aleve - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 8:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 21

aleve

for those that take aleve this is getting insane. i stay away from drugs but when it is absolutely necessary (nasty headache) i take aleve

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...e/study_halted

"sorry I'm late, I had to stop by the wax museum and give the finger to FDR again" - Cotton Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 9:04 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13
Re: aleve

thats my pain reliever of choice
post #3 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 9:04 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

Yikes, so I guess it's back to Tylenol for me then.

Dano

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 9:04 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Advil.
post #5 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperAZ
Yikes, so I guess it's back to Tylenol for me then.

Dano
I have already started going back to tylenol a little bit but I took aleve for yrs for my knees
post #6 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 9:07 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Wow. I'm with you bubba, I don't ever take medicine. There is no such thing as a drug that cures anything. All of these pills are just quick fixes so that when it wears off you have to go back for more. Pharm companies know that if they cure something the patient won't come back, therefore they won't make as much money
post #7 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 9:27 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Wow. I'm with you bubba, I don't ever take medicine. There is no such thing as a drug that cures anything. All of these pills are just quick fixes so that when it wears off you have to go back for more. Pharm companies know that if they cure something the patient won't come back, therefore they won't make as much money
I don't think that's entirely true. To truly cure something, you'd have to go in and repair the damage to the genes that resulted in the disease. Most all diseases and cancers have in common the same genetic defect for each individual disease. Gene therapy and "fixes" for DNA damage currently aren't available, as far as I know, although they are studying it. So, for now, all we can do is rely on drugs to alleviate symptoms. Anything taken in excess will have side effects. That goes for vitamins, herbs and other "natural" supplements.
post #8 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

These studies are complete crap. There will be a study that completely refutes this one, but won't get the attention.
This pain reliever (exactly that a reliever - not intended to cure a damned thing) has been around for over 30 years, and been OTC for nearly 30. This single study showed that elderly people that take increased doses on a daily basis may have an increased risk of heart attack.
BFD. It won't change my occasional taking of a pain reliever that works exactly as advertised one iota.
How about study those that drink large amounts of Pepsi on a daily basis compared to those that only drink water. Uh oh, better start bitching and banning Pepsi.
That said, even if this single study is 100% true and the pain reliever will cause everyone that takes it (even as advised) to have an increased risk of heart attack, which would you rather have? The chance you may have some form of heart attack somewhere down the road or relief of your joint/arthritic pain?
What about if the study showed that it both helped Alzheimer's conditions? Would you rather your father completely waste away to nothingness, or have him be himself - with the increased risk of maybe having a heart attack at some point?

Trial lawyers are the scum of the earth, and I wouldn't even piss on one if he were on fire. These guys will continune to destroy our health and drug system because of single studies like these - that don't prove anything whatsoever.

EDIT: Oh, and Bextra is next on the witch hunt list. Just watch, they will be saying the same thing about it next week.

Last edited by BDA116; 12-21-2004 at 10:22 AM.
post #9 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 10:24 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via Yahoo to TraumaOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD

I hope you don't actually believe any of that...

byebye
post #10 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 10:26 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

"statistics lie and liars use statistics" this saying came from fact. While statistics can be a wonderful thing they are the easiest thing to distort I know of. Also consider that an official study can provide ammo for lawyers to sue Just be catious of new medicines and statistical studies, while both can be beneficial they can also be mistakes.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #11 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 10:26 AM

Its not a cure its a relief. When my knees start to throb to the point where I have to sit these studies still wont stop me from reaching for some kind of relief.

I dont like medicine and especially the way they fling the **** around like its candy but when you need it its nice to have a little comfort.
post #12 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
I don't think that's entirely true. To truly cure something, you'd have to go in and repair the damage to the genes that resulted in the disease. Most all diseases and cancers have in common the same genetic defect for each individual disease. Gene therapy and "fixes" for DNA damage currently aren't available, as far as I know, although they are studying it. So, for now, all we can do is rely on drugs to alleviate symptoms. Anything taken in excess will have side effects. That goes for vitamins, herbs and other "natural" supplements.

but not "THE HERB" that is good for you

"sorry I'm late, I had to stop by the wax museum and give the finger to FDR again" - Cotton Hill
post #13 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumaOne

I hope you don't actually believe any of that...
I was trying to put it politely, but that's my thought, too.
post #14 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 1:57 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
"statistics lie and liars use statistics" this saying came from fact. While statistics can be a wonderful thing they are the easiest thing to distort I know of. Also consider that an official study can provide ammo for lawyers to sue Just be catious of new medicines and statistical studies, while both can be beneficial they can also be mistakes.

I took a graduate level stats class over the summer...and learned even using good procedure, which these "sensational" studies rarely do, it's unbelievably easy to make the numbers say what you want.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #15 of 47 Old 12-21-2004, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
I took a graduate level stats class over the summer...and learned even using good procedure, which these "sensational" studies rarely do, it's unbelievably easy to make the numbers say what you want.
Yes. There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page