Another Gym-related thread - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 1:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Another Gym-related thread

I didnt want to jack Niner's thread but I went to order some supplements and found this article LINK what kind of crap is that????

Steriods work .... I dont get it

So I'm wondering, just eat right and work out and hope your body type can tone up??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 1:22 PM

Re: Another Gym-related thread

Everybody's body will tone up.

Everyone will need a different regimen, and (almost) nobody will look like the guys in the muscle head mags without a steroid of some sort, but that doesn't mean it's hopeless.

post #3 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 1:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Everybody's body will tone up.

Everyone will need a different regimen, and (almost) nobody will look like the guys in the muscle head mags without a steroid of some sort, but that doesn't mean it's hopeless.

My goal is to lose my body fat and just tone up, not get all jacked like the guys in those mags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 1:26 PM

Then just exercise and eat right.

You don't need supplements for that.

Last edited by luvtolean; 01-31-2005 at 1:26 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 1:42 PM

I was miffed when they banned andro. I ordered some online this fall and was impressed with the strength gains they afforded me (probably twice the effect of creatine, at least for me). However, I look at it as a blessing in disguise that they're no longer legal; the long term health effects are uncertain and for all I know I could have been doing damage to my body in taking them.

Something else to consider: supplements like andro tend to give you a pretty massive boost in strength right off the bat. What can happen is, you find yourself pushing significantly more weight than you were just the week before. This is great unless the connective tissue and tiny stablizer muscles aren't developed enough to sustain this sort of workload. Injury can result as it did with me the first time I used creatine and went squat-crazy in '96 or '97. I strained the left SI joint in my pelvis going too heavy in a short amount of time and actually had to go through physical therapy to get healed up. Not fun.

You can excel in the weight room with nothing more than hard work and a solid eating platform (lots of protein, some complex carbs, low sugar/fat). It's just a bit harder to do w/o some of these supplements.

Last edited by Chain; 01-31-2005 at 1:43 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 1:42 PM

Reputation Power: 19

I don't lift for size as much as I do for strength. Although size is a side benefit of lifting heavy. I have found creatine to increase strength to a degree. The pro-hormones work ok but as the article stated they are now illegal. It all boils down to food intake and training pretty much.
BTW - To get the size of the guys in the muscle mags is very difficult w/o juice and genetics.

I came here to chew bubble gum and to kick some ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 1:45 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX954
My goal is to lose my body fat and just tone up, not get all jacked like the guys in those mags

**** that's easy, just buy a dirtbike and ride/race it in MX/SX. I never knew what kind of workout them things gave ya until I got mine. Oh and eat right to I guess.

Dano

Dan
post #8 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 1:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
I was miffed when they banned andro. I ordered some online this fall and was impressed with the strength gains they afforded me (probably twice the effect of creatine, at least for me). However, I look at it as a blessing in disguise that they're no longer legal; the long term health effects are uncertain and for all I know I could have been doing damage to my body in taking them.

Something else to consider: supplements like andro tend to give you a pretty massive boost in strength right off the bat. What can happen is, you find yourself pushing significantly more weight than you were just the week before. This is great unless the connective tissue and tiny stablizer muscles aren't developed enough to sustain this sort of workload. Injury can result as it did with me the first time I used creatine and went squat-crazy in '96 or '97. I strained the left SI joint in my pelvis going too heavy in a short amount of time and actually had to go through physical therapy to get healed up. Not fun.

You can excel in the weight room with nothing more than hard work and a solid eating platform (lots of protein, some complex carbs, low sugar/fat). It's just a bit harder to do w/o some of these supplements.
I only do freeweights to develop stabalizer muscles more and worked my way up from 95lb bench when I first joined the gym to 185lbs when I left, so I dont try to push too much, only something I work up to....and now w/o help from andro
post #9 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 1:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperAZ
**** that's easy, just buy a dirtbike and ride/race it in MX/SX. I never knew what kind of workout them things gave ya until I got mine. Oh and eat right to I guess.

