lasik question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 12-02-2004, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

lasik question

i know, i know

i am on the verge of making the appointment and thought i found a good place. they are charging 3700 for lasik and 4500 for custom lasik. I found them through the VSP (insurance) website doctor.

here is the twist. my neighbor lady who had hers done 3 years ago - paid 1300 for both eyes and has not had a problem. she got them done through Lasik Plus.

I am waiting on a call back from the cheaper place now. what should i ask them to see why they are so much cheaper?

I am sure they will give me that shoei line - "what are your " eyes "worth"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 12-02-2004, 11:39 AM

Re: lasik question

All I can say is research....talk to a couple eye doctors and see who they recommend. Try and do some research on line etc. This is one place I would not go for the cheapest price on.

Also look into what they do for follow on care and "touchup" at a later date. The good ones provide these services free of charge for your lifetime with the initial fee from what I've heard.
post #3 of 56 Old 12-02-2004, 11:42 AM

I'll do 'em for ya, $300/eye, if you don't mind lying still on my workbench.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 Old 12-02-2004, 11:43 AM

A friend's wife had LASIK done a month or so ago. Her eyes were messed up for a couple weeks because:

a) she's a slow healer (she found out)
b) she needed a touch up

She said they were pretty much the most terrifying couple of weeks of her life.

My aunt found a group that claims to do AF pilots. That sounded like a pretty good place to try to me.

post #5 of 56 Old 12-02-2004, 11:50 AM

ask to see their "portfolio"... Any dr will do the surgery, but go to a dr that won't do the surgery unless the pre-op scan points that you'll have 20/20 vision after...

My mom had it done and the dr wouldn't perform the surgery if he didn't think he could get her 20/20. The result, a year later is she is 20/20 in her right eye, 20/15 in her left... She loves it.
post #6 of 56 Old 12-02-2004, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

i just got off the phone with them. it seems that there are 3 different type of surgeries they do - the 699, the 1399 and the 1799 /eye. then you add 100 for lifetime care.

The technology that is most expensive is called Wavefront and a computer maps the whole thing

the middle one is where a DR does most of the mappings

and the cheap one is where a chimp (or pete) does it. kidding - did not even ask.

is the lifetime care over a years care worth it?
post #7 of 56 Old 12-02-2004, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
is the lifetime care over a years care worth it?
I've known 3 or 4 people that had it and they all needed a "touch up". For some it was free, for some >$300/eye. Find out how much touch ups are, but I'd say yes, it's worth it.

post #8 of 56 Old 12-02-2004, 12:09 PM

Reputation Power: 31

I'd say it's worth it. My Dr. has the lifetime free touch-ups. I may need to go for one at some point. I had mine done 2 years ago. I was not quite 20/20. He undercorrected me just a bit since I was so nearsighted. If he made me 20/20 I'd need reading glasses for everything. Since I do a lot of close work, that wouldn't be good. Now, 2 years later, my eyes have changed and I do need a mild corrective lens for night driving. I'm still satisfied overall. I mean, I was blind before. I had almost 2 years glasses-free, now I just need them very part-time. When I get to the point where I need reading glasses anyway, and/or my vision gets worse, then I'll go for a touch-up. I wasn't surprised, as my glasses prescription used to change every few years.
post #9 of 56 Old 12-02-2004, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know I've told you this before, but find a surgeon that uses a VISX Star S4 system with Wavefront. I haven't had a single problem with my LASIK, and would spend that much money on it again in a heartbeat.
Research the different technologies and Laser systems, then make your choice accordingly.
post #10 of 56 Old 12-02-2004, 1:16 PM

I paid $4500 to have my eyes "done" about a year ago. One reason for my price being so high is that I had 20/400 vision in each eye, astigmatism (slight) in both eyes, and thin corneas. So, needless to say, my price was higher than someone that's just nearsighted.

