I have no clue anymore.
i had the computer running for a couple of days while i was downloading some torrents. i turn the computer off and on, and the start menu and icons don't show up ( WIN XP). I open task mgr, and nothing is taking any cpu power ( just idle). i go to shut the computer down and the explorer.exe is not responding. So i'm assuming that its the culprit. i copy the explorer.exe file from my laptop and put it on a disk to run the file from the task mgr, but it still won't bring up the icons and menu.
I've been browsing a few sites and similiar issues were mentioned including this issue which may be linked to a certain adware that's pretty new which inadvertantly stops the icons and start menu from loading.gh that ad aware and some other programs don't detect it yet
thats the link to the known issue. the problem is that i canot find the files that he states are the problem.
so here's a quick little rundown of the issue.
1. computer loads, but is sloe at the log in screen. Also after the password is entered, the cd and dvd drives open. you have to close them manually.
2. computer loads to the background but no icons, or start menu.
3. task mgr shows no system resource hog.
4. when trying to access the c drive or my computer through file/new task ( run) the program locks up and gives a not repsonding error, which you cannot end ( but the computer doesn't freexe up)
5. the files that the adware inserts into the computer are not present.
6. computer can boot up in safe mode and the icons and start up do show up. but system restore won't work in safe mode( update - i managed to run the system restore, didn't help).
i hope someone has any ideas.
Thanx for any help.
can anyone give me a quick list of popular spyware removal software? I already have ad aware 6.0.