Dano
If I were to buy a dirtbike it wouldnt have knobby tires on it
post #10 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket
I don't lift for size as much as I do for strength.
I used to do more of a "bodybuilding" routine that centered around size rather than strength. These days though, I'm 110% behind you with you on your "train for strength" mantra.

I have cut out almost all islolation excercises (I like to call them "beauty movements") but for a very few (I still do calf raises for instance, but I no longer train biceps or triceps on their own). I concentrate on short workouts, i.e. 45 to 50 minutes, revolving around compound movements that cause you to fire multiple large muscle groups at the same time.

My favorite lift right now is the deadlift. It is a great way to build core strength (or what I'll call "functional strength" for guys like Niner and I, police officers). I also do dumbell lunges, bench press, military press with barbell, stiff legged deads, wide grip chins, dips, and hang cleans.

In terms of muscular size, I'm actually smaller now (I'm currently about 212 pounds) than I was just a few years ago (230 lbs), but I'm more fit overall due to adding cardio to the mix . . . and there is no doubt I'm stronger in dumping the beauty movements in favor of the above described compound excercise regime.

The only thing a guy has to be careful of is getting into poor technique. Keep it strict and you minimize the risk of injury.

FWIW

Last edited by Chain; 01-31-2005 at 2:13 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 2:47 PM

Having competed at National level both on steriods and naturally the difference is about 5%. Alot of the advantages of steriods are mental not physical, its gives you the drive and motorvation to train harder. Supplements are just that, the icing on the cake of a good diet. But get your diet right and supplements become irrelevant. Gaining size is easy just eat more than you burn and you will gain weight, lifting as heavy as you can (strictly) will use that extra food and build muscle. Train heavy but low volume and get at least 8 hours sleep a night.

Doing all this and making sure you push yourself for more weight or reps each week will result in your bike going slower! Lecture over but seriously anyone want any advice just ask.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 3:02 PM
ER

Just so you know, there's no such thing as a workout that will "tone" muscle. You either build it for stamina, strength, or a combination of both. It's the shedding of the fat around the muscle that will give it a more toned look.

Typical high weight/low rep routines will strengthen the muscles and increase their size and density. High rep/low weight routines will tend to maintain a particular frame or even shed some muscle but you may start to gain an overall endurance. Through all of this, your results will vary based on your build and how much you have already been lifting weights. Someone who's spent years bending the bar with heavy squats and bench will most likely notice some muscle-loss when they switch to a high-rep routine (I did). Someone with no prior lifting at all will most likely experience mass-increase with ANY routine since they're forcing their muscles to adapt to physical work and grow.

When people say they want to tone up, what is usually involved is a lot of cardio and/or a calorie-restricted diet along with some sort of resistance training to keep or add some muscle. The single, most important aspect of whatever routine you choose is consistency. Pick one, stick to it, and set plenty of attainable goals.

post #13 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 3:42 PM
ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
I have cut out almost all islolation excercises (I like to call them "beauty movements") but for a very few (I still do calf raises for instance, but I no longer train biceps or triceps on their own). I concentrate on short workouts, i.e. 45 to 50 minutes, revolving around compound movements that cause you to fire multiple large muscle groups at the same time.

My favorite lift right now is the deadlift. It is a great way to build core strength (or what I'll call "functional strength" for guys like Niner and I, police officers). I also do dumbell lunges, bench press, military press with barbell, stiff legged deads, wide grip chins, dips, and hang cleans....
You're right on. The only way to maximize muscle-growth - IMHO - is to include big movements such as squats, dead-lifts, and bench-press. All the machines in the gym can't replace the value of these exercises. Even with the weeny-weight, Jane Fonda routine to which I've been relegated, I still do traditional dead-lifts (albeit only 155lbs).
post #14 of 14 Old 01-31-2005, 4:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER
......Jane Fonda........
Traitor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page