Tsunami Relief - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Tsunami Relief

My 'cuz just sent me this e-mail, and he said it was all public record so I could share it and the pics. Pretty cool.

Well, we finally had some downtime tonight, so I thought I would send everyone an e-mail.

We arrived off of the coast of Banda Aceh, Indosesia this morning. We came alongside the USS Abraham Lincoln, which will be my ride home in about a month. I have attached some the pictures. We have had non-stop helicopter landings today, bringing aboard VIPs, including the US Ambassador to Indonesia. We are taking over for the Lincoln, since we are better equipped to help get the public health services inside Indonesia up and running again. There are some other ships around, such as the USS Essex, which have helicopters to use to move things back and forth.

When we were in Singapore we embarked about 200 more people, including just under 100 volunteers from Project HOPE, a non-profit that has health care professionals on call for duty like this. It is pretty funny to see all of these nurses [many of which remind me of Aunt (LTL's Mom)] walking around. Itís quite obvious they have never been on a Navy ship before, they are wandering around lost, some even brought high heel shoes (!) on board. Itís given the Navy crew something to chuckle about.

The ship is holding up well, they finally got the shipís ballast stabilization system online, which is a complex system of computer controlled tanks and high speed pumps that keep the ship rock steady by moving ballast water around. The end result is instead of the 25 degree rolls and puke-inducing pitching from the ride out here has been reduced to a nice steady thrumming from the engine room.

We start Heath Care Operations tomorrow, which means we will be accepting patients, sending personnel ashore, supplying the area with Liquid Oxygen and Nitrogen from our Cryo plants, supplies from our vast storerooms, and services such as medical equipment repair. I may be going ashore with one of the medical teams as their communications guy.

We can see the coastline from the ship when we get close, and you can see the complete devastation of the area. I am not kidding when I say there is nothing left of the towns that used to be here. You can see tents that have been erected, and there seems to be construction of some new buildings, but mostly wasteland.

Anyway, it is time for me to go to bedÖ itís getting late and we have been pulling 18-20 hour days since we left Singapore to get all of the IT equipment re-configured for our mission.

Talk to you all later! Take a look at the picturesÖ they are pretty cool.

Attached Thumbnails
web_050203-N-0499M-020.jpg‎   web_050203-N-6020P-181.jpg‎   r1214785563.jpg‎  

Last edited by luvtolean; 02-03-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 12:07 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Tsunami Relief

Tell him thanks.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Heh, dude he's loving this little cruise. Like I said in another thread, he's retired navy and working for a defense contractor. So he's well paid for this and he might get a cat shot off the USS Abe to come home. He does not fall under Navy regs so it's real relaxed for him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 12:12 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Heh, dude he's loving this little cruise. Like I said in another thread, he's retired navy and working for a defense contractor. So he's well paid for this and he might get a cat shot off the USS Abe to come home. He does not fall under Navy regs so it's real relaxed for him.
In that case, tell him he's a bastard
post #5 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Oh I have. Many times.

The prick didn't goto college and he's paid more than I am, and now may get to live out my dream of getting shot off a carrier.

Hell, I can call him direct at his desk on the ship and shoot the **** with him. Try that in the Navy.

Last edited by luvtolean; 02-03-2005 at 12:14 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 2:20 PM

Great photos, L2L, and thanks for the update. It's good to see more support arriving for those worst affected.

SO and I are off to Sri Lanka next week. We decided to go ahead with our holiday but chickened out of going to the hard-hit coastal areas. Happy to support with our tourist dollars (pounds) but we were somewhat wary of the health issues and lack of UK Foreign Office / Insurance Company cover for the coastal areas.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-03-2005, 2:27 PM

Thanks for sharing, LTL; awesome stuff!
post #8 of 14 Old 02-04-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Oh I have. Many times.

The prick didn't goto college and he's paid more than I am, and now may get to live out my dream of getting shot off a carrier.

Hell, I can call him direct at his desk on the ship and shoot the **** with him. Try that in the Navy.

Don't Hate....
post #9 of 14 Old 02-04-2005, 11:25 AM

whats the carrier for?
post #10 of 14 Old 02-04-2005, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
whats the carrier for?
To carry Marines.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-04-2005, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqSoft
To carry Marines.
Quote:
There are some other ships around, such as the USS Essex, which have helicopters to use to move things back and forth.
yep, I skimmed over that
post #12 of 14 Old 02-04-2005, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Don't Hate....

Mornin' 'cuz!

If anyone has questions, navydevildoc is the man behind the e-mail. In his defense, while I was in college, he was in boot and he did get shot at as a corpsman with the Marines.

Oh yeah, and he rides a 'Priller. My evil influence.

Last edited by luvtolean; 02-04-2005 at 12:50 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-04-2005, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
In that case, tell him he's a bastard

I guess you can say that now that you are United States Citizen now
post #14 of 14 Old 02-04-2005, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
yep, I skimmed over that
Yeah, the TAH-19 Mercy class of hospital ships don't have room on the flight deck for 2 helos at once, so we can't have our own embarked air crew and still land patients. That was supposed to get fixed on MERCY (we are the lead ship in the class) this year when she heads to the yards in San Francisco. The flight deck will be extended aft to accomodate 2 helos landing and launching at once.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page