Laptops? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2005, 6:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Laptops?

I know there are a bunch of people here in the computer biz so I figured I would ask for some advice.

I am in the market for a new laptop computer. I get a business partner discount with Dell, so I will probably buy from them. My question is what is so special about the Pentium M processor that it is more expensive than faster P4s and Celerons?

Also if anyone recommends any other laptops other than Dell let me know. I built my current computer but that was 6-7 years ago and I havent stayed in the loop at all. As long as they can run Warcraft3 and Diablo2 I am fine. Oh yeah, I only have a $1000 budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-06-2005, 6:37 PM

Re: Laptops?

Very disappointed with my last Dell notebook (about 1 1/2 years ago). Could not be happier with my current Acer Travelmate 8000. The thing absolutely RIPS!
post #3 of 5 Old 02-06-2005, 8:10 PM

I have used a lot of laptops, over many jobs... if you want a PC laptop (not an Apple PowerBook ) then your best bet is probably an IBM ThinkPad. You will pay a little more, but the quality is outstanding, and I have yet to have one crap out on me for any reason.

Regarding the Pentium M... the "M" stands for mobile. It's in a different physical package, which makes it smaller for a laptop, plus it includes power and thermal enchancements. For example, if you are just running Word or some other non CPU intensive program, the CPU can lower its speed and operating voltage, which lowers the load on the battery, plus reduce thermal output. The standard Pentium 4 processors do not have this.

That's the main difference. There are other smaller architectual changes, but the sliding speed/voltage and the package are the main ones.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-06-2005, 8:14 PM

Reputation Power: 16

post #5 of 5 Old 02-06-2005, 9:09 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgler
I am in the market for a new laptop computer. I get a business partner discount with Dell, so I will probably buy from them. My question is what is so special about the Pentium M processor that it is more expensive than faster P4s and Celerons?
I just asked the same question to a buddy who works w/ laptops all the time. According to him a pentium M 1.7 == P4 3.0 GHz Mobile in terms of speed. Pentium Ms are also better on batteries. That's why they cost more.

Stay away from Celeron, they seriously are slower, and it's not worth the price saving (IMO).

Be fast or be last.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page