Shed building - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 Old 11-26-2004, 7:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE
Shed building

I was cruising along pretty good with my shed today, had the floor frame all in place and only a few more cement blocks to put in place and my leg fell in a hole up to my knee. I was like what the hell, I had walked over that spot so many times before and I guess it just had enough today. so I dug it out and ended up with a hole almost 2 feet in diameter and 1.5-2 feet down that seemed as if I found all of the hole. so I grabbed this big rock I had moved out of the way to start with and threw that in there. musta weighed almost 50 pounds but it took up a lot of the room. then I filled it back in with the dirt I had dug out and still had to get some more to completely fill it in. this shed has turned into a pain in the ass to build but I have nothing else to do so it keeps me busy for awhile. Assuming I have no set back tomorrow (me and my father are gonna use some special tool that sticks into the ground to find any more holes that might be there) I'll have it all up and ready to go. My bike will appreciate having a home finally, not just for the winter but year round.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 11-26-2004 at 7:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 11-26-2004, 8:01 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13
Re: Shed building

There is always something bro. We just about finished up the last of our remodeling in the garage and basement and it was just one of those things where if something was going smooth you could be sure it was only a matter of time before something happened
post #3 of 53 Old 11-26-2004, 9:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGZ13
There is always something bro. We just about finished up the last of our remodeling in the garage and basement and it was just one of those things where if something was going smooth you could be sure it was only a matter of time before something happened
always. first problem I had with this project is the directions to putting the damn thing together (its one of those metal sheds). basically now I'm just going with if the hole is too small for a bolt then a screw goes in there.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 11-26-2004 at 9:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 11-27-2004, 12:30 AM

Reputation Power: 0

i am asking santa for a shed for my outside too. I am going to put the yard crap in it as well as paints and stuff.

Santa is looking at vinyl sheds, did you happen to take a look at those? why did you choose what you chose?
post #5 of 53 Old 11-27-2004, 7:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
i am asking santa for a shed for my outside too. I am going to put the yard crap in it as well as paints and stuff.

Santa is looking at vinyl sheds, did you happen to take a look at those? why did you choose what you chose?
nope. only ones I looked at were wood, for about 2 seconds because they are way too much money and metal. the plastic ones are all too small for a bike, atleast the ones I saw. My only stipulations were I coulf dit my bike in there on stands and it was as cheap as possible. The shed was $199, the floor frame kit was $60 or so, I've used about 24 cement blocks I think so that was like $26, one piece of plywood for $21 (my father had the other 2 needed). And the anchoring kit was $60, that was only piece I didn't get at Lowe's had to order that form the shed company. so I've spent under $400 and my bike will have a home for itself.

I was putting it up all day today. I was out there from 9:30-6 (an hour and half after it got dark) and my father came out a few minutes after me then one friend around 12:30 and the other around 12:30. and we didn't finish. it says to get it all done in one day when you actually start putting it up but we just couldn't go any further. I have 7 of the 10 roof panels to put on, and the rollers onto the door and put the doors on, then build a ramp. Its suppose to rain and be windy tomorrow but I think it'll be ok. the 3 roof panels I have on are small ones so they won't be much of a "sail" in the wind. so I think it'll be alright tomorrow. should be decent when its all done though.

Bubba if the vinyl shed assembles like a metal shed may I suggest you put down a slab of concrete for your floor. it'll be much much easier. I had to get all the blocks level and **** and then get the frame square (which you'll still have to do). mine must be a tiny bit unlevel and maybe got off square as we were putting it up (the frame was spot on before we started putting the walls up) and it made some of the holes not line up. so I had to kinda shimmy it and force it into in some spots for the holes to line up.

not that I wanna put my bike away for the winter but it'll be nice when its all done.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 11-27-2004 at 7:24 PM.
post #6 of 53 Old 11-27-2004, 9:02 PM

thanks for the hints i am sure all this info will save me some frustration.
post #7 of 53 Old 11-28-2004, 3:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
thanks for the hints i am sure all this info will save me some frustration.
yup, I almost wish I had done the concrete slab. I thought I had all my cement blocks level but of course they must have sunk a little especially after putting the plywood down for the floor. had to "force" a few screws in and had to drill a hole in one brace cause it was just way off (they probably put the hole in the wrong place on that one cause all the others that were off were only a touch off). but the rain held off for awhile this morning so I got the roof on there. just need some edge roof pieces that attach all the roof panels together and then hang the doors and put some trim pieces on. then wait for the anchoring kit to come (ordered it friday I think so they'll get the order on monday as they aren't open weekends in the winter and hopefully they'll get it sent out within the week).

post #8 of 53 Old 11-28-2004, 6:26 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Another advantage of a cement slab is you can attach a mount for securing the bike to (maybe even when poured)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #9 of 53 Old 11-28-2004, 6:29 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
Another advantage of a cement slab is you can attach a mount for securing the bike to (maybe even when poured)
A poured slab may lead to higher property taxes also. FWIW

Insignificant Member
post #10 of 53 Old 11-29-2004, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freq
A poured slab may lead to higher property taxes also. FWIW
why?
post #11 of 53 Old 11-29-2004, 8:48 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
why?
Because a poured slab makes it a permanent structure. If it's a floor up on cinderblocks, it's considered a temporary structure. Depending on your town/state, permanent structures are taxed, temporary ones aren't.
post #12 of 53 Old 11-29-2004, 9:12 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Thanks HGT. Well put and correct as far as I know.

Now if you pour a slab and never pull a permit....................................

but we are not allowed to talk about stuff like that on Fireblades.org.

Insignificant Member
post #13 of 53 Old 11-29-2004, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freq
Thanks HGT. Well put and correct as far as I know.

Now if you pour a slab and never pull a permit....................................

but we are not allowed to talk about stuff like that on Fireblades.org.

Last edited by luvtolean; 11-29-2004 at 10:49 AM.
post #14 of 53 Old 11-29-2004, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
for the shed I got they really suggest also getting one of their anchoring kits, I ordered the one that comes with augers that you just stick inthe ground and it hold the hold structure down. they also have one for the concrete slabs and it comes with a masonary drill bit and the anchors that go into the concrete.
I could put a secure mounting thing in too. there's a central piece of plywood thats 22 inches wide and I could pull that up and bolt in a front wheel chock then put the board down. That would be pretty secure and I could just ride right into the chock. thats a good idea but I'm not gonna do it, it would take up valueable space.

post #15 of 53 Old 11-29-2004, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
Because a poured slab makes it a permanent structure. If it's a floor up on cinderblocks, it's considered a temporary structure. Depending on your town/state, permanent structures are taxed, temporary ones aren't.
I guess its good I didn't have one poured cause I didn't know that. besides I live in a duplex and I'd have to ask my neighbor if the truck could drive on their lawn to get to the back of the back yard cause my pool doesn't allow anything even as big as car back there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page