Auto stereo question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 12-08-2004, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 29

Auto stereo question

OK, this is really off topic but... I have an older Pioneer receiver/CD player(model DEH 405, not that it matters). It's now in it's second vehicle, and must be at least 8 years old. About a month ago it started sounding like I was getting poor reception from the local stations (static, cutting out, etc.). I finally realized that there must be an internal loose connection, 'cause I can tap the underside area of the player and eventually get good reception again. Any stereo people out there? Any ideas as to what I would look for, were I to take it out of the dash and pull it apart? Or should I just buy a new unit? If I can salvage it I would like to, as it otherwise performs flawlessly and is a satisfactory unit for me. TIA!

Here in Oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-08-2004, 11:48 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Auto stereo question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
OK, this is really off topic but... I have an older Pioneer receiver/CD player(model DEH 405, not that it matters). It's now in it's second vehicle, and must be at least 8 years old. About a month ago it started sounding like I was getting poor reception from the local stations (static, cutting out, etc.). I finally realized that there must be an internal loose connection, 'cause I can tap the underside area of the player and eventually get good reception again. Any stereo people out there? Any ideas as to what I would look for, were I to take it out of the dash and pull it apart? Or should I just buy a new unit? If I can salvage it I would like to, as it otherwise performs flawlessly and is a satisfactory unit for me. TIA!
You could pull it out and look since it responds to taps, the part might be loose enough to see. Also after 8 years I would bet there are probably more than a few resistors open. If you get a new one be sure to get an RCA in on it for XM, iPods, etc.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #3 of 30 Old 12-08-2004, 11:50 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
well when you take it apart look for any broken wires or connections on the board. check around where the antenna plugs in. but I say buy something new. they aren't that expensive especially since it seems you'd be fine with a lower model and still get more features than you have now and be happy.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 12-08-2004 at 11:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 12-08-2004, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I figured to just look for something obvious. But it's probably not worth the hassle, as I've certainly realized my money's worth out of this unit. Will probably just buy something new.

I just wanted to post whore anyway. Well, not really...

Here in Oz
post #5 of 30 Old 12-09-2004, 12:08 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via MSN to Cowboy1600

I wouldnt bother baccy....go get urself a new one that plays MP3s and has atleast 2 rcas and ur set. My mate just got himself a pioneer P-4690MP. Its a pearler. You can turn one of the RCAs into an Aux in for ur x-box or iPod etc. Stereo stuff is really cheap these days. I have a DEH-405 in my wardrobe. Its about 6 years old, cost me about $AUD450. The 4690 was $AUD319 (on sale).

I think the DEH-405s were one of the first with pioneers Super Tuner setup. Maybe this is having a fit.

Poking the Devil with a stick then running away
post #6 of 30 Old 12-09-2004, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Good/interesting stuff Cowboy! Thanks!

Here in Oz
post #7 of 30 Old 12-09-2004, 12:16 AM

I have a couple year old Clarion and it wasn't even the highest model and I have 3 sets of RCAs. one is specific for subwoofers (I have a specific subwoofer volume control on mine, its nice) one is for any other out put you want and one is an auxillary in for stuff such as hooking up a dvd car system

post #8 of 30 Old 12-09-2004, 12:28 AM

Yeah, on the 4690 you can run one of the RCAs as a subwoofer controller. Thats how my housemate has it setup. One as signal to the amp and one as controller. It works a treat

post #9 of 30 Old 12-09-2004, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy1600
Yeah, on the 4690 you can run one of the RCAs as a subwoofer controller. Thats how my housemate has it setup. One as signal to the amp and one as controller. It works a treat
does it have a volume control specifically for whatever is run off that RCA. thats the best feature my unit has. There's the Master Volume then Sub Volume. I can turn the subs up without having to adjust the bass setting or rear speakers (if thats the way its wired but there's no RCAs in that kind of set up) like most people do. I'm still pissed that a year ago someone broke into my car and my dads truck (they were unlocked in front of our house) and they broke his radio, the faceplate wouldn't go back on. and they tried to get mine but didn't succeed so they just stole my remote. who the **** steals the remote. now I gotta lean forward and actually touch the radio. total assholes.

post #10 of 30 Old 12-09-2004, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE
does it have a volume control specifically for whatever is run off that RCA. thats the best feature my unit has. There's the Master Volume then Sub Volume. I can turn the subs up without having to adjust the bass setting or rear speakers (if thats the way its wired but there's no RCAs in that kind of set up) like most people do. I'm still pissed that a year ago someone broke into my car and my dads truck (they were unlocked in front of our house) and they broke his radio, the faceplate wouldn't go back on. and they tried to get mine but didn't succeed so they just stole my remote. who the **** steals the remote. now I gotta lean forward and actually touch the radio. total assholes.
Yep.....u run those rcas to a different input on the amp and that controls just 2 channels. Whatever speakers u run off those 2 channels with be altered by the subwoofer controls. It has its own equalizer, volume control, frequency cutout etc.

post #11 of 30 Old 12-09-2004, 8:25 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

Baccy...you can always take it out and BUY A NEW ONE Mr. Cheapo.

You can even go to the "HOME, HOME, HOME OF THE $1 ELECTRICAL FIRE"

I do see where you are coming from though, I had a Alpine that I loved and had for the four years I was in High School and two out of HS. I loved that thing and it started having issues and I had to "retire" it. It was a sad day, but I was happy once I ponied up the moola for a brandy new one.

Dano

Dan

Last edited by ReaperAZ; 12-09-2004 at 8:39 AM.
post #12 of 30 Old 12-09-2004, 8:36 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Just buy a new one
Something like this should be all you need.
post #13 of 30 Old 12-09-2004, 10:18 AM

It's probably the tuner. The antenna is just a coax cable. the center is the mast and the sheild is chassis ground. It should be grounded inside the radio to the chassis of the radio itself. You can do simple continuity tests to make sure the antenna is working properly and the connector (usually Motorola) is O.K.

Now is a good time to buy though. I just got 20% off the Clarion DXZ745MP. They have a lot of inventory and want them gone before the end of year. There are good deals out there now, you can get a higher end model for mid level prices.
post #14 of 30 Old 12-09-2004, 10:23 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Looks like a pretty good unit for the money http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13666
post #15 of 30 Old 12-09-2004, 11:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to Northern RR

Gotta throw in my 2 cents, I have always had Alpine head units, and had nothing but good luck with them. Good features and lots of little things that you will probably never use. I know that I got mine for around 400 Canadian and it plays just about everything that you can throw at it. MP3'S CD'S burned CDs plus it has a plug in for an Alpine 6 disc(not fm modulated, so it sounds better) as well as three pre outs for what ever you want to do with them, sub volume sontrol, time corection, bass focus, built in high and low pass cross overs,auxialiry inputs, lots of good crap. Good customer support and waranty too, like I said though just my $.02

Canada post has came and gone, now they are coming again ...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page