05 Acura TL - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 2:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

05 Acura TL

Anybody have any experience with the new 04 and newer Acura TLs. The GF is very interseted. The only downfall I can find is the FWD, but it is her car and a hell of a car for $32K, Hauls pretty good for a 270HP Luxo-cruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 2:21 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: 05 Acura TL

I looked into one pretty extensively about a year ago and found nothing that would throw up red flags. It's an Acura
post #3 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 2:29 PM

I almost bought one 2 weeks ago.

The torque steer on the 6spd is hellacious. Any wet conditions and as the tach swings through the 4k region it'll take the wheel out of your hand... I understand that the 5spd auto without the LSD doesn't torque steer nearly as bad

Yeah, only thing I don't like too is the FWD. Fastest acura next to the NSX...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 2:34 PM

I really like the car, I hope they move the all-wheel drive system from the RL to the TL and TSX soon.

Presently I have an 1999 EL, I believe they do not sell it in the US but it is basically a CIVIC with some extras. Unfortunately is has ony the SOHC, I would love to put a Civic Typr R or SIR motor in it but they are hard to come by.

I do not think she can go wrong with the TL

Cheers
Purp
post #5 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 3:12 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

The Sentra I currently drive is a FWD car and is the first I have ever owned. I can say with certainty that I do not like torque steer. It's one thing when all four wheels are giving you the drive and the front pulls a bit but I think I'm gona try and stay away from FWD cars from now on. The TL is a nice car for sure. I just wish it was AWD or RWD. On that note have you looked at the Lexus IS 300, it's RWD and is in the same price range as the TL . I have just added that to my list of choices when I get a new car soon.

Dano

Dan

Last edited by ReaperAZ; 01-31-2005 at 3:13 PM.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 3:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwilli3
I almost bought one 2 weeks ago.

The torque steer on the 6spd is hellacious. Any wet conditions and as the tach swings through the 4k region it'll take the wheel out of your hand... I understand that the 5spd auto without the LSD doesn't torque steer nearly as bad

Yeah, only thing I don't like too is the FWD. Fastest acura next to the NSX...
During moderate/agressive driving with the sales weenie in it, I didnt notice any real torque steer issues, on the automatic. Having said that I bet if I was alone and/or it was wet, I could definitely find them, but it IS the GFs car so I am sure that she will be fine---prolly best as there will be NO motivation for me to want to "borrow it" for a track day

Its too bad that Acura cant/wont put a RWD system in it, as it would truly be an awesome alternative to the Bimmers/Mercs that cost twice as much, but have newly found hideous reliability issues, mainly in the electronics. I'm kind of a Mercedes dude(used of course), but whenst I read the consumer reports I was a bit taken back by the really abismal reliabilty issues
post #7 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 3:31 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I have an 02 IS 300 if you want any info on it. I love it and like the 929 it is quality that does not quit have the numbers of some of the other makes which makes it an underdog in the eyes of the general public.

There are some who call me ............................Tim
post #8 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 3:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Take a look at the G35 Sedan. It is a touch more expensive, but you can choose RWD or AWD.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 5:28 PM

i work for an acura and lexus dealer...i would go for the tl hands down over the is300...for starters more hp. The biggest complaint we get on the lexus is the poor handling in snow and ice. It may not be an issue where you live but here in winter they get stuck in our lot...no kidding...the only week link on the acura is the auto transmission...so far we have not seen any problems in the 04s but the previous models and on the early mdxs we have replaced alot and we are not that big of a market. The voice controls on the navi tls is really cool and the blue tooth technology for the phone is a plus also.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 5:49 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozthis
i work for an acura and lexus dealer...i would go for the tl hands down over the is300...for starters more hp. The biggest complaint we get on the lexus is the poor handling in snow and ice. It may not be an issue where you live but here in winter they get stuck in our lot...no kidding...the only week link on the acura is the auto transmission...so far we have not seen any problems in the 04s but the previous models and on the early mdxs we have replaced alot and we are not that big of a market. The voice controls on the navi tls is really cool and the blue tooth technology for the phone is a plus also.

True. My IS is a sled in the winter and even a dusting will have it sliding all over the place with summer tires. With the Blizzaks it is a much better winter ride. RWD is great and worth the winter issues. How the hell did cars pre-FWD handle in the winter. People are just getting lazy and don't want to have to think behind the wheel so FWD is their choice. These are the same people who don't see a reason for a manual tranny.

There are some who call me ............................Tim
post #11 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 6:15 PM

mmmm...TL...nice car, just wondering how much the RL is down there? 300 hp and AWD that would be enough to make me happy. what about a TSX? they are nice too. Just a couple of my favourites, dont know how much they are in the states though
post #12 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 6:30 PM

I test drove a TL with the six speed and the torque steer was bad. This car was going to be my wifes car and she is not into the performance side of the car. We bought a BMW 525i instead. I would have went for the 545i but again my wife was not concerned about performance just ride quality and the car had to have a manual transmission. We test drove many cars and I have to admit none of the cars that we test drove can compare to the BMW for comfort and handling. We drove the Mercedes E320, E500, Lexus GS 300, 430, Infiniti G35, M45(my favorite). You have to test drive one to understand. We owned 4 Maximas that were the SE models with a manual transmission. All were great cars and I kept the last one instead of trading it in. If you can live with the torque steer and that is only under hard acceleration I would go with the TL. Another car would be the G35, it is smaller but drives very nice and is RWD. The sound system sounds awsome in the TL. I just test drove the new RL and it was ok. Acura dependability is top notch. I am driving a 92 Acura Integra with 132,000 and it runs great. One other thing is you get alot of car for your money in the TL.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 6:33 PM

Reputation Power: 20

From a looks perspective, I'd take the TL over the IS300. It is beginning to look very dated. I wanted an IS300 when they first came out, but there are better cars out there now.

Be fast or be last.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 8:49 PM

Reputation Power: 19

It is a Honda after all .......................

Insignificant Member
post #15 of 18 Old 01-31-2005, 10:43 PM

My wife has a 2003 3.2 CL and its an awesome car. Shes looking at a new TL to replace hers in a year. Its on a lease. All I can say is that its a lot of car for the money.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page