I just kicked my own ass..... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot
I just kicked my own ass.....

Just got back from a mile run and it whooped me. My time was 11:45 and I jogged the whole way minus a 1:00 breather where I walked at a brisk pace, then resumed. The last 100 yards or so I sprinted (as best a 335# guy can), and when I got back into the garage to stretch and cool down, I wanted to puke... Now I know for the Police Academy, Ill have to do better/go farther, but right now Im just trying to improve my cardio and stamina. If any of you know of a routine that can help me achieve this please share. This morning I ran down my road and back which is exactly 1 mile, but I also joined Golds Gym a couple of days ago so I can work out to my hearts content. So any of you gym types, please chime in.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 10:47 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: I just kicked my own ass.....

good for you man...

The first cut is always the deepest, so keep it up, it'll get easier!
post #3 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 10:48 AM

Take it easy the first 3-4 weeks. Completion is the goal here not speed. Run every other day the first 10 days, then bump it up to 3 days, a day of rest and resume. Once you start feeling stronger, move up the distance, not the pace. Pace will come with time and effort. Best thing is to train for success, not burn out. Most time people quit cause they can't get it right or don't see any gains/losses. It will take your body approx 4-6 weeks to get in line with the new program. When this happens the weight will start to come off, the fatigue will fade to be replaced by energy. As for the gym, you will get a plethera of answers. Light weight, high reps. Do about 70% max, 12-15 reps. No rest between machines. Do circuit training. Again, every other day until the body adapts. Run, lift, run, lift. 1 day at least of FULL REST, COUCH POTATO (add an e if you are from Indiana).

And here is the key to every weight loss program, FORCE yourself to drink at least a gallon of water everyday. Drink a glass of water about 10 minutes before you eat any meal. If ya ain't pissed every hour and it isn't clear then you ain't drinkin' enough.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave954
Take it easy the first 3-4 weeks. Completion is the goal here not speed. Run every other day the first 10 days, then bump it up to 3 days, a day of rest and resume. Once you start feeling stronger, move up the distance, not the pace. Pace will come with time and effort. Best thing is to train for success, not burn out. Most time people quit cause they can't get it right or don't see any gains/losses. It will take your body approx 4-6 weeks to get in line with the new program. When this happens the weight will start to come off, the fatigue will fade to be replaced by energy. As for the gym, you will get a plethera of answers. Light weight, high reps. Do about 70% max, 12-15 reps. No rest between machines. Do circuit training. Again, every other day until the body adapts. Run, lift, run, lift. 1 day at least of FULL REST, COUCH POTATO (add an e if you are from Indiana).

And here is the key to every weight loss program, FORCE yourself to drink at least a gallon of water everyday. Drink a glass of water about 10 minutes before you eat any meal. If ya ain't pissed every hour and it isn't clear then you ain't drinkin' enough.

Good luck.
post #5 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

All my running in the past has been for time, either a PT test in ROTC or a test for a PD, I havent known anything but steady pace, then sprint for the best time. Thaks for the tips.

As far as water, all I drink is water and crystal light (with that I figure all but a table spoon is water anyway so it cant be bad... )and my first day at the gym they had these 1/2 gallon water jugs with a squirt top on it... Works real well. At work I keep my camelback hanging from the shotgun rack and take hits off of it... I think I have the gallon easy....

Chris
post #6 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Oh, and my goal isnt necessarily to lose weight as I know that will come, but to be able to run 2-3 miles without stopping, even if I am just shuffeling along, and to tone a bit as Im sure pushups will be forthcoming at the academy. I may start the Academy on March 13th if a spot opens up, which will put me right at the 6 weeks mark, and of not then it would be mid May, or July 31 at the latest.

Chris
post #7 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerPilot
Now I know for the Police Academy, Ill have to do better/go farther, but right now Im just trying to improve my cardio and stamina.
Don't forsake strength training for cardio or vice-versa. You can actually burn more calories lifting than running, but that's not my point. As it's already been said, go easy on yourself early on, the first two weeks or so IMO, then gradually beging ramping up the intensity (speed and distance on your runs; poundages and sets on your lift days).

I'm currently lifting and running four on, two off, repeating the cycle on the seventh day.
post #8 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 11:09 AM

Congrats on getting started. That's a pretty solid starting plan from Mojave954. Be really careful to listen to what your body is telling you. Fitness comes much faster when you take it slow vs. pushing it and getting injured. Also remember this is a lifestyle change. Switching from sedentary to athletic will require different things from your diet. Make sure your body gets what it needs by reducing the empty and pollutant carriers you consume. That means lots of real foods and cutting out (most) all the processed mess. Don't bother to suppliment with protien, Americans get plenty from our diet. A goot multi may do you well, however, and keep an eye on your iron.
good luck!
post #9 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

That brings me to my next question... Right now I have changed my diet to eggs for breakfast, grilled chicken for lunch (Gotta love george foreman and frozen chicken), then whatever I can do for dinner that is decent. If Im at work Ill get a salad, sub, or wrap of some kind, then at home, a lean meat and a couple of fresh vegetables. Im not trying to do the adkins thing, just grilled chicken is lean, quick, tasty, and protein. Any other suggestions as far as diet? I have allready cut out the burgers/fries/etc, and told the girls at the local sonic where we eat all the time, not to let me have anything but the above... They'll keep me in line.
Chris
post #10 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
snip...(as best a 335# guy can), ....snip
Chris
DOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!

I have 4 questions:
  • What's your chest size?
  • What's your waist size?
  • Do you have any leathers for sale?
  • If the above is a no, where do you get your leathers cut? (Cause they sure as Hell ain't available off the shelf!!)
post #11 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Niner -

Good on you for starting this.

It would be a really, really, good time to talk to your doctor and get his /her take on what limitations you should observe.

..............a really good time for that..

post #12 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 11:27 AM

quit smoking, quit drinking (except water and OJ), and walk and strech before and after the run. you'll give yourself a heart attack if you dont walk it off.

congrats ... i'm up to 3 miles in 30 min.
post #13 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 11:30 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
That brings me to my next question... Right now I have changed my diet to eggs for breakfast, grilled chicken for lunch (Gotta love george foreman and frozen chicken), then whatever I can do for dinner that is decent. If Im at work Ill get a salad, sub, or wrap of some kind, then at home, a lean meat and a couple of fresh vegetables. Im not trying to do the adkins thing, just grilled chicken is lean, quick, tasty, and protein. Any other suggestions as far as diet? I have allready cut out the burgers/fries/etc, and told the girls at the local sonic where we eat all the time, not to let me have anything but the above... They'll keep me in line.
Chris
Buffalo is 3.99lb at Kroger here and is very low fat, no steriods or hormones either. Might be an alternative burger if you get the crave (turkey burgers suck!)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #14 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 11:36 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Go swimming. Honestly, it's the best cardio you can get and it's not gonna tear up your knees/other joints.
post #15 of 81 Old 01-31-2005, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Newfie:
PM sent

CBR_VFR:
I have an appointment on Tues for my FAA physical/Work Physical/Checkup. Ill be sure to ask him.

Sheep:
My Dad is on a low-fat diet for Blood Pressure and we have been eating quite a bit of Buffalo lately. I also have quite a bit of Deer in the freezer for spagetti, etc. We get together on Friday nights for steaks (cow) which we have lean filets...

New954RRider:
Never smoked, drink so seldomly that I basically dont, and drink water all the time, except for the oj sitting in front of me and Crystal light.

Keep'em rollin!
Chris

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page