Acura TL Type-S or Acura RSX Type S ? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 7:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Acura TL Type-S or Acura RSX Type S ?

I am thinking of buying a new(to me) car very soon, I think that I have it narrowed down to a couple a 2001 Acura TL Type S (loaded, 260 hp) or a 2002 RSX Type S (loaded, 200hp) I have looked at the two very close. The cars have almost identical options on them but I just cannot decide on which one to get? One part of me wants the sporty, really fun to drive RSX while another part of me wants the more laid back, comfy, sleeper car.
On a day to day basis I think that the hatchback RSX would be more useable, but something keeps pulling me back to the TL? Any one have one of these cars? what do you think of it? which would you chose?
Other cars that I have thought of include a 2001 Mustang GT, a 2001 Cadillac STS, 2002 Subaru WRX(its a bit more, but...) 2000-2001 Honda Prelude, 2000 Acura integraGS-R, 1998 Civic Hatchback, or a 1994-1997 Honda Accord. I would really like to have a standard, but, I have had autos before.
Anyone think of anything else in the under $20,000 range(canadian)? Sporty but usable? keep in mind that I am only 24 and insurance will most likley be a factor too(I am yet to check on the Mustang)
Thanks for any input.
Oh yeah and no supercharged vibes sheep...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 7:51 AM

Re: Acura TL Type-S or Acura RSX Type S ?

I just swapped the speakers out on a 2002 RSX. I couldnt believe how cheap the stockers were. Ford puts a beefier stock speaker in their cars.

The RSX is the sister in laws. If I recall right my wife liked our 2001 v-6 cougar better.

A guy at work was asking everyone about the RSX and was getting told
"thats a girls car"

I really have no opinion...heck if you gave it to me I would drive it....after swapping the speakers of course.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 7:55 AM

I'd get the Acura TL. Second would be the Subura WRX, All wheel drive ,270hp turbo, awesome performance car for the money IMO. You can't beat and Acura though, always at the top in Consumers Report.
Tough choices,to many really nice cars to choose from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 8:18 AM Thread Starter

I always thought that the RSX was a Honda product? Wasnt the Cougar the replacment for the Probe? I dont know if they are "Sisters" but then again I am no car dealer...I already have the system to put in it so I dont think that the stockers will be a problem anyways...nothing a couple hundred watts wont fix
I think that my biggest concern with the higher end cars(ie acura, cadillac) is the higher end repair costs...but maybe I am out to lunch on that one? I was hoping that if I got the TL Type S it would just not break...it only has 80,000 KMS on it but I think that is a little far fetched at best.
post #5 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern RR
I always thought that the RSX was a Honda product? Wasnt the Cougar the replacment for the Probe? I dont know if they are "Sisters" but then again I am no car dealer.
He was saying his sister in law owned the RSX.

The rsx is Honda, it's the replacement for the Intergra. Everywhere else in the world where acura doesn't exist, it's sold as a honda integra, not an RSX. The TSX is the 4 door version. If I was looking it'd be the TL and TSX, not the RSX. The TL is the euro version of the Accord, more slimmed down and agressive over the fat US version. Guess it depends on how often you plan on having someone in the back seat, I'd get the TL if you want people back there.
post #6 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 10:09 AM

the tsx is the euro accord not the tl...before u buy the tl...see if the transmission has been replaced. They have had had some serious issues with the auto tranny in the tl. When you drive it see if it likes to hesitate before going into gear..or maybe a slight shutter. Acura has extended the warranty on the transmissions in that car. My dads tl type s did the same thing but he dumped it for a lexus before any issues. Acura makes a great car but the auto trannys are junk. I work for a dealer is the reason i know this...we are replacing the transmissions in those cars daily. if you have any questions u can pm me if you like,
post #7 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 11:31 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to EDDIE110171

I'd buy the Mustang. The Ford 4.6 V8 is hard to beat and they sound good too with Flowmasters. But then again I'm a Ford man. Good luck on whatever you buy.

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."
- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)
post #8 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

oops, I guess if you read the post it helps...thanks for the info on the TL-S tranny, that is one of those things that you dont often hear about, but I think that is because no one around here has one...as far as the back seat I really dont get back there much, just the dog. So leg room is really not an issue. I do like the idea of another hatch...but that is still to be determined...I am not sure what I am going to get into but I will be sure to keep updating.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 12:35 PM

I had a RSX Type S. It was an excellent car, best one I've owned. Fast, handles well, gets great gas mileage, really no complaints.
post #10 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat
I'd get the Acura TL. Second would be the Subura WRX, All wheel drive ,270hp turbo, awesome performance car for the money IMO. You can't beat and Acura though, always at the top in Consumers Report.
Tough choices,to many really nice cars to choose from.
The WRX puts out much less hp than that, its like 227, and only in the mid 100's at the wheel from what my friend sais about his. He did some engine work to be happy with it, changing up/down pipes and all that crap. I would go with the RSX, the TL is nice but is large, I like sportier cars. It prolly gets much better mileage than the TL as well. Wether people call it girly or not, it has pep. If insurance is a big factor, the Mustang is unapproachable, I have looked into it as well, and, being 21, they tried to bend me over. Then again, any 2-door car will get you in the end...us young people are too much of a liability to own a 2-door, appearantly the 4 doors are a safer investment for us Not like the extra 2 doors makes it any safer...
post #11 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 1:47 PM

227hp is correct on the standard WRX, it's the STi that makes 300hp.
post #12 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 1:48 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth23
I had a RSX Type S. It was an excellent car, best one I've owned. Fast, handles well, gets great gas mileage, really no complaints.
You know, I was gonna' say the RSX is a "girls car".............................

Someone said it for me.

Insignificant Member
post #13 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 5:55 PM Thread Starter

Well, its all over now...I bought a 2000 Honda Prelude...I have always been a fan of them and I got a GREAT deal on it...It is a pearl metalic white, 5 speed with heated seats, moon roof, cruise, pl,pw,keyless. the best part is that it only has 39,000 KMS on it and it is MINT! and I got it for just over $17,000(canadian) at a dealership taxes in (15%) (I think it was around 14,500 before tax?) the only thing that it is missing is leather, but I am not too worried about that...I will be sure to post pics later when I pick it up on monday night...thanks for the input.
post #14 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freq
You know, I was gonna' say the RSX is a "girls car".............................

Someone said it for me.
And you drive a S2k That is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.
Welcome to the real.
post #15 of 27 Old 11-27-2004, 7:32 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

'ludes are nice - can't go wrong there either , sort of the best of both worlds in a way. You can still fit people in the back, still get decent economy of a 4 with decent torque, and still mod it a bit if you want.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page