I went to Carter Eye Center in Dallas. I wanted the best doctor and also someone with the best equipment. Dr. Carter is a pioneer in the field of eye surgeries. He was one of the first doctors to do lens replacement (for people with cataracts). So, needless to say, I was paying for experience, as well.

I know see 20/15 in my left eye and 20/20 in my right eye. I actually had a procedure called LASEK (Laser Epithelial Keratotomy) due to my thin corneas. I wasn't able to have the normal procedure where they can cut back a flap of epithelial tissue so they can laser the eye.

I have a friend I work with who went the discount way. It cost him about $1200. He's already had to go back for another procedure besides his original surgery. He's still wearing glasses. His doctor said they will get it right but that he had to wait a year.

So, I am a firm believer that you do get what you pay for. DO YOUR RESEARCH. I would've had no problem going with a less expensive doctor if I would've felt comfortable with their level of expertise. However, after doing my research, I went with Dr. Carter.

FWIW
post #11 of 56 Old 12-02-2004, 3:43 PM Thread Starter

the first place just called me back and I found out that the technology is exactly the same VISX or Bausch&Lome WaveFront. But they are 1k more.

I asked her if she knew that and she said yes. I asked why and she said that physician care may be the price difference. That made no sense to me. These DR's dont make 1k an hour, that is my guess on how long I will see a DR on all 4 followups. So who cares if it is a tech that sees me, if there is a problem will the DR be called? I am thinking yes. She had nothing to say bad about the other place and had no customers that had told her anything bad.

Am I way off here thinking the cheaper is the better - 3600 v 4500?

Cause I am thinking 1k goes 1/65 of the way to my new vette
post #12 of 56 Old 12-02-2004, 4:34 PM

Quote:
<snip>

Go with what you're comfortable with. Just to give you a few instances of things I got that the other guy I know didn't get are as follows:

Eye mapping 1 hour PRIOR to surgery. On my first visit, they mapped my eyes to let me know what kind of surgery I was eligible for. However, they also said they map them on the day of the surgery to make sure nothing drastic has changed. The other doctor did not do that.

The surgery center was in the same place as the office. The other guy had a doctor in Fort Worth but went to have his surgery in Dallas. The guy who performed his procedure had never seen him before.

I was given specific post-op instructions on the drops I was to use (an anti-inflammatory and an antibiotic). My friend I work with was given eye drops to use. A week later he was still having discomfort AND his eyesight was not improving. So, he called and they told him that he was using the wrong drops that they gave him. THREE visits later, they finally got him on the correct drops.

Again, go with what you're comfortable with. Also, if they guarantee their results like my doctor does (20/20 or its free), you should be fine. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by Kidder; 12-02-2004 at 4:35 PM.
post #13 of 56 Old 12-02-2004, 6:13 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
the first place just called me back and I found out that the technology is exactly the same VISX or Bausch&Lome WaveFront. But they are 1k more.

I asked her if she knew that and she said yes. I asked why and she said that physician care may be the price difference. That made no sense to me. These DR's dont make 1k an hour, that is my guess on how long I will see a DR on all 4 followups. So who cares if it is a tech that sees me, if there is a problem will the DR be called? I am thinking yes. She had nothing to say bad about the other place and had no customers that had told her anything bad.

Cause I am thinking 1k goes 1/65 of the way to my new vette
All I know on the topic really is whats been said here and just a quick question of how much and can I get it a few eyars ago to my eye doctor. but $3600 doesn't sound exactly cheap. I will say with every kind of doctor its best to do some research and asking around. I went to the dentist today and it was a new one to me who came recommened by a friend of my moms and she was awesome. Third one I had been too. so the research of who is best does help a lot and meet all of them too, get a good impression of the person also.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #14 of 56 Old 12-16-2004, 8:44 AM Thread Starter

well, i have the surgery in 2 hours. i hope to see you guys later, well except for pete and i will be dreaming of him
post #15 of 56 Old 12-16-2004, 8:48 AM

Good luck man! You should get them polished like Vin Diesel so you can seee in the dark and bling like Pete all at the same time

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page