trying to keep the child calm and you can't get it started. It has to be tough but I don't have to like the site either. I finally gave my wife a call because I didn't want to interrupt the shoot unless is was completely necessary in between attempts and she got there about 1hr before surgery started.

To make a long story a little shorter they ended up completing a 2hr surgery and had to do an "open" reduction of the bones and install Kirschner pins to stabilize the fracture. I got home about 4am and tried to sleep until 8am while my wife stayed behind to sleep in the chair/beds they offer for parents. Needless to say, we are all tired and hoping the bones heal properly since the break was in the growth plate region. Please keep my boy Chase in your prayers.

Thanks,
Mavic

Can you say 6 in a ROW!!!!

Last edited by Mavic; 10-10-2004 at 4:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 4:24 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: One bad night....

Wow Mavic! Very sorry to hear of the accident. My best wishes go out to your family. Sounds like it was a nastier than usual break. Hope your boy has no long-lasting problems from this.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 4:25 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage

Sorry to hear about your son, I hope that everything goes well with the healing process.

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 4:33 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via MSN to GhostRider

Sorry to hear that Mavic. Not a fun thing to go through. I hope everything turns out ok.

Bikes and women - both have nice curves.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 5:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavic
It started out like this... got a call yesterday at work from our neighbor who was watching my 3yr old boy while my wife photographed a wedding. She said my boy took a tumble while leaping for the rings on the monkey bars and he wasn't letting anyone touch him. She said that his arm popped when she helped him stand up like a dislocated elbow. I left work and took him to the ER where the X-ray revealed a stage 3 elbow fracture. The doc called it a supracondylar fracture or something like that. They called in the orthopedic surgeon who said they needed to work on him within the next 8hrs due to swelling and possibility that the bone may compromise the skin and come through or that the nerves and vessels that run atop the bones could be damaged.

This is when the fun started....they tried for 45minutes to get an IV started in his right arm/hand/wrist. Not sure how many of you have kids but this is not a heart warming experience. Your child screaming at the top of his lungs with pure terror written all over his face as the stick him time after time. They tried to start IV's in 6 seperate locations. They finally got another RN to come over and she was finally able to get a good one. I was furious but at the same time very understanding if that makes any sense. Here's a 3yr old calling the RN's "stupid baby heads", screaming don't stick me with that again, don't touch me, kicking, flailing and crying. Dad's present trying to keep the child calm and you can't get it started. It has to be tough but I don't have to like the site either. I finally gave my wife a call because I didn't want to interrupt the shoot unless is was completely necessary in between attempts and she got there about 1hr before surgery started.

To make a long story a little shorter they ended up completing a 2hr surgery and had to do an "open" reduction of the bones and install Kirschner pins to stabilize the fracture. I got home about 4am and tried to sleep until 8am while my wife stayed behind to sleep in the chair/beds they offer for parents. Needless to say, we are all tired and hoping the bones heal properly since the break was in the growth plate region. Please keep my boy Chase in your prayers.

Thanks,
Mavic
In a way I know exactly how you feel regarding the IV issue. I had a scary incident with my wife last Saturday, and the nurses tried six times on her right arm and four on her left before someone was able to get it properly started. At one point I actually said something about it (imagine that, me being vocal) and suddenly a doctor appeared and put it in her hand with no problems whatsoever.
Anyway, while she isn't a kid, I was having to hold her down and she was feeling the pain.
I am pulling for you and your family. Seeing one of your loved ones go through this is very trying, but I know your son will be fine in the long run. Good doctors can do some amazing things.

Last edited by BDA116; 10-10-2004 at 5:32 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 6:28 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Note to self: No kids.

Insignificant Member
post #7 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 6:31 PM

Mavic, good luck, and you have my prayers.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 6:32 PM

God speed for a quick recovery for your son. I cannot imagine going throught that with any of my children. I would feel so helpless. Thoughts and prayers for him.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 7:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Best wishes for a clean (and hopefully quick) recovery.

I feel his pain with regards to the IV...

Z..

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #10 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 9:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the good vibes. Just let me reiterrate that I am very impressed with the RN's that performed a very very difficult task on my "little man".

Thanks Again,
Mavic

post #11 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 9:25 PM

Reputation Power: 50

I wish all of you the best. How's he been since the surgery?
post #12 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 9:41 PM

I know where your coming from Mavic. My little boy was in the hospital when he was 8 months old with RSV. He wasn't eating or drinking and getting dehydrated so they wanted to start an IV. 3 hours later, 1 RN & 2 anesthesiologists later they finally had it in. I can't even remember how many times they stuck him. They had one started on his head but it reputured. Of course at that age, he couldn't comprehend what was going on but he was screaming like heck. My wife was in tears and it's definitely the worst I've ever felt.
post #13 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 9:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
I wish all of you the best. How's he been since the surgery?
He has been surprisingly active. We MUST keep him down so we hope the pain meds will work to suppress the will to run and romp. He has had guests all day long and seems proud to display his "boo boo". They are definitely resiliant!!

Thanks!!

post #14 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
and suddenly a doctor appeared and put it in her hand with no problems whatsoever.
Good doctors can do some amazing things.
The nurses are much better at putting in regular IV's than I am since they do thousands more than I do. Now if you need a central line... I am your man!

And thanks

Good luck to you and your son! I broke lots of bones when I was a kid and I turned out alright! Well.. sorta...
post #15 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 9:49 PM Thread Starter

That is definitely harder than what we went through. When they are that young the screams seem harder on my psychological state. I know about RSV as well but they didn't have to start an IV....Thank God!! However, we all understand that it is definitely a requirement sometimes. I am just glad that someone chose to help keep us "running" like Maxib TraumaOne, ER and others.

Last edited by Mavic; 10-10-2004 at 9:50 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page