Confessions of a Madden enthusiast - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-02-2005, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-10-2004
Posts: 3,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
           
Confessions of a Madden enthusiast

Alright. I have been a hardcore Madden guy for many years.

Madden 2002 was a great game, but the 2003 edition definitely had some problems. So I tried Sega's NFL 2K3 to alleviate the pain. No dice. It sucked. I mean it REALLY sucked!

Madden 2004 turned out to be one of the best football video games ever made.

So by some weird chance I played ESPN NFL 2K5 just for shits and giggles this year(since it came out prior to the Madden release).

It is THE greatest football sim to date! The graphics are superior, the sound is superior, the gameplay is superior. Yes, I have some minor gripes about it. But compared to Madden, it is by far the superior football sim this year.

So, has anyone else played this game? If so, what are your thoughts?
Mo Noyz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 02-02-2005, 12:57 PM
 
Join Date: 03-10-2004
Posts: 2,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
     
Re: Confessions of a Madden enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Noyz
Alright. I have been a hardcore Madden guy for many years.

Madden 2002 was a great game, but the 2003 edition definitely had some problems. So I tried Sega's NFL 2K3 to alleviate the pain. No dice. It sucked. I mean it REALLY sucked!

Madden 2004 turned out to be one of the best football video games ever made.

So by some weird chance I played ESPN NFL 2K5 just for shits and giggles this year(since it came out prior to the Madden release).

It is THE greatest football sim to date! The graphics are superior, the sound is superior, the gameplay is superior. Yes, I have some minor gripes about it. But compared to Madden, it is by far the superior football sim this year.

So, has anyone else played this game? If so, what are your thoughts?
I myself am a hardcore Madden fan, I have been playing since Madden 64 and own all of the games since. But just so you know next year EA has exclusive rights to the NFL trade, teams, players the whole basket. So I've heard anyways
MrX954 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 02-02-2005, 3:01 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-10-2004
Posts: 3,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
           
Re: Confessions of a Madden enthusiast

Yep. You are correct.

Like Budweiser, if you can't make a superior product, destroy your competition by simply taking their market away.

But the question still remains. Have you played 2K5? Makes Madden seem like some half baked cartoon. Especially the 2005 version. Unless you actually believe that most corners have the body of a 300lb O-lineman.

And total control tackling in 2K5 vs. the hit-and-mostly-miss stick in Madden is night and day. You hardly EVER miss a tackle you've properly set up for in 2K5. And the interceptions are much more well done. None of that stupid "bullet time" crap.

The handling in general is MUCH more intuitive and user friendly.
Mo Noyz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 02-04-2005, 1:55 PM
 
Join Date: 03-10-2004
Posts: 2,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
     
Re: Confessions of a Madden enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Noyz
Yep. You are correct.

Like Budweiser, if you can't make a superior product, destroy your competition by simply taking their market away.

But the question still remains. Have you played 2K5? Makes Madden seem like some half baked cartoon. Especially the 2005 version. Unless you actually believe that most corners have the body of a 300lb O-lineman.

And total control tackling in 2K5 vs. the hit-and-mostly-miss stick in Madden is night and day. You hardly EVER miss a tackle you've properly set up for in 2K5. And the interceptions are much more well done. None of that stupid "bullet time" crap.

The handling in general is MUCH more intuitive and user friendly.
My bro said that game was good too, I may have to swipe it from him and try it, I'm pretty brand loyal so it takes alot to get me to switch.
MrX954 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 02-04-2005, 2:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-10-2004
Posts: 3,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
           
Re: Confessions of a Madden enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX954
My bro said that game was good too, I may have to swipe it from him and try it, I'm pretty brand loyal so it takes alot to get me to switch.
Hardest part about it is the fact that certain buttons are different. It's a real bitch at first because you'll be slamming that O button to speed up your defender, but that is the button to change defenders on this game. **** like that can be irritating, but it only took me a couple of days to mentally switch over to the right buttons.

But yeah brother, this game rocks! I have learned to LOVE playing D all over again!!!! It's really nice feeling like you're actually controlling your player.
Mo Noyz is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 02-04-2005, 3:04 PM
 
Join Date: 07-27-2001
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
   
Re: Confessions of a Madden enthusiast

ESPN NFL 2K5 is a great game. I bought it because I was too cheap to pay $50 for Madden when it came out (it was only $20!!!). I figured it would tide me over for a few months until Maddens price came down, but I like it so much that I have no plans to buy the new Madden. I've noticed it has a few less features in Franchise mode (you can't create a player and something else I can't remember right now), but for the price difference I won't nitpick. I admit I haven't even played madden 05 yet, but I like the graphics on 2K5 better than the last few Maddens.
Serial Thriller is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 02-04-2005, 3:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-10-2004
Posts: 3,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
           
Re: Confessions of a Madden enthusiast

Quote:
you can't create a player

Sure you can. What makes you think otherwise?


Quote:
I admit I haven't even played madden 05 yet, but I like the graphics on 2K5 better than the last few Maddens.

Agreed. They are far superior. My favorite is when clouds are moving over the stadium and they create shadows on the field. And the way the field gets covered more and more with snow during a snowy game.



The sound is much better as well. The crowd actually reacts according to how their team is doing. Something Madden ALWAYS screwed up.

Last edited by Mo Noyz; 02-04-2005 at 3:19 PM.
Mo Noyz is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 9:18 AM
DUX
 
DUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-07-2004
Location: DE, USA
Age: 48
Posts: 2,041
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 21
       
Re: Confessions of a Madden enthusiast

I have been a fan of NFL 2K since the days of Dreamcast. I rented Madden 2005 and was amazed at how poor the audio was. The repetition was inexcusable.

I put my NFL 2K back in and had a lot more fun.

Most of the reviews say that Madden may be the most realistic sim ever made, but NFL 2K is the most fun football game ever made.

It sucks that EA got the rights to the NFL. They tend to really cut corners and put out inferior products when they have a monopoly.

I bought ESPN Hockey 2005 yesterday. If you're a hockey fan, you NEED to own it. $19.99 brand-new
DUX is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 02-07-2005, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-10-2004
Posts: 3,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
           
Re: Confessions of a Madden enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX
Most of the reviews say that Madden may be the most realistic sim ever made, but NFL 2K is the most fun football game ever made.


Yeah, and having played 2K5 I fully disagree with this. After playing 2K5, Madden seems more like a cartoon version of football. More arcadey. So my opinion is exactly opposite.
Mo Noyz is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 02-09-2005, 11:26 AM
 
Join Date: 07-27-2001
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
   
Re: Confessions of a Madden enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Noyz
Sure you can. What makes you think otherwise?
OK, apparently I just don't know how. I bet it's in the instruction manual somewhere isn't it...
Serial Thriller is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 02-09-2005, 2:21 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 02-10-2004
Posts: 3,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
           
Re: Confessions of a Madden enthusiast

It's real simple, brother.

Create a player. Then save your updated rosters to the memory card. Then, when you start a new franchise mode, go to "contracts" and switch to free agents and sign away.
Mo Noyz is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Madden 2005 MrX954 Off-Topic 6 12-22-2004 12:23 PM
Who has Madden 2005 for Xbox live...... iamfastrr Off-Topic 2 08-18-2004 9:20 AM
Get your Madden 2005 Sickday/excues forms..... 929_Nupe Off-Topic 9 08-11-2004 1:46 AM
Madden 2004 jdev Off-Topic 4 08-12-2003 2:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome