my first hunting experience part deux - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-28-2004, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

my first hunting experience part deux

here is the last part of my story

So after such a great day on Saturday and the tasty Big MAC I head home. I noticed my neighbor is home so I give him a ring and see if he is up for hunting on Sunday. Of course he is, this is the south after all. So i wash all my clothes again in the scent free detergent and dryer sheets for the dryer.
Sunday, 5am, I rise and meet my neighbor for our great day of hunting. We arrive at 7am and start walking to our positions. Now the land we are hunting is a peice that he has been hunting for years, so he knows all the spots and areas that are hot.
I hunker down in this area that smells like MUSK, I mean A LOT OF MUSK. After adapting to the smell and watching the area expose itself with the rising of the sun I am happy. I sit on the ground with my legs crossed indian style and my rifle resting in my lap. All of a sudden I hear thumpthump, thumpthump, thumpthump - the sounds of a large man running up the trail. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up on end, so I turn REAL slow and see this freakin deer standing 15 feet to my rear. I paused all movements and studied it out of the corner of my eye. This freakin thing was HUGE. I sat there trying to figure how to get a shot off and that ****er took off running, the other way. it made no sounds and just disapeared. So I am a little excited that i finally saw a deer while i was in hunt mode.
I look at my watch and it is 9am on the dot. I sit there thinking of ways i could better prepare myself for situations like that, then all of a sudden. KAPOOOOCH. I nearly shat myself. My neighbor shot, it surprised me because he is about 100 yds away and i could not see him. He was in a tree stand so I listened for the clanking of the stand down the tree - nothing. I think to myself - HAHA he missed. Then thinking of all the stories that he has told me of hunting birs, deer, gator - HE DONT MISS.
All the while I am sitting as quite as could be just staring at an area in front of me, then i see movement I am stocked at that point, when i see the deer imerge from the woodline/brushline. As I can now identify that the deer is a she I am a little disapointed, but hell I have got to get my hands dirty so why not on a chick deer. Suddenly she stops and looks DIRECTLY at me, I could see her little eyes staring directly at me. I am frozen like snot in Alaska. I sit there, trying not to breathe, my heart starts pounding like it has never in its life. I can feel the beats in my eyes, then I could SEE the beating of my heart in my eyes (I swear).
Now on a side note, Thursday when i was getting pointers from my neighbor for hunting he told me that deer will play a trick on you if they think they see something. They will lower thiers heads and suddenly raise them up to look at you - trying to catch you moving.
I waited to see what she would do, she lowered her head - I remeber what i was told and just hold fast. Sure as ****, she raised her head - not once did she do it, but 3 times. Finally, she felt safe and turned around, so i moved my rifle to my shoulder, eyes pulsating, breathing controlled, she raised up again. I frooze. I had her in my range, she gave me the perfect broad side shot for a clean kill. I look through my scope and NOTHING. I could not find her head so I could scope in the spot. I look with my left eye and I see her just as plain as day. I scope her again NOTHING DAMNIT, I look again she is there. I scope her again and am going to take a shot regardless. I place my finger on the trigger nice and easy I start to squeeeeze and then I hear "tinkle, tinkle tinkle" the sounds of antlers tinkling together. All I saw was white tail and a quick movement - she left then i heard a snort snort sound.

After waiting 20 minutes, I heard my name being called so I walked to where I heard it and my buddy is 40 freakin feet up in the tree. He asked me if i heard the snorts and I said yes and told him the story of what happened. It was him tinklin the antlers. Somehow that was just enough to spook her. And for the snorts - that was her way of telling all deer in the area to get the hell out ASAP. He told me that he saw 4 buck just run away when they heard it.

So after some "bench racing" i asked him about the shot i heard. He told me that it ran through the woods and I could go look while he climed down. Not 20 feet in the woodline there he lay, a 6 inch spike. The antlers looked like ther were just glued on - they were the straightest things i have ever seen. He lie trickling the reddest blood I have ever seen out of a hole the size of a pen tip. I poke him with my rifle and he is dead, I flip him over and see the darkest, purplest blood ever. I say - you got an organ and it is not the heart. You medical people will know how I could make that statement.
So he drags him to the opening and we look him over. We then head back to the truck for a rope and to take off some of our gear. After coming back we strung him up and gutted him. My first time seeing this. I was just fine, didn't even feel a little sick. As he is pulling out all the organs I see the liver - shredded, hence all the dark bood. Nice kill

Now it is my turn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-28-2004, 12:12 PM

Re: my first hunting experience part deux

doe fever?

