Lifted Trucks? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 11-05-2004, 4:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Lifted Trucks?

Anyone here lifted their truck?

I have an 2002 f150 2wd supercab longbed. I got tired of the nasty jackhammer suspension. I finally figured it out to be the front shocks were blown.

While sorting all that out I threw $80 bucks at leveling springs. Now I am throwing money at a fabtech 3.5 inch A arm lift, 3 inch body lift and hopefully some used rims with 33s.

Wife is thinkin I am turning hick. The Ruenell bumper idea didnt go over with her too well.

Anyone here lifted a truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-05-2004, 9:32 AM

Re: Lifted Trucks?

With 6.5 inches of lift, you should go with 35s. The 33s will look too little, and bigger is better.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-05-2004, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
With 6.5 inches of lift, you should go with 35s. The 33s will look too little, and bigger is better.
:iamwithstupid:

If you only put on the fabtech kit, the 33's are good. With 6.5", 33's will look stupid.

I wanna lift my Duramax, but it's already hard enough to load my dirtbike. Yes, I am a hick...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-05-2004, 11:44 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:

You might want to consider changing the ring and pinion too.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-05-2004, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone

I have an 2002 f150 2wd supercab longbed.
2wd .....drop it, thing would probably look nasty slammed on 24's

But thats not everybodies thing I guess
post #6 of 21 Old 11-05-2004, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX954

You guessed correctly.
post #7 of 21 Old 11-05-2004, 12:21 PM

Quote:
You guessed correctly.
Indeed he did
post #8 of 21 Old 11-05-2004, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX954

I originally wanted to lift it out of harms way of door dings and such.

Some lil immigrant chick in a 80s tempo sideswiped the passenger door, suicide door and front half of my bed a few months ago. I was telling my wife when we bought it that its a black truck...the body needs to be lifted outah harms way. So now I am getting round to the lift. Its justified more now as we have resolved to make it a keeper.

Not many trucks out there are longer than mine..cept for the crewcab longbeds. I am a few inches longer than an excursion
post #9 of 21 Old 11-05-2004, 3:37 PM

I used to have a '77 Jimmy. I put in a 4" suspension lift and a 2" body lift and shod her with 38" Mudders.

Jeez I loved that vehicle (except for the Rochester POS carb that was on it) and would have another like it if there was anywhere around this flat area of 90% farmland I could take it without getting in trouble.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-05-2004, 3:52 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillF1

You might want to consider changing the ring and pinion too.
And rotating the the differential so that the U joint isn't stressed out.

Ride Red
post #11 of 21 Old 11-05-2004, 3:58 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

make sure all the geometry is correct. a good lift kit such as those by skyjacker comes with everything needed to do it right, their kits come with all brackets and stuff to keep the differential lined up properly. Watch the show Trucks! he's lifting an old dodge ww2 truck up to the freakin sky, I wanna say he has 49 inch tires for it, the things are huge. that thing is gonna be a monster. you'll learn a lot just from watching the show. Monster trucks are awesome for city driving, you gotta intimidate the little car ****ers somehow.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #12 of 21 Old 11-09-2004, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Got real busy on the local recycler.com and found a couple sets of wheels and tires. Most of the lift kits were mentioning that they do not work with stock rims and tire backspacing.

Picked up some 16.5 x 9.75 Eagle 143s with some 33 BFG all terrains. I will need to get new tires in about 10k miles. Went down to my favorite local tire guy and got a set of lugnuts. So I spent a total of $300.

I am not thrilled with the 2.5 lift coils I tossed in the front suspension. I think I will measure them installed and remove them, measure and cut the equivalent of an inch rise out of em.

The guy at the tire shop had a fabtech coil and spindle lift and was going thru ball joints every 15K.

My body lift should be coming as soon as my check clears. I am looking at a spindle lift in the near future.
post #13 of 21 Old 11-09-2004, 9:05 PM
Fig

Tomb,
I have pictures of my lifted 78 f150 on here somewhere. By the way, I am rebuilding it. Have a crate of parts coming as we speak. I saw you over on FTE. My id there is stock78.

Now to the subject, I have a 3" body lift on my truck, and here's the key points I'll pass along.

1) Be careful using a cutting torch to remove old bed bolts. The rubber bushings can catch fire pretty easily, and are hard to put out when you are upside down laying in gravel with a lit cutting torch in one hand..

2) You are going to have to relocate your radiator. Remove the fan shroud in the mean time, since the radiator will go up, and the motor stays in the same position. I removed the radiator, measured and redrilled the mounting holes, and remounted the radiator. It works much better with the fan shroud.

3) Very important!! Unbolt the shifter lever if you have an automatic. I left my shifter connected and jacked up the body. I stretched something in the transmission, and cannot shift manually into 1st gear. You know how you have D 2 1. Well, I have no 1 anymore. The transmission goes to 1st automatically, but I can't manually shift it into 1st and have it stay there. Also, you will need to find a nice flat piece of metal to remake your shifter rod. I think my instructions had some bs about welding on a piece of metal that they included in the kit. It wasn't the same shape, and back then, I was just a dumbass teen. I found a piece of metal strapping that was thick and strong enough, and bent it and drilled it myself. Works to this day.

That's about enough for the body lift. Oh, if you have a regular ford rag joint for the steering, make sure you have a couple of spares handy. The angle of the steering shaft will increase making for more wear on the joint. I have a new Borgeson U-Joint shaft coming from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.
Fig
post #14 of 21 Old 11-09-2004, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig
Tomb,
I have pictures of my lifted 78 f150 on here somewhere. By the way, I am rebuilding it.
You're doing it!

Good move on the new steering shaft. This is one of the first things you should do to any old car, the difference is usually amazing.

post #15 of 21 Old 11-09-2004, 9:17 PM
Fig

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
You're doing it!

Good move on the new steering shaft. This is one of the first things you should do to any old car, the difference is usually amazing.
Ltl,
Yeah, I have had the truck 20 years, and was getting all misty eyed even when I decided I would give it to my brother. I think it would have been more of a pain for him.

I put in a new lifter, pushrod, and rocker arm, found the problem with the carb, gaskets too thin so it was sucking air, and took her down to get registration done. I had to weigh it, and then get it smogged. 4940 lbs, and passed smog with flying colors, even though the truck has no emission controls. It ran leaded when I first got it.

I have a crate full of body parts coming Thursday, and will have a new grill shell, grill, driver door, passenger fender, floor pan, tailgate, steering shaft, front end bushings, etc. I took the rear end out last week to replace the chunk gasket, and found metal bits in the bottom. The housing is broken inside where the pinion gear mounts. Ron from Ron's Rear Ends is setting me up with a new pumpkin housing, and fixing it up for me.. I have started sanding and priming some of the rusty spots, and will be doing most of the body work myself. I will be taking it to the paint shop here in a few weeks.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread, but I couldn't part with my baby...
Fig

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page