the state of things here in GA - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-01-2004, 1:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

the state of things here in GA

in the news over the past month or so there has been alot in the way of money. The local police here are getting a 4% raise, however the firefighters and the rest of the gov't employees are only receiving a 1% raise. The firefighters have been raising pure hell

now check this out - on the 12o'clock news Delta has just announced that they are cutting the salaries of the pilots 37%, as well as pension cuts, easier furlough practices and longer hours. Could you live on 1/3 of your current income? Anyway - 197 of them quit right there

So I wonder how much attention will be paid to the firefighter whining about the RAISE they are getting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-01-2004, 3:10 PM

Re: the state of things here in GA

So I ask myself, "why would anyone want to live in Atlanta? Isn't this the place that has a high crime rate and polution problems?
post #3 of 15 Old 12-01-2004, 5:14 PM Thread Starter

dont know, i live about 40 minutes outside of atl.

i moved from nj to here, so it was an automatic improvement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-01-2004, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
in the news over the past month or so there has been alot in the way of money. The local police here are getting a 4% raise, however the firefighters and the rest of the gov't employees are only receiving a 1% raise. The firefighters have been raising pure hell

now check this out - on the 12o'clock news Delta has just announced that they are cutting the salaries of the pilots 37%, as well as pension cuts, easier furlough practices and longer hours. Could you live on 1/3 of your current income? Anyway - 197 of them quit right there

So I wonder how much attention will be paid to the firefighter whining about the RAISE they are getting
The Airlines are in trouble because of unions. Period.

I've got friends at American that get paid OVER $40k a year to throw baggage. Give me a friggin' break.

Last edited by Kidder; 12-01-2004 at 5:26 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-01-2004, 6:07 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to EDDIE110171

Quote:
dont know, i live about 40 minutes outside of atl.

i moved from nj to here, so it was an automatic improvement

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."
- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)
post #6 of 15 Old 12-01-2004, 11:07 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Considering the risk the firefighters are under, they should not be classified with "the rest of the employees". Seeing that their retirement is classified "high risk" like the cops, they should be compensated as such.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-01-2004, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkeatr
Considering the risk the firefighters are under, they should not be classified with "the rest of the employees". Seeing that their retirement is classified "high risk" like the cops, they should be compensated as such.
Agreed!
post #8 of 15 Old 12-01-2004, 11:16 PM

I knew I'd never get rich in this business but keeping up with the cost of living would be nice...
post #9 of 15 Old 12-02-2004, 12:01 AM

Don't look for any improvement in the next 4 years. That is all.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-02-2004, 9:25 AM

The feds have little to do with my county job and our budget. We are the second affluant county in Fl. The commisioners are paid top dollar in the state and we're around 68th.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-02-2004, 9:53 AM Thread Starter

that is exactly how i felt in the army. imagine being in a 5th or 6th world country and being shot at and are below the poverty level for the US
post #12 of 15 Old 12-02-2004, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
Don't look for any improvement in the next 4 years. That is all.
Very sneaky Bacchus. But true.

Seriously though, this is just my opinion, once prices go up or salaries are frozen/raise percentages lowered, they don't change quickly if ever.
Meaning, once your area car insurance is raised, they're not going to lower it because things got better. Same with housing insurance or health care. They may hault the increase, but they'll never reduce cost even if whatever situation has been rectified that caused the initial increase. And around here, companies are not freeing up their checkbooks even if things (profit) improve. They'll stay with the "times are still tough right now".

I would freak if my car insurance, house insurance, or health care provider reduced their rates because times were better. Or my company called me in and said "we know we've basically screwed you the last 3-4 years and you're basically losing money each year due to cost of living, so here's your well deserved bonus and large percentage pay increase."
post #13 of 15 Old 12-02-2004, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Just the opposite out here for the community service peeps. Firefighters made a killing and the cops got squat. Had to go over to the local POPO's to get an accident report awhile back, never said a word and the sarge goes, "we ain't hiring!" WTF, like I want to be shot at more in my life? Told him I was just there for the report. After the announcement of no raise and possible cuts the staties went on a ticketing spree. Thicker than thieves they were.

Sad about the pilots but 9/11 still echoes in the books for them. Going to be about another2 yrs before they even can start looking at being in the black. But here is my bet, despite cutbacks upper management still gets their 1.2 million dollar bonuses.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-02-2004, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave954
But here is my bet, despite cutbacks upper management still gets their 1.2 million dollar bonuses.

I just found out that the CEO of the company I work for makes 9.7mil a year.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-02-2004, 11:23 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by colryn

I just found out that the CEO of the company I work for makes 9.7mil a year.
So quite whining and start your own company. All you have to do is risk your house and work 70+ hours a week for a 50% or less chance of success

Now I am not a fan of corporation people getting 7 figure salaries unless the creator is running the company, but that is what the market currently pays so get over it.

Must obey the sheep dog

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page