snowboarding rocks!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-06-2005, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

snowboarding rocks!!

i just got back from a weekend trip of snowboarding. my body hurts but i had a hell of a good time. i've only been home for two hours and i already have a bid on a board!! i used my buddies board and from what i was told his bindings were pretty old. been browsing the web and it looks like the burton cruzer seems to be the best board for beginners, any thoughts?

when i first got my bike, you fella's were awsome with gear info... got any tips for snowboard riding and gear??

Last edited by New954RRider; 02-06-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-06-2005, 10:06 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: snowboarding rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New954RRider
i just got back from a weekend trip of snowboarding. my body hurts but i had a hell of a good time. i've only been home for two hours and i already have a bid on a board!! i used my buddies board and from what i was told his bindings were pretty old. been browsing the web and it looks like the burton cruzer seems to be the best board for beginners, any thoughts?

when i first got my bike, you fella's were awsome with gear info... got any tips for snowboard riding and gear??
If you were an old fart I would recommend Flow binding for the bending impaired Other than that I suck and am better on skis (still suck on them to though)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #3 of 20 Old 02-06-2005, 10:10 PM

You're right - snowboarding is awesome. I just wish the snow in our area this year wasn't so crappy.

As far as gear, you want to find an all-mountain board that isn't too long. As a beginner you probably won't notice too much difference between boards. With bindings you can go with the clickers or conventional straps (which I prefer). If your feet are really large (like mine) you'll want a wider board so your toes don't drag in the snow when you turn toe-side.

Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-06-2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhip
You're right - snowboarding is awesome. I just wish the snow in our area this year wasn't so crappy.

As far as gear, you want to find an all-mountain board that isn't too long. As a beginner you probably won't notice too much difference between boards. With bindings you can go with the clickers or conventional straps (which I prefer). If your feet are really large (like mine) you'll want a wider board so your toes don't drag in the snow when you turn toe-side.

Have fun!
Most boarders I know dislike the support of a step in bindings (or the harder boots needed) That is one thing I like so far on the flows , although I have not had much use so far

Must obey the sheep dog

Last edited by sheepofblue; 02-06-2005 at 10:18 PM. Reason: add link
post #5 of 20 Old 02-06-2005, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

yeah, didnt see much support with the step in bindings, thought the staps were best.

not sure what i should do, a female friend of mine offered me her old board but i'm afraid it might be too fruity looking (hence the bid). another female offered me her brand new burton strap bindings cuz she wants the step in's. maybe i'll just use them until i can get the cash for the right gear.

supposedly i have a regular stance, but can anyone explain why i kept feeling the urge to switch to goofy?

Last edited by New954RRider; 02-06-2005 at 10:30 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

I've always owned Burton equipment (board, bindings, and boots). I'm into carving (alpine) so my preference in equipment is different than the mainstream boarders who prefer freestyle, all-mountain, or park riding. Regardless of what you choose, snowboarding is a blast!

edit: To determine what stance you are, try running across your kitchen floor (or other smooth surface) in your socks and see which foot you naturally put forward as you slide. If you skateboard or water ski you should use the same foot. DON'T listen to others telling you what stance you SHOULD be. Go with whatever feels natural...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Last edited by Red Rider; 02-06-2005 at 11:32 PM.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-06-2005, 11:41 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider
I've always owned Burton equipment (board, bindings, and boots). I'm into carving (alpine) so my preference in equipment is different than the mainstream boarders who prefer freestyle, all-mountain, or park riding. Regardless of what you choose, snowboarding is a blast!

edit: To determine what stance you are, try running across your kitchen floor (or other smooth surface) in your socks and see which foot you naturally put forward as you slide. If you skateboard or water ski you should use the same foot. DON'T listen to others telling you what stance you SHOULD be. Go with whatever feels natural...
Yup, same here. I still have my early 90s Burton M5. High back strap bindings with 2 straps, and soft boots. Alpine riding for me, too, since I'm also a skier, but was never a skateboarder!

Hee, as I was waiting to reply to this, I was going to give the exact same advice about sliding on a smooth floor in your socks! Great minds think alike!
I'm a righty and have a regular stance, but I questioned it when first learning, too, and experimented with a goofy stance. Boarding more often and doing the "slide on the floor in your socks" trick proved that I'm definitely regular stance.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-06-2005, 11:50 PM

I thought it was based on your nature, so of course I didn't go goofy foot...

Must obey the sheep dog
post #9 of 20 Old 02-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
I thought it was based on your nature, so of course I didn't go goofy foot...
Hey, if the shoe fits...

Last edited by Red Rider; 02-06-2005 at 11:53 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-06-2005, 11:54 PM

Haven't snowboarded, but know I would love it, as I really enjoyed skiing in the past! I just did the kitchen floor/slide thing. First run was right foot forward, second was left foot forward. Both felt comfortable/the same. ?
post #11 of 20 Old 02-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
Haven't snowboarded, but know I would love it, as I really enjoyed skiing in the past! I just did the kitchen floor/slide thing. First run was right foot forward, second was left foot forward. Both felt comfortable/the same. ?
You haven't had enough wine yet. A few more glasses and you'll figure it out!

post #12 of 20 Old 02-07-2005, 12:05 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
Are you a right handed or left handed? In general, right handers ride "regular stance" which is left foot forward. Left handers ride "goofy foot", which is right foot forward. There's probably some folks who are exceptions. Like sheep, who have 4 feet.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-07-2005, 12:31 AM

Far as I know, I am right handed HG...

post #14 of 20 Old 02-07-2005, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider
You haven't had enough wine yet. A few more glasses and you'll figure it out!
YOU!

Or, better yet, join me for a glass!
post #15 of 20 Old 02-07-2005, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
Are you a right handed or left handed? In general, right handers ride "regular stance" which is left foot forward. Left handers ride "goofy foot", which is right foot forward. There's probably some folks who are exceptions. Like sheep, who have 4 feet.
Right handed goofy-footer here. But hey, I like Ducatis, too. A little different I guess.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page