More on the "No deer-hunting" effects in STL County - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 02-04-2005, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
ER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

More on the "No deer-hunting" effects in STL County

STLToday article

I posted about this last year. Basically, STL County has a no firearms discharge law and it generally frowns on hunting in general. As a result, deer population is sky-rocketing. They've tried everything from relocation to birth-control to try and acheive a proper balance in population with no success. What they HAVE done, though, is waste thousands and thousands of their tax-payers' money (including my parents, who live in that area) while subjecting deer to disease and starvation when their relocation plans failed.

Well, now they're finally considering allowing bow-hunters to come in and harvest deer in Queeny Park, which is a pretty good sized, mostly-wooded park. Of interest from the article linked in above...

...Alternatives under consideration by the task force included non-lethal methods such as use of fences, repellants and roadside warning signs, as well as lethal methods such as hunting, sharpshooting and trapping and euthanasia...

...Erin Shank, urban wildlife biologist with the state conservation department, told the crowd recent surveys suggest the West County herd far exceeds the 15 to 20 deer per square mile recommended by the state.

Recent population surveys conducted in St. Louis County by the conservation department and private contractors found 40 to 86 deer per square mile, she said...

...James Ambrozetes of Town and Country said in response to complaints about deer-car collisions, "Speed limits should be enforced because most collisions are on roads .. where people are speeding and killing deer.

"Deer eat some landscaping, but they aren't ruining my yard. I wish I had more deer," he said....

I don't have much of an interest in the situation anymore as I live out in the sticks (where the farmer who backs up to my property picks of coyotes in the middle of the night when he needs to), but I still like to follow the story to see what happens when people who have encroached on the territory of the deer with which they're having a problem refuse to address the situation of natural predation and allow hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page