Animal abuse alleged over incident with K-9 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-01-2004, 8:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Animal abuse alleged over incident with K-9

K9inAZ and I have been talking about this some over in the Po-Po forum, but it's too interesting a story not to share. It's a bit of a wordy tale, lol, so bear with me...

Tuesday morning, one of my officers was engaged in proactive patrol and observed a vehicle in a gas station parking lot downtown. One of the occupants was a fugitive, Michael Bartlett, wanted for two felony warrants. The officer called for backup, but Bartlett bolted from the scene, running into a three story apartment building nearby.

I directed necessary resources to the scene so as to lock down the building. A canine was called for and, because our guys were out of service elsewhere, the local sheriff's office K-9 handler arrived with his dog.

A contact team was formed including ram man (me), K-9 (the deputy), rifle man (one of my guys), Taser (the original cop who spotted the bad guy), and control officers (two more of my guys). Fresh pursuit, as it's called, was then resumed.

The exterior security door was breached and the entry door to the apartment was rammed. Bartlett was then located (literally) hiding under the covers in the master bedroom. He was ordered out under threat of canine deployment and copious armament mustered by the arrest team. He was eager to comply, offered no resistance, and was placed into custody without further incident.

LINK to news story

Fine and dandy, right? Another bad boy goes to jail and the guys in blue and brown save the day and all that happy horseshit, yes? Well, here's where things get sticky.

While the media was filming us bring the fugitive out to the waiting cruisers...

LINK to second news story, w/video

The PETA people, local Human Society, and sundry animal rights activists have their panties all in a bunch over this. Local talk-radio shows are crammed with calls for the cop's badge. They're calling the incident animal abuse and proof that police agencies beat their animals to provoke them to bite innocent citizens.

I just thought I'd post this as some grist for the conversation mill. Perhaps K9inAZ will weigh in here, but I'd like to hear what our non-cop members think of the story and video as well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-01-2004, 8:38 PM

Re: Animal abuse alleged over incident with K-9

Animal abuse for that?

I'm told those dogs are on crack when they're working. They are dying to be loosed. My GF told me on ride alongs when the sirens started the dog would be pacing and howling in the back just amped to go.

A dog is a pack animal. It's all about dominance. And a GS, or any dog that is a cop dog is by definition extremely dominant. The handler must be even more so.

How about if they didn't discipline the dog and it bit someone?

EDIT: Dude, this is PETA. What else would you expect? It's like Michael Moore at a Bush speech, $eeing dollar signs in the scene.

Last edited by luvtolean; 12-01-2004 at 8:42 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-01-2004, 9:07 PM

Lame. Lame that some people are this oversensitized to the 'plight' of animals and/or bored enough to get in an uproar about it.

The way I see it, the video shows both the handler and the dog taking care of business.

...now the cops shooting that family pooch during a traffic stop last year, that's another story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-01-2004, 9:21 PM

Reputation Power: 50

I say we put the PETA activists and the K-9 into the same room and let them try and discipline the dog
post #5 of 20 Old 12-01-2004, 10:04 PM

Reputation Power: 31

PETA sucks. If they're so worried about animals, why don't they all go and each adopt at least one dog or cat from a shelter.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-01-2004, 10:19 PM

Reputation Power: 20

I say next time they go and retrieve a fugitive, send in a team of PETA activists and see how well they do.

Be fast or be last.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-01-2004, 11:47 PM

Chain,

Your nickname is Ram Man? Or is that police lingo for something? If it's your nickname then --->

Oh, and K-9s are police officers. They have a job to do. If PETA got in the way, they'd never be allowed to work for the departments.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-01-2004, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Although it is Chain we're talking about here, I'm ASSuming the ram man is the guy with the "key to the city".
post #9 of 20 Old 12-02-2004, 12:16 AM

All I'm getting from the vid is about a one second clip of the cop swinging his hand downward. Can't tell if it was a "love tap", or just saying "no!", or both. At any rate, the responses are total bullshit. The whiners have no idea what is involved in working with a highly trained animal under such conditions. PHUCK 'EM!!!
post #10 of 20 Old 12-02-2004, 12:23 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

The only group worse than PETA is Green Peace. Ooops I forgot the morons in the press that are willing to propagate the ignorance they spew.

Sorry to hear you guys are being afflicted by that squad of morons Chain.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #11 of 20 Old 12-02-2004, 9:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
Although it is Chain we're talking about here, I'm ASSuming the ram man is the guy with the "key to the city".
LOL! Key to the city, never heard that one. Classic!

Yessir, BDA is correct, Chain manned the battering ram.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-02-2004, 9:33 AM
Sponsor

Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
LOL! Key to the city, never heard that one. Classic!

Yessir, BDA is correct, Chain manned the battering ram.

You're always ramming something, usually PETE though.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-02-2004, 9:36 AM Thread Starter

That is SO wrong.

post #14 of 20 Old 12-02-2004, 10:46 AM

These are the same people that would scream that the police are not doing enough to catch this creep at the same time. People just need to buck up and face the fact that, we as a society, are not ever going to be able to hold hands, gather around a fire and, sing Kum by ya. Just ain't gonna happen.

Freakin' wankers.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-02-2004, 11:00 AM
ER

It should be hard to take anything PETA says seriously after seeing the comparison they made between a chicken-farm and a concentration camp. They're off in the deep end.

I've spent the last six months (off and on) reading up on training aggressive and inherently dominant dogs. It's interesting to note the differences in approaches between articles written by those who tend to think like PETA vs. those who have had a lot of experience training guard/work dogs. They use their articles to take indirect shots at one another, with the PETAs calling physical discipline "inhumane" and the trainers calling the PETAs "tree-huggers".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page