Computer Problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-16-2004, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Computer Problem

I have no clue anymore.

i had the computer running for a couple of days while i was downloading some torrents. i turn the computer off and on, and the start menu and icons don't show up ( WIN XP). I open task mgr, and nothing is taking any cpu power ( just idle). i go to shut the computer down and the explorer.exe is not responding. So i'm assuming that its the culprit. i copy the explorer.exe file from my laptop and put it on a disk to run the file from the task mgr, but it still won't bring up the icons and menu.

I've been browsing a few sites and similiar issues were mentioned including this issue which may be linked to a certain adware that's pretty new which inadvertantly stops the icons and start menu from loading.gh that ad aware and some other programs don't detect it yet

http://geekatwork.net/blog/index.php?p=126

thats the link to the known issue. the problem is that i canot find the files that he states are the problem.

so here's a quick little rundown of the issue.

1. computer loads, but is sloe at the log in screen. Also after the password is entered, the cd and dvd drives open. you have to close them manually.
2. computer loads to the background but no icons, or start menu.
3. task mgr shows no system resource hog.
4. when trying to access the c drive or my computer through file/new task ( run) the program locks up and gives a not repsonding error, which you cannot end ( but the computer doesn't freexe up)
5. the files that the adware inserts into the computer are not present.
6. computer can boot up in safe mode and the icons and start up do show up. but system restore won't work in safe mode( update - i managed to run the system restore, didn't help).

i hope someone has any ideas.
Thanx for any help.

can anyone give me a quick list of popular spyware removal software? I already have ad aware 6.0.

Last edited by MACI4LIFE; 12-16-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-16-2004, 10:06 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13
Re: Computer Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACI4LIFE

can anyone give me a quick list of popular spyware removal software? I already have ad aware 6.0.
Spybot and spydoctor are 2 that I use along with adaware
post #3 of 15 Old 12-16-2004, 10:07 PM

Reputation Power: 24

You can try Spy Sweeper...that has been working well for me with stuff that Spybot S&D doesn't fix. Spy Sweeper is only a trial download unless you pay for the full program
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-16-2004, 10:31 PM

Reputation Power: 29

Mac, you already have Ad-aware 6, you might also add Spybot. Although I find that Ad-aware ALWAYS picks up 25-50% more spyware than Spybot. Another good freebie to add is Zone Alarm, a free firewall. Zone Alarm Pro costs, but the entry level rendition is free, and it catches many baddies for me!

Here in Oz
post #5 of 15 Old 12-16-2004, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
Mac, you already have Ad-aware 6, you might also add Spybot. Although I find that Ad-aware ALWAYS picks up 25-50% more spyware than Spybot. Another good freebie to add is Zone Alarm, a free firewall. Zone Alarm Pro costs, but the entry level rendition is free, and it catches many baddies for me!

i already have the norton internet services installed so thats my firewall.

but i will install all of the programs that everyone mentioned thanx.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-16-2004, 11:03 PM

Reputation Power: 16

and run windows upadate for PETE's sake... it prevents some spyware and virus' from attacking weak spots in the OS. just dont install sp2 for xp, too many people complained that its too restricting; perhaps thats just what you need.

I will never be old and wise if I'm not young and stupid first!
post #7 of 15 Old 12-16-2004, 11:06 PM

Reputation Power: 29

Quote:
i already have the norton internet services installed so thats my firewall.

but i will install all of the programs that everyone mentioned thanx.
The more, the merrier, me thinks!

Here in Oz
post #8 of 15 Old 12-17-2004, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New954RRider
and run windows upadate for PETE's sake... it prevents some spyware and virus' from attacking weak spots in the OS. just dont install sp2 for xp, too many people complained that its too restricting; perhaps thats just what you need.

you may be right. i don't bother updating the os much. and there's no chance i'm gonna install SP2.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-17-2004, 11:14 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by New954RRider

i have been running sp2 and with no problems. i have adjusted it to where i need and no problems

"sorry I'm late, I had to stop by the wax museum and give the finger to FDR again" - Cotton Hill
post #10 of 15 Old 12-17-2004, 11:56 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Found this on http://forums.winforums.org under the heading 'No Desktop Icons or Taskbar at Start Up'

Quote:
The fix is more simple and less drastic. Choose a couple of options. First, under c:\documents and settings, rename your profile or the folder with your login id. For home users this could be something generic if you bought your computer preconfigured. If you can't rename your profile then you'll need to login as someone other than the profile you are trying to rename.

Next less drastic thing to do is go into the registry. This is dangerous though- but go to hkey current user, (if you go to any other key you WILL have to reinstall windows), under hkey current user go to software then microsoft. Delete the microsoft key. Log out, then log back in. Windows will repair itself, except you wont lose all your nifty application installed settings. Just the windows nifty application settings. Better than losing it all from renaming your profile I think.

For braver adventurers. Find the exact registry that is messing up the taskbar under hkcu\software\microsoft and change or delete it. I tried deleting explorer and shell and shell no roam but this didn't fix it. I've also had this similar problem fixed by reinstalling the service pack.

True hard drives could be going bad, but a rogue installer is more likely to blame. Just because a program is packaged in a fancy install program doesn't mean it won't foobar your system. You give it complete control when you click to install.
This is the url to the full thread http://forums.winforums.org/showthread.php?t=2801
post #11 of 15 Old 12-17-2004, 5:50 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via Yahoo to firedawgon929

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
i have been running sp2 and with no problems. i have adjusted it to where i need and no problems
Same here. All my pc's are running sp2 with no problems whatsoever. I think if you have problems with your computer already and then you install sp2, then you've got something to worry about.

No matter how beautiful a woman may be, some man somewhere is sick of her sh!t.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-17-2004, 9:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to matt232

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedawgon929
Same here. All my pc's are running sp2 with no problems whatsoever. I think if you have problems with your computer already and then you install sp2, then you've got something to worry about.
second that...SP2 completed rooted my laptop but I suspect there were issues with the network stack already. Fresh install and everythinks works better than before. From now on I think I'll blow away and dell/compaq install of windows on a new laptop and DIY to make sure its right. Pain the arse trying to get all the programs and settings back the way they were.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-17-2004, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Issue resolved.

Stupid me i hadn't updated the ada aware definition, and i ran it a second time. it resolved the issue. So it seems to have been a spyware/adware issue.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-18-2004, 10:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to firedawgon929

Quote:
Issue resolved.

Stupid me i hadn't updated the ada aware definition, and i ran it a second time. it resolved the issue. So it seems to have been a spyware/adware issue.

No matter how beautiful a woman may be, some man somewhere is sick of her sh!t.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-18-2004, 11:59 AM

Sp2 is good. No need to fear. Been running SP2 on all my machiens at work and at home. All good.

Be fast or be last.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page