my eBay SNAFU - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 4:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

my eBay SNAFU

Wednesday morning, I woke up, walked to the PC, and checked my email. There was a notice from eBay that my item was listed successfully. Thing is, I hadn't listed or sold anything on eBay in months. Curious, I pulled up my account, and lo and behold, someone had listed some Star Wars character crap (an identical auction is now up: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT ). Needless to say, I was disturbed, so I checked the auction, informed eBay, and modified the listing with a warning for people not to bid on it, and some astronomical shipping and BIN prices. I also changed my password, although I thought it unlikely to have been compromised.

About 36 hours later eBay sent me a nice letter saying that they took "precautionary measures" and disabled my account. Sure enough, my account was listed as a "Not a registered member". I was pissed. A couple of hours later, after chatting with eBay's live online help, my account was reinstated, and all seems good now.

Still, I can't help but wonder if eBay has some sort of vulnerability that can be exploited. I've seen many accounts misused, and knowing that I never fell to one of those phishing scams (where a fake eBay email asks you to give your account info), and knowing that while not impossible to break, my password is pretty secure, I don't see how my account was misused. I didn't get locked out of my account by the "hackers", I didn't lose my email access, so... I'm thinking that eBay has a real problem.

Anyways, just a cautionary tale that even the best looking accounts can be compromised, by some mysterioous means.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 5:19 PM

Re: my eBay SNAFU

There has been talk of a new...uh virus I guess....going around that can collect what keys you type. This allows the thieves to figure out passwords and stuff.

I do know that as of a couple of days ago, all motorcycle listings have a 6 hour delay on them. Scam and fraudulent auctions have almost disappeared on eBay Motors. They're actually going through and looking at each auction before they get listed.
This isn't to say they're getting 100% of them but they have dropped drastically.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 5:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfirefighter13
There has been talk of a new...uh virus I guess....going around that can collect what keys you type. This allows the thieves to figure out passwords and stuff.

I do know that as of a couple of days ago, all motorcycle listings have a 6 hour delay on them. Scam and fraudulent auctions have almost disappeared on eBay Motors. They're actually going through and looking at each auction before they get listed.
This isn't to say they're getting 100% of them but they have dropped drastically.
My system automatically logs me in, so maybe something harvested my password, rather than capturing keystrokes. Still, had someone gotten my password, wouldn't it have been logical to quickly change it to something that would lock me out? What about listing lots of high-dollar items, like laptops, cameraa, bikes even? Who knows, but I still think that my account, and my system are (relatively) secure, and that this was an eBay exploit

Maybe eBay has the auctions running through a scanner, flagging suspicious auctions for human review. About time, too, it got old seeing $3500 Hayabusas, $3000 1000RR's, etc, with "shipping included anywhere within the known multiverse"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 6:02 PM

Yesterday I noticed a $500 charge post to my account (using my debit card) that was not authorized by my wife or I. It was a purchase at an online computer site. Cancelled my card and found the # for the site. Ended up getting the charge refunded, but am still wondering how they got my debit card info as I'm pretty dang careful about things like this.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 8:33 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OHOH2
A couple of hours later, after chatting with eBay's live online help, my account was reinstated, and all seems good now.
Ebay has live online support?
post #6 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skully
Ebay has live online support?
Yep.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-30-2004, 3:26 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRWANTR
Yesterday I noticed a $500 charge post to my account (using my debit card) that was not authorized by my wife or I. It was a purchase at an online computer site. Cancelled my card and found the # for the site. Ended up getting the charge refunded, but am still wondering how they got my debit card info as I'm pretty dang careful about things like this.
I just had this too, right after I came home from Canada a few things "extra" showed up on my debit card statement (viewing online). I called the bank to report, and they told me to wait until everything posted. I did this, then they said they would investigate charges from this date to this date and call me back. I checked later and the crap was MIA???, I called my bank and they said that the stuff I called about earlier (the specific discrepancies I spake of) were not there and they can't access information from the debitor unless the charge has posted to the account