Sounds like you had a good time.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-28-2004, 12:24 PM

Good story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-28-2004, 1:08 PM

Enjoyed this, thanks, Bubba.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-28-2004, 2:11 PM

Very good story, Bubba. Hint about not hearing your buddy clamoring out of his stand: you never run down out of your stand or blind immediately after taking a shot. You have to give the deer time to expire without pressure from human pursuit.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-28-2004, 3:17 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Very good story, Bubba. Hint about not hearing your buddy clamoring out of his stand: you never run down out of your stand or blind immediately after taking a shot. You have to give the deer time to expire without pressure from human pursuit.
Most people say to wait at least 30 minutes even if the deer drops right in front of you. The guy I hunt with reccomcends waiting a couple of hours. The only time that time is against you is if it is raining hard and the rain can wash away your trail. If you get up and start chasing them, you can literally chase them for miles and never find them.
Chris
post #7 of 12 Old 10-28-2004, 4:54 PM Thread Starter

point taken, i heard that too. but since i am such a newbie to this I was taking in all i could about the deer hunting. i read in a magazine that pursue as soon as you can since the extra pumping of the heart will help him bleed out faster, leaving a nicer trail and shorter pursuit

BTW - I would much rather be on a bike on a track than sitting around waiting for a deer. Although the feeling I got when she stared at me that close was UNBELIEVABLE and I would never trade in that. Can't wait to off one
post #8 of 12 Old 10-29-2004, 1:40 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

bunch of savages around here.

Deer Hunter and Rocky Mountain Trophy Hunter were some good ass games back a few years ago.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 10-29-2004 at 1:40 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-29-2004, 2:15 AM

Although a good multi-part writeup bubba, I just don't share your enthusiam for hunting. Don't get me wrong, my Dad was an avid outdoorsman and raised me the same (thank you Dad!). I used to fish, hunt small game (quail, cottontail rabbits, ring-neck pheasants, and yes even [B]squirells [B]). But later in in my teens, I just lost the desire to hunt and kill. I have no problems with hunting per se, except for trophy hunting. This one makes me To kill an animal simply for the soul purpose of having a head to mount on the wall, or a rug make from a skin, gives me the shits.

That said, what you were doing is perfectly acceptable in my book, as you would have used most of the entire animal for consumption in one way or another.

Better luck next year! And hopefully you've learned to keep the rifle at the ready at all times, as opposed to sitting in the yoga position with the rifle laying across your knees...
post #10 of 12 Old 10-29-2004, 2:37 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via AIM to Aychdot Send a message via Yahoo to Aychdot

You have to take both lens caps off of the scope!
Sounds like fun though.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-29-2004, 6:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
Although a good multi-part writeup bubba, I just don't share your enthusiam for hunting. Don't get me wrong, my Dad was an avid outdoorsman and raised me the same (thank you Dad!). I used to fish, hunt small game (quail, cottontail rabbits, ring-neck pheasants, and yes even [B]squirells [B]). But later in in my teens, I just lost the desire to hunt and kill. I have no problems with hunting per se, except for trophy hunting. This one makes me To kill an animal simply for the soul purpose of having a head to mount on the wall, or a rug make from a skin, gives me the shits.

That said, what you were doing is perfectly acceptable in my book, as you would have used most of the entire animal for consumption in one way or another.

Better luck next year! And hopefully you've learned to keep the rifle at the ready at all times, as opposed to sitting in the yoga position with the rifle laying across your knees...

next year hell, the season just opened.

BTW i plan on consuming all of the deer that i can - including peckers and lips (oh wait, that is on a chicken)
post #12 of 12 Old 10-29-2004, 6:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aychdot
You have to take both lens caps off of the scope!
Sounds like fun though.

i wish it was that simple. the deer just camo'd in with the vegitation around her. the head was behind a small tree (after tons of replays, i figured that out)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page