HP Laptops and their Service Department Stink - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 1:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

HP Laptops and their Service Department Stink

As you may know, on 08/01/04 I purchased a new laptop:

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27976

Return #1
Around the beginning of October (2 months old), it died. Wouldn't run off battery or external power. So, I called tech support and set up the FedEx pickup (on their dime). I pulled the hard drive out and used an external USB enclosure I have to pull my data off, and wipe out the drive for shipping.

About a week later, it came back (FedEx again, on their dime). I was happy with the quick turnaround. As soon as I opened the box, I noticed scratches on the outer case that weren't there before. (It was basically brand new, and I take care of my stuff.) So, I open it up, connect it back into the network/etc, and power it up. Once it was booted, I noticed what appeared to be an eyelash or a scratch under the surface of the LCD (I couldn't feel it or move it around). Then, when transferring files across the network connection, I could hear static/interference coming through the speakers, like something was crossed.

Return #2
So, I call them up, do some yelling/etc and my case gets turned over to their "Quality" Team. They offer me an extra 512megs of RAM free, and they will repair the three new problems they created. So, I typed up a VERY DETAILED list of the issues and included it in the box (as well as having the case manager detail them all over the phone, on the work order.) FedEx gets it again.

About a week and a half later, it comes back. I open the box, and so far so good. The top of the case has been replaced and is in perfect condition. I open it and turn it on and the LCD had been replaced, and looked perfect. I connect it to the network, and there's the static/interference again.

Return #3
I call my case manager back and discuss the situation. We have no idea why they didn't address the third issue. So, back it goes. Only one problem to fix this time, it has to go better right?

It came back today. Top of the case has scratches again. Front of the case has scratches. The static/interference is still present.

Today
Called my case manager a little while ago. Paperwork and receipt has been faxed, and I am awaiting a refund. This was my first HP Laptop, and will be my last (Not my first HP product. Their printers have done me well.) I'll be shopping for a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 1:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Re: HP Laptops and their Service Department Stink

I have a friend shopping for a PC laptop...I'll have to keep this in mind.
post #3 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 1:51 PM

IBM Thinkpad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 1:52 PM Thread Starter

I have my work Thinkpad now, so I may consider another desktop for home, and use the work computer for travel.
post #5 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 1:52 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Thatís a real unfortunate situation but I find customer service to be pretty nonexistent in most circumstances once the money has changed hands.

You did the right thing to ask for a full refund!!
post #6 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 1:54 PM

A friend of mine about 5 years ago used to rave about the support she got with her HP desktop, they even replaced a monitor free of charge that was about 2 months out of warranty.

I guess that paradigm has shifted.

Man, you've had a hard time with this laptop purchase!

post #7 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 2:33 PM

laptops I'd own:

Toshiba
IBM
Sony
post #8 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 2:36 PM Thread Starter

If I get another laptop, it'll most likely be Sony or IBM.
post #9 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 2:37 PM

told ya
post #10 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqSoft
If I get another laptop, it'll most likely be Sony or IBM.
I've had a couple of Sonys, and a couple of IBMs... as sexy and gimmicky as the Sonys are, they're not as good as the IBMs, and a downright pain if you stray from the Sony straight and narrow. If I had the money, I'd buy an IBM, but if you're on a budget, consider eMachines as well (yes, I'm serious). They're built by Arima, a major OEM for various heavyweights, including Dell, I believe.

Give this place a look: http://notebookforums.com/
post #11 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 3:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OHOH2
I've had a couple of Sonys, and a couple of IBMs... as sexy and gimmicky as the Sonys are, they're not as good as the IBMs, and a downright pain if you stray from the Sony straight and narrow. If I had the money, I'd buy an IBM, but if you're on a budget, consider eMachines as well (yes, I'm serious). They're built by Arima, a major OEM for various heavyweights, including Dell, I believe.

Yeah, we got an eMachine desktop for Princess, to replace her REALLY OLD Compaq. Surprisingly, it's been a really good machine, for a great price.

I should have about $1800-$2000 to spend.

EDIT: All the eMachine laptops have AMD processors.
post #12 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 3:21 PM

I like my Dell.
post #13 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OHOH2

I have a client that had EVERY SINGLE eMachine they purchased fail within 1 year. That's over 80 systems. I had advised them to purchase IBM, but they said they were saving over 25% by puchasing the eMachines. When the smoke cleared, they had spent over 200% more than my original quote (which included next day onsite service from IBM, as well as my company's support).

Hard to consider this a good idea . . .
post #14 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqSoft
Yeah, we got an eMachine desktop for Princess, to replace her REALLY OLD Compaq. Surprisingly, it's been a really good machine, for a great price.

I should have about $1800-$2000 to spend.
Dang... eMachines doesn't even make a laptop that expensive...

Their best is a serious DTR machine: http://www.e4me.com/products/product...Machines_M6811

15.4" WXGA, AMD64 3400+, 80GB HD, 512MB DDR RAM, ATI 9600, 802.11g, DVD burner, etc. around ~$1599 (BestBuy usually has even better rebates).

...spend another $150 or so to get it up to 1GB, and it'll scream. Oh yeah, both the CPU and the GPU can be easily overclocked, and remain stable.
post #15 of 74 Old 11-08-2004, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
I have a client that had EVERY SINGLE eMachine they purchased fail within 1 year. That's over 80 systems. I had advised them to purchase IBM, but they said they were saving over 25% by puchasing the eMachines. When the smoke cleared, they had spent over 200% more than my original quote (which included next day onsite service from IBM, as well as my company's support).

Hard to consider this a good idea . . .
How long ago was this? In the last year? Were they laptops? What were the machines used for? For a time, eMachines was a joke, but they've reinvented the company, and it's back on track. They recently merged with Gateway, and the eMachines CEO became CEO of Gateway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page