Orange County Choppers - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 Old 12-01-2004, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Orange County Choppers

Do these guys ever use a torque wrench? These V twins should just vibrate the bikes apart.

"You better get going when the gettings good"

Don't drive a hearse in the carpool lane.
F.D. 2844
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 12-01-2004, 11:16 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13
Re: Orange County Choppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderedcbr
Do these guys ever use a torque wrench? These V twins should just vibrate the bikes apart.

"You better get going when the gettings good"
They do squat. They come up with the idea and one of the other crew members does the actual work
post #3 of 61 Old 12-02-2004, 1:24 AM

Reputation Power: 0

As a professional Welder/fabricator/machinist for over 10 years...these guys are hacks. But people keep writing them checks so whos to say its bad They are original, they have creativity, but the skill, precision and attention to detail is just not there. Heres an idea nuckleheads, try drilling proper size holes, why the F would you wait untill your $3k frame has a $1k chrome job on it, or your tins have a $5k paint job to figure out a bolt wont fit, so you drill it out leaving raw steel in every hole. Rusty water weaping out of every crack after a few washes is real attractive. Its not rocket science to know how much plating/painting/powdercoating will reduce the I.D. of a hole. And if you need to mask it off, then have the part plated first before paint. Take a look on any production bike, nothing with the exception of perhaps a few polished aluminum parts, is raw.

PS: if your painter needs to put 1/8" of bondo over everything, your metal work sucks and your weld fillets look like bird crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 12-02-2004, 1:40 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to EDDIE110171

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
As a professional Welder/fabricator/machinist for over 10 years...these guys are hacks. But people keep writing them checks so whos to say its bad They are original, they have creativity, but the skill, precision and attention to detail is just not there. Heres an idea nuckleheads, try drilling proper size holes, why the F would you wait untill your $3k frame has a $1k chrome job on it, or your tins have a $5k paint job to figure out a bolt wont fit, so you drill it out leaving raw steel in every hole. Rusty water weaping out of every crack after a few washes is real attractive. Its not rocket science to know how much plating/painting/powdercoating will reduce the I.D. of a hole. And if you need to mask it off, then have the part plated first before paint. Take a look on any production bike, nothing with the exception of perhaps a few polished aluminum parts, is raw.

PS: if your painter needs to put 1/8" of bondo over everything, your metal work sucks and your weld fillets look like bird crap.
Now don't hold back let us know how you really feel.

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."
- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)
post #5 of 61 Old 12-02-2004, 1:56 AM
DUX

Reputation Power: 21

I don't watch it anymore. Funny how almost every episode, something doesn't fit or work and they take a hammer to it.

I'll spare the long story, but wound up at their shop once by accident. Paul Sr was there and he was a complete A$$hole (just like the show.)

All of the support they show for the military when the camera is on them is a bunch of BS as well.

Last edited by DUX; 12-02-2004 at 1:58 AM.
post #6 of 61 Old 12-02-2004, 2:10 AM

Yeah, don't sugar coat it G-Force! Although, I hear ya...
post #7 of 61 Old 12-02-2004, 3:58 AM
Zop

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to Zop

Quote:

Bwahahahaha Tell us what you really think about them, come on

Yes it's Fast. No you can't ride it.
post #8 of 61 Old 12-02-2004, 5:16 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:

WOW! OK now you can tell me how you feel about my race bike but wait till I get it out of you garage first

Don't drive a hearse in the carpool lane.
F.D. 2844

Last edited by coderedcbr; 12-02-2004 at 5:18 AM.
post #9 of 61 Old 12-02-2004, 8:36 AM

I am no welder/machinist/fabricator but I wondered the same thing as G-force. It just seemed like they were going about things wrong. G-force makes a good point about fit and finish. It always seemed as though they were hacks. I also got tired of seeing the father ans son arguing. Now it seems like it is staged. To their credit, I got to view the snap-on bike over the weekend at a car show in Orlando. The bike theme really worked. I thought it looked great.
post #10 of 61 Old 12-02-2004, 8:57 AM

If these "bikes" were sold for maybe $7,000 - $12,000, I could appreciate some of them. But to sell anywhere from $80,000 - $200,000? What a joke! I couldn't imagine writing the check after watching how they put it togethor and "fix" some of their tight fits and mis-aligned fenders.

The "time" constraint has always been BS, along with the 50 other copy cat bike/car TV shows (example, Hot Rod). Gimme a break.

If we ever wanted to REALLY tortue the Japanese, we would force their motorcycle engineers to watch the entire series of OCC!
post #11 of 61 Old 12-02-2004, 9:15 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

I don't watch any 'reality' shows. If you want to watch a bunch of hotheads and tramps it is easy to find real not faked reality. I try not to let A******s in my house, even on TV

Must obey the sheep dog
post #12 of 61 Old 12-02-2004, 10:15 AM

I've been watching American Hot Rod lately w/ Boyd Coddington. It's pretty cool.

HD
post #13 of 61 Old 12-02-2004, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee
I've been watching American Hot Rod lately w/ Boyd Coddington. It's pretty cool.

HD
Overhaulin' for me. Chip Foose is a god, and Courtney is HOT!!!
post #14 of 61 Old 12-02-2004, 10:21 AM

A customer of mine is in marketing for a large Mobile Electronics manufacturer. He went to OCC to inquire about them building a bike for CES. The entire morning Paul & Paul Jr. were sitting in the office with their feet up while a dozen guys were really working. He said after every time he spoke Paul Sr. asked if he could write them a check for a million dollars. Going further into negotiations, he had to explain what CES was and that there will be close to a million people there. That's when Jr. perked up and asked if they could sell T-Shirts. Jr. said they make 40 grand a day selling apparel.

He agrees with G Force too. seeing some of their older bikes, he said the fit & Finish sucked and they were rusting, chipped up, hacks up close. The end result is I may be putting a custom audio system on a Vespa that is given away.
post #15 of 61 Old 12-02-2004, 10:25 AM

Nothin' but marketing. The bikes are cool but don't let it fool you. As stated there is a lot you don't see. The real wrenches come in and finish fix everything. Nothing more than a Soap Opera for Hardley "riders".

I don't want to get banned for this but...

I agree with Pete, Courtney is hot. Her and Cheryl Crow standing next to each other on that one episode.... oh man the mind went wild.

Last edited by Mojave954; 12-02-2004 at 10:27 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page