I'd think this odd on its own, but another weird part of the puzzle is that I had made a hotel reservation requiring a few hundred dollars on my card just before the trip - the amount of which (when totalled) would equal about 50$ more then the amount which mysteriously appeared, and vanished..from my acct statement. With the hotel deal, I got there and they tell me I cancelled the reservation online the evening before I left (for the trip) -wtf?? I'm pissed, but more pissed when I get home and discover they still charged me for the second night of my stay because I never cancelled THAT reservation - apparently when I cancelled my res - I only cancelled one night of it...hmm...

Got a new debit card anyways, and the old one has a tracer on it or some B.S.

Last edited by SomeStrangeGuy; 10-30-2004 at 3:28 AM. Reason: im nawt a gud sleepdrunk spellar
post #8 of 11 Old 10-30-2004, 3:36 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OHOH2
Who knows, but I still think that my account, and my system are (relatively) secure, and that this was an eBay exploit
FWIW: I'm out riding my bike one day, go to Mobil for gas and get the "see attendant". I'm pissed as this was the only card at the ready, so I see the attendant. She says call the bank, I say "whats the error code or whatever? I have $$ on this card!!" She just says the message is to call the bank.

I get home (refusing to call ) and login to my online account...received a weird popup asking me to contact customer service due to my account status. I call C.S. and they ask me 20,000,000 questions about the condition of my card, every number on it, basically a whomai review. Apparently my card # had been obtained from some online database thing they had stored somewhere and was attempted to have been used online a ton of times without my knowledge.

Cool that they knew it wasn't me doing it at least - but I think crap like tha happens on the backend more then we'd know....
post #9 of 11 Old 10-30-2004, 4:14 AM

The only fraud I have encountered so far was back in 99 when I called pacbell cellular and charged my cell bill to my debit card. 2 days later I go to the atm and no cash. I call the bank and they tell me that I paid $250 to pacific gas and electric. I laughed and told them they are a utility only in northern cal...and I work and live in socal and pay to socal gas.

Wanna get your card shut down. Go to the gas station and fill up on your card. Go home and get another vehicle and fill up at the same gas station. You will get a call from your banks electronic funds investigation group.

Bank of America shut my card off on a weekend scooter rally in San Diego. I was on a tweaked scooter that held 1.9 gallons and made 72miles to a tank. I hit too many gas stations in one day and they shut me down. I chewed them out on Monday for trying to protect my last $20
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2004, 4:49 AM

I had a credit card declined once, I was WTF! I paid cash, and went home to chew them out. "It appears your account is deactivated due to being deceased." WTF! Do I sound dead, how many dead people do you know trying to buy socks and paper towels at Target on a Sunday?!?! Anyways, we go round and round a while, they wont open the account so I say fine, I'm dead to you, I guess I never have to pay off the $1700 I have on that card and hang up. It took them 2 1/2 months to realise the error, issue me a new card, and open the account back up. Then just yesterday, I tried to use my creditcard to buy gas at a shell station...I have used this Mastercard for all fuel for 5 years...Please see attenednt comes up. F that, thats why I go to Pay at pump stations. So I use my debit card, and the SOB shuts off at $45. It doesent take a genious to figure out with my truck with a 28 gallon tank on E at $2.40 a gallon, one fill is not going to do it. To hell with getting my card back out (with my hand still with 10 stiches in it no less, it takes a Houdini act to get it out of my pocket with my other hand, it looks like I'm trying out for the god damn Circus Sole' or something. I guess the whole point of my rant, is are credit cards/debit cards worth it anymore...your exposed to a crap load of fraud, its not any more convient anymore. F that, I pay with dead presidents.

Mike
post #11 of 11 Old 10-30-2004, 5:07 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
F that, I pay with dead presidents.
thanks for adding our site to the latest al-quaeda watch list

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page