How can this be legal? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 5:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

How can this be legal?

I see at least 3 positions in Dallas every week that I would damn near kill for.

After speaking with some HR reps around the country, and some fellow colleagues in the same boat, companies just aren't dealing with out of state applicants, whatsoever.

What if you are willing to relocate yourself, pay for any plane flights for interviews etc?

Forgive me, I start work at a position tomorrow and I'm bummed, pissed, depressed, angry, you name it. I can't believe I'm still in this bitch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 5:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 35

Re: How can this be legal?

It would seem to me that if an applicant was specific in offering to bear all relocation costs, there wouldn't be a bona fide reason to exclude that person from consideration.

However, if that would really be the case, Why don't you just get down there? Hopefully you could then compete for the Dallas jobs as they come up..

If by being violent you mean Islam prescribes expansion of its rule through warfare and is therefore violent then so be it. - SPDUDE
See you at Grattan June 25-27 2007 !
Email me for info.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 5:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRVFR
It would seem to me that if an applicant was specific in offering to bear all relocation costs, there wouldn't be a bona fide reason to exclude that person from consideration.

However, if that would really be the case, Why don't you just get down there? Hopefully you could then compete for the Dallas jobs as they come up..
I don't have the $ to fork up a few k for moving costs, then sit idly with no $ coming in while I wait. I need to secure a position prior to moving as I don't want to start tapping into my investments.

Last edited by booth23; 12-06-2004 at 5:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 5:54 PM

Reputation Power: 46

It is legal because they aren't discriminating against any of the protected criteria.
It sucks that they aren't giving you a chance, however. My guess is that they are just tossing out resumes from out of staters figuring that they would want relocation costs, rather than giving them a chance to state otherwise. They also may want to get the position filled quickly and painlessly and assume that an out of stater will only phone interview and/or take more time than they are willing to wait.
All this means that you just need to be aggressive.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 6:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
All this means that you just need to be aggressive.
How is this?
Taken directly from online resume.

Quote:
Objective: Obtain a new position working in Telecommunications/IT with a stable company. If no relocation assistance is available, I will move myself, pay for any plane flights for interviews, and will be available for work 2 weeks from the hiring date just as if I lived locally. I want to get back to Texas, please hire me!
Next up will be overseas calling me to work as they are in dire need and are paying extremely well. That is how bad I want to get out of here. I don't want to work overseas due to the danger but a 50k signing bonus and 300k tax free dollars for one year sounds a million times better than Seattle
post #6 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 6:42 PM

Reputation Power: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth23
How is this?
Taken directly from online resume.

Next up will be overseas calling me to work as they are in dire need and are paying extremely well. That is how bad I want to get out of here. I don't want to work overseas due to the danger but a 50k signing bonus and 300k tax free dollars for one year sounds a million times better than Seattle
Sounds good to me, except maybe the last sentence. It might sound a bit desperate. But then again, that may be what you're going for?
post #7 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 6:48 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I have an extra bedroom I can rent you if you want a Texas residence to put down on your apps.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 6:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgler
I have an extra bedroom I can rent you if you want a Texas residence to put down on your apps.
They all do background checks now
post #9 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 7:18 PM

Reputation Power: 32

Quote:
Sounds good to me, except maybe the last sentence. It might sound a bit desperate. But then again, that may be what you're going for?
My thought too...
post #10 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 7:57 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

For the little it is worth.

Try:
Objective: To relocate back to Texas to be closer to my family while continuing to utilize my skills. To aide in achieving my goal I am willing to pay for my relocation and interview costs. I am available for start date within 2 weeks of an offer and have a temporary residence presently.

I am sure you can adapt the facts and better word this but... more professional sounding words would be needed, be proactive on the expense issue (it might cost you if they were going to offer but this leaves no doubt for them), give a reason for coming to Texas if for instance it is family that is huge for companies as YOU look stable they also worry on turnover. Also I would eliminate your stable clause as you can judge the company and turn down offers and interviews when offered if needed.

Good luck.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #11 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 8:03 PM

Reputation Power: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
For the little it is worth.

Try:
Objective: To relocate back to Texas to be closer to my family while continuing to utilize my skills. To aide in achieving my goal I am willing to pay for my relocation and interview costs. I am available for start date within 2 weeks of an offer and have a temporary residence presently.

Good luck.

That reads well, sheep.

If by being violent you mean Islam prescribes expansion of its rule through warfare and is therefore violent then so be it. - SPDUDE
See you at Grattan June 25-27 2007 !
Email me for info.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 8:03 PM

Reputation Power: 27

My thought too brother. Have applied for several positions that I am well qualified for but there are no phone calls. What really gets ya are the ones that have been open for MONTHS! WTFO!
post #13 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 8:42 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Also I am cannot speak for all businesses but in my area, companies sometimes troll for resumes with no immediate plan to hire.

Reasons:
Sample market prices
Use rsumes to bid with (gov has cracked down some on this)
The job is planned for internal fill but policies require publishing it

Keep this in mind and try hard to keep your attitude positive. Positive and proactive attitude is a highly desirable trait.

Good luck and remember AL is a hell hole and no one should move here

Must obey the sheep dog
post #14 of 20 Old 12-06-2004, 9:17 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Send a message via AIM to colryn

Please keep in mind that it costs MONEY to move an employee. Budgets are very tight right now. I was very fortunate to get a job with a company that was willing to pay for my relocation expenses. This was relocating only 60 miles away. So far, it is costing them in the range of 20k.

Keep sending resumes and it will happen. Good Luck....
post #15 of 20 Old 12-07-2004, 7:58 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Sounds good to me, except maybe the last sentence. It might sound a bit desperate.
I'm with BDA about that last sentence. Not to sound overly harsh, but as a previous hiring manager, I can tell you that you shot yourself in the foot with that last line.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page