I just realized I'm getting old - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-27-2003, 5:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: I just realized I'm getting old

I rode about 300 mi. yesterday. Had to clear my head about some stuff going on.( a friend and rider commited suicide on thursday night). But anyway, I stopped in a little town to get fuel and water. There was a kid about 10 or 12 on his mountain bike in the parking lot. I caught him looking at me a couple times as I put my gear on. So I start a conversation with him, ( I knew he had alot of question and thought maybe I could point him in the right direction before he learns the hard way.) So we talk about how fast it will go wheelies, stoppies and all the stuff kids see in the movies. I got him convinced to learn more than wheelies when he gets a bike. Then he asks about my coat, so I let him try it on and explain why I wear it and the rest of the stuff. So then I bust into my 'where is your helmet, knee, and elbow pads, 'just like I'm a real grown up or something speech' LOL. I hope I pointed him the right way, but man I feel old. Let's here some more stories about droolin kids and how you tried to help our sport. I could use some good news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-27-2003, 5:09 PM

I tell kids about my split helmets. Twice now helmets have saved me from death, or worse.

post #3 of 10 Old 07-27-2003, 5:11 PM

Reputation Power: 50

I stress helmets whenever I can as well....

EDIT: Sorry to hear about your friend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-27-2003, 5:57 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Sorry about you friend.
Isn't amazing how a good ride can help you sort a lot of things out in you head, or totally forget about lifes problems when you start to push it and have to put all your concentration in to your riding.

Glad to hear you help the kid

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #5 of 10 Old 07-27-2003, 7:36 PM

Never be afraid to try to teach a younger rider something when they are seeking answers from you. It's not that you are getting old, it's that you have gotten wiser from your years of riding, and the mistakes that you made, and the mistakes of other riders that you have witnessed.

When I was a kid, I thought my father was a pretty smart guy. But when he spoke to me about things I thought I knew, and told me why certain things were wrong, or why I shouldn't do certain things, I thought he didn't know what he was talking about. When I was young, I thought I knew everything. The older I get, the more I understand how little I know. My father already knew things I couldn't possibly understand. Luckily, I listened to him about enough things so that I didn't kill myself!

Keep on spreading your wisdom. You never know who might be listening.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-27-2003, 8:07 PM
Jay

Not like you are looking for it, but good job!
Most people really aren't so nice; not only did you help make some good points, but you actually did something a lot of m.cyclists(most people) don't do anymore, just give a stranger the time of day and be polite.

On the note of advice, I certainly tried to 'lead/push' riders in the correct direction when I sold m/c's, and I always try to put in a non-butting 2cents any other time.
Jay
post #7 of 10 Old 07-27-2003, 11:10 PM

Quote:
pczach : Never be afraid to try to teach a younger rider something when they are seeking answers from you. It's not that you are getting old, it's that you have gotten wiser from your years of riding, and the mistakes that you made, and the mistakes of other riders that you have witnessed.

When I was a kid, I thought my father was a pretty smart guy. But when he spoke to me about things I thought I knew, and told me why certain things were wrong, or why I shouldn't do certain things, I thought he didn't know what he was talking about. When I was young, I thought I knew everything. The older I get, the more I understand how little I know. My father already knew things I couldn't possibly understand. Luckily, I listened to him about enough things so that I didn't kill myself!

Keep on spreading your wisdom. You never know who might be listening.
What he said...

That is amazing though. I used to not think to much about what my dad new and what he could do. Now he is in another country and i have no one to ask about fixing stuff in the house. (ie. Plumbing, Waterheaters, Electical.)

Point in case, There are very very few things I know about. Riding though has been with me as long as i can remember. I dont claim to know all, But I have to admit, I am the most annoying preacher of the 'Wear your protective gear speach'. I know that to be right.

Preach on I say!!!
post #8 of 10 Old 07-27-2003, 11:32 PM

Reputation Power: 17

The first thing I tell kids is that if they get a bike, to ride it like they stole it, and worry about the consequences later. Oh, and I also tell them that wheelies are a must because it will defnitely get them laid and earn the respect of all their friends. But on a serious note, when kids ask me about my bike, they usually ask one of two things- 1.) How fast will it go? and 2.) Can you do a wheelie? My replies- 1.) way faster than I need to and 2.) yes, but not in traffic and only on back roads where it's safe (come on, I gotta sound like a badass somehow). I tell them that I always wear my helmet because you're stupid if you don't. I always tell them that if they want a bike, to prove to their parents that they are responsible, and that they should always wear safety gear.
You can't get too technical with a kid who still has a while before they can even think about getting a bike, but telling them the basics of safety gear and riding smart hopefully leaves a lasting impression on them.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '05!
'01 CBR929RR Y/B, '02 Honda XR50 Death Machine
But officer, it's only a 4 cylinder!
post #9 of 10 Old 07-28-2003, 3:21 AM

I'll add a squid one. Before my apts. turned into the halfway/hood house (lots of suspicious people here now), I would work on my bike with the garage open. Most of the time it wasn't mods, cleaning the chain, changing the oil, checking tire pressures, or getting the rain off the bike. A nice looking lady in the same building has a kid, about 4 or 5 yrs old. She had hooked up with some young guy and were moving into a 2 bedroom. Anyway, the soon to be stepdad, or whatever, comes over with the kid and starts complimenting the bike. And asks if the kid can go on a ride with me. The kid's eyes lit right up. I told him that I didn't have a helmet that would fit the kid properly but I'd be happy to take him on a run through the apts. and back. There is a road that runs around 3 apt complexes that no one drives also. So I put the kid in front of me, didn't want him falling off the back and run through the apts at about 10 MPH. I exited the apts and got on the deserted street, all 1/4 mile of it. I kept asking the kid if he was alright and he would just shake his head yes or say something. I said 'wanna go faster?' LOL, he was like YEAH! So I lit it up and we start moving real quick, maybe got it up 60MPH and then backed completely off. I asked again if he was OK, would have scared me like hell when I was his age. He was happy as I wheeled him back, the ride was all of about 1-2 minutes and that was it. Didn't want to get on a street with any traffic whatsoever. The kid didn't say much but you know the saying a picture is a 1000 words. That kid had stoked written all over his face.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-28-2003, 6:57 PM

Cool story Booth.

I remember my dad used to get going real fast then duck so all the wind drilled me into the sissy bar. (My dad rode a BSA chopper)

He thought he was screwing with me scaring me, but he was just adding fuel to the fire.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page