Rat Bikes - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Rat Bikes

What did you guys think of Aaron Frank's last page editorial on rat bikes in Motorcyclist this month? I wanted to agree with him, but found myself recoiling at the thought of riding, not cleaning, at least regarding my general philosophy on bike ownership.

I simply feel that cleaning and polishing is part and parcel to the experience of bike ownership. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I owned, say, a greasy old '99 SV as my commuter scooter, but I'm a one bike guy.

I do my ~5,000 miles per riding season here in the Midwest, -sometimes less, sometimes more- depending on work and family issues.

I guess I'm not a 'real' biker? *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 12:14 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Chain : I guess I'm not a 'real' biker? *
Nope, you're just a monochromatic poser
post #3 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 12:35 PM

biker - someone who's into bikes
rider - someone who's into riding

I'm mostly a rider. To me, meticulous cleaning/maintenance is a distant second to riding. Maybe this is the main reason why it'll be a long time before I'll ever own a cruiser, especially a domestic one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 12:37 PM

I like to ride, but I also like to keep the bike clean. *(Clean it after every ride.)

So, I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.

post #5 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 12:42 PM

I keep my bike very clean because you find things that are falling off or breaking when you clean it, and it's easier to work on.

I think bikes are great to look at too, but I clean my bike for practical reasons, learned the hard way as a kid with dirt bikes...

post #6 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 2:30 PM Thread Starter

A good moto-buddy, an FZ-1 owner who attended the Honda Hoot with me in June, offered this e-mail response to our discussion this way. I liked his reaction to Frank's editorial and thought I'd share with the list.

'Hrmm. It reads more like a justification of the type of bikes he chooses to build and/or afford than a commentary on the state of the sport. I highly doubt Boehm, Cook, Stark et al are right there with him.

It's an interesting editorial, but not much else. A view from another's perspective, but one that is based on nothing more than an extremely weak foundation. The opening paragraph ends '....is proof that a bike is servingit's intended purpose.'

Uhhhhh...how's that exactly? 'Proof'? 'Intended purpose'?

My bike serves its intended purpose quite well, thank you very much. (Mind you that's a purpose defined by me.) And while I'm still making payments, it's going to have people asking 'Is that brand new?' for a long time to come.

Nice try Mr. Frank- but your affinity for stunt riding and dirty motorcycles bores me.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 2:39 PM

I like(d) keeping my bike clean as well but never had a problem riding with last weeks bugs either...
post #8 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 4:36 PM

I haven't read the article yet; but there was an article a while back about couriers in the UK on rat bikes. I don't live or ride in London but from what I read, the weather isn't the best nor is the traffic. They use the bike as a job and ride in all conditions. So I could see how the cleaning might take a back seat. Different kind of riders with different priorities.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 6:29 PM

Reputation Power: 23

I hate it when my bike is dirty.

I just finished cleaning my bike, after a wet track day
I had most the plastics off,
the tank off
the steering damper off
the hugger off
the chain gaurds (x3) off
the tank off
the screen off
the seat off and the wheels off
pulled the air box apart to make sure it was clean in there
even took the chrome htev cover off to make sure ther was no dirt in there.
I cleaned most of the engine parts with petrol and a paintbrush, then degreased it,
cleaned the chain with wd40
then put it all back together and washed it with soap and water, then Mr sheened it all
then lubed all moving parts including the stand with wd40.

I think I have a problem

May be because it was a new bike and I want to keep it that way as long as possible.

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #10 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 7:20 PM

There is nothing wrong with wanting your ride to look as good as it performs. How my bike looks is very important to me. I don't do it to impress other people. I do it because it makes me feel great about my bike when it's all shined up and polished. I even clean the tires with a wet cloth sometimes so that there is not a spec of dirt on the bike. I just take a couple steps back and admire it. It's like a sexy babe that just hopped out of the shower!
post #11 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 7:49 PM

Let's face it gang, it all boils down to this:

Some of us are anal (myself included), and some of us
aren't. I for one cannot fathom taking my bike on the road with yesterday's bug chit all over it.

OK, let the anal joke flaming begin!
post #12 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 8:06 PM

Reputation Power: 19

My bikes lucky if it gets cleaned once a month.....I'd rather just hop on and start riding. But then again I'm lucky to get 100 miles on her in a month.

Oh well, I just like to ride when I get the chance

"Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."
post #13 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 11:34 PM

Let's see, if you have/take 10+ minutes to clean the bike. Well, you just waisted 10+ minutes of riding didn't ya'?

At least in my family, work, hobby world (I'm told I spend to much time with it anyhow). I'd loved to have a sparkling bike every time I mounted up. REALITY, I'm just happy to have time to get on it. Plus, in going to the track for a track day or race you have associated maintenance and gear considerations. All said and done cleaning the bike is out of prep (like cleaning and oiling chain) for the event and not brownie points for sparkle factor.

So kudos to those of you that have time to shine the bike! I just have to be jealous cause I don't know how you get it all done. Maybe a factor for those other folk too. We all don't have the same commitments in life.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-27-2003, 11:47 PM

Quote:
pczach : It's like a sexy babe that just hopped out of the shower!
Excellent visual...

I know understand the err of my ways. In the future, all of my bikes will have that 'fresh from the shower' look to them...
post #15 of 22 Old 07-28-2003, 12:03 AM

Quote:
929flyer : Let's see, if you have/take 10+ minutes to clean the bike. *Well, you just waisted 10+ minutes of riding didn't ya'?

At least in my family, work, hobby world (I'm told I spend to much time with it anyhow). *I'd loved to have a sparkling bike every time I mounted up. *REALITY, I'm just happy to have time to get on it. *Plus, in going to the track for a track day or race you have associated maintenance and gear considerations. *All said and done cleaning the bike is out of prep (like cleaning and oiling chain) for the event and not brownie points for sparkle factor.

So kudos to those of you that have time to shine the bike! *I just have to be jealous cause I don't know how you get it all done. *Maybe a factor for those other folk too. *We all don't have the same commitments in life.
I hear ya 929 - we all have our own agendas. I'm just talking from a street riding viewpoint and w/more time on my hands than you I guess. I'm not talking about taking a toothbrush to the nether regions of the bike, like some people probably do (Chain?). But in reality, how long does it take to remove the 'big chunks', just to make it look nicer? Maybe 10 minutes?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page