Cable or DSL, with a twist. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 4:28 PM Thread Starter
Fig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Cable or DSL, with a twist.

So anyone on here have experience running websites on their own equipment besides me? I have had a DSL line for about the last 5 years here running my websites, and such. I am moving in a month and am contemplating switching to Cable. Now I am talking about business class, which makes a difference. I will have static ip's, and unblocked ports.

I know before, when running websites, DSL was more preferable with the argument that you aren't sharing bandwidth with others, and were guaranteed a down and up speed. Anyone running off a business class cable modem? If so, how's the speed/stability?
Fig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 4:50 PM

Re: Cable or DSL, with a twist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig
So anyone on here have experience running websites on their own equipment besides me? I have had a DSL line for about the last 5 years here running my websites, and such. I am moving in a month and am contemplating switching to Cable. Now I am talking about business class, which makes a difference. I will have static ip's, and unblocked ports.

I know before, when running websites, DSL was more preferable with the argument that you aren't sharing bandwidth with others, and were guaranteed a down and up speed. Anyone running off a business class cable modem? If so, how's the speed/stability?
Fig
When it's up, it's great. For a business, it's only a 4th tier service (mean time to repair > 72 hours) and not a choice for mission critical applications without a 1st tier backup online. My business cable service never bested 340 days per year of up time even though it cost as much as a T1.

If it's a serious endeavor, go first tier, everything else is a wish in one hand and $hit in the other . . .
post #3 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 5:02 PM

Why not just get hosting? Up until about a month ago, I also ran my own site on my own PC (actually, I still do, but it's secondary), but after finding a 2.5GB/75GB plan for $50 for the whole year... I figured I couldn't go wrong. Uptime is guaranteed, bandwidth is much better than my cable, and it costs less for the year than upgrading to business class for a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OHOH2
Why not just get hosting? Up until about a month ago, I also ran my own site on my own PC (actually, I still do, but it's secondary), but after finding a 2.5GB/75GB plan for $50 for the whole year... I figured I couldn't go wrong. Uptime is guaranteed, bandwidth is much better than my cable, and it costs less for the year than upgrading to business class for a month.
That's great, but I am a co-host for over 35K mail accounts so hosting (and the inherent loss of control and software choice) isn't an option.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
That's great, but I am a co-host for over 35K mail accounts so hosting (and the inherent loss of control and software choice) isn't an option.
Umm, Abtech, I was replying to Fig's post
post #6 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OHOH2
Umm, Abtech, I was replying to Fig's post
nevermind . . .
post #7 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 5:53 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

I have cable that is not 'bussiness' grade but does have some of the fetures you ask about. I have found cable to be spotty on constent speed, decent but not great on uptime, and totally unresponsive in service.

If you want to ding my site for sample it is on a dual 800 Mac G4 running Apache with no special tweaks.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #8 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 6:17 PM Thread Starter
Fig

Thanks guys. 2OHOH2, Abtech pretty much answered it for me. I have full control of all my hardware and software. If I want to receive 6gb emails, no problem. I run out of space for my images, it's a short walk to Fry's. I also have my email and web servers on different machines, things like that. Of course along with it go the headaches, but for me, it's just part of running a bidness. I have business class DSL right now, and will be keeping that. I have great uptime, and little problems. My next step is full T1, and right now, it's just a little pricey. I have spent a long time streamlining my websites to use as little extraneous bandwidth as possible and have never heard a single complaint about speed, so it's also not a priority to jump up to the next level at the moment. From what I hear so far though, looks like DSL is going to remain my connection of choice.
Thanks,
Fig
post #9 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 6:26 PM

How about a hybrid system, Fig? Your normal, day-to-day stuff on a reliable, fast host, and your latest, most often changing/updated stuff on your home machine? Works for me...
post #10 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 6:47 PM Thread Starter
Fig

I actually think I might try something like that. I just called SBC, and they can't even pinpoint my speed that I will be getting. I got royally burned by them 2 moves ago when they promised me dsl, and then upon actually moving into my house proclaimed that while my house was the correct distance, the wires were too long, due to some weird routing. I damn near had a coronary that time, and it isn't going to happen again. I am calling the cable company to see what kind of guarantees I can get as to things like ul/dl speed, security, open ports, uptime, etc..
Fig
post #11 of 11 Old 10-29-2004, 6:53 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig
I actually think I might try something like that. I just called SBC, and they can't even pinpoint my speed that I will be getting. I got royally burned by them 2 moves ago when they promised me dsl, and then upon actually moving into my house proclaimed that while my house was the correct distance, the wires were too long, due to some weird routing. I damn near had a coronary that time, and it isn't going to happen again. I am calling the cable company to see what kind of guarantees I can get as to things like ul/dl speed, security, open ports, uptime, etc..
Fig
I am close to what you said (although for home not business) they claimed DSL and before I could order moved some stuff due to new construction and I am still unable to get DSL to this day.

Must obey the sheep dog

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page