LCD screens/Onsite printing question. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 4:02 PM Thread Starter
Fig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

LCD screens/Onsite printing question.

Anyone have a good lead on some decent priced ($200) 15" lcd screens? I am going to need about 6 of them. I am working on my new concession trailer, a 24' Pace Midway for my picture sales out at the racetrack. I have a couple of Dual VGA cards and will drive slideshows with a couple of computers. I am also looking for some kind of protective cover, like an anti-glare screen.

Taz, I think you are printing onsite, what software might you be using? How about you NH? You printing onsite now?
Fig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 4:04 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: LCD screens/Onsite printing question.

www.newegg.com is the place to look
post #3 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 4:10 PM Thread Starter
Fig

Thanks ND. I have been looking there, but was hoping for variety. Anyone bought an LCD sight unseen? How about shipping and dead pixels? Problems? Just trying to be cautious before I drop around 2k for the screens for the trailer, and 2 for my home pc's.
Fig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 4:18 PM

Reputation Power: 50

LG has a great warranty, if that's a big concern. I forget the exact number, but I think it's under 10 pixels for a free replacement. Typical 3 year warranty.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 4:21 PM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

Here's a 17" alternative for just $249:
Princeton 17" LCD at Costco.com

I have four ten-month-old Envision 15" LCD's that I wouldn't mind upgrading to 17"s. Would you like to buy them? I paid $309, and would take $190 each. No blown pixels on any. I have neither the original boxes, nor the stands (you'd have to use VESA mounts). See, if you hard-mount the monitors, the cheesy plastic stands don't take the abuse generated during transit - you NEED VESA arm/wall/desk/ceiling mounts.

I just bought some Luxor ceiling mounts; I'll be installing them in the next couple weeks (my trailer is currently empty; I did this before putting it in storage for the winter).

Regarding SW and all; I'll post again in a bit; have something pressing to attend to...or send specific questions to me: tazorich (at) hotmail.com

BTW - my photo biz website is HERE

Last edited by TAZ; 02-09-2005 at 4:23 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 5:00 PM
TAZ

Fig, you have a Pace 24' trailer, eh? I assume (since it's a Midway) that you have concession windows? Mind sharing what that puppy cost? I fear I spent too much for mine (Pace Midway 8x16; 7' interior height; two 7' concession windows; pre-wired electric; roof vents; upgraded side door; conventional rear barn doors: $8K)...

Here's a synopsis of the setup I ran with last year:

"Server": Standard Intel MB with 2.8 GHz HT P4; 1GB RAM. Server has a Promise SATA RAID controller running three 80GB SATA drives in a RAID 0 array (no redundancy) - I just wanted maximum speed. We used a 17" Envision LCD monitor at 1280x1024 resolution for this machine.

Viewing stations: I had four; these are Shutle XPC's, with whatever the lowest spec stuff I could get at the time happened to be. (I think they're AMD 2400's or something, 256mb RAM). Obviously, the viewing stations only need to run your image viewing software.

Viewing station monitors: four of the aforementioned Envision 15" LCD monitors running 1024x768 res.

Sorting and Printing workstations: I have two of them, also Shuttle XPC's, but these are beefier machines: 2.4 GHz HT P4's; 1GB RAM; fast CD burners. Each has a 17" Sony LCD at 1280x1024 resolution.

Printers: three Olympus P440 "dye-sub" (although they're really "thermal transfer") printers. I ran one off each printing workstation, with the third on hand as a backup, and often connected to the server in case we were really busy (so we could have a third printing workstation).

We networked everything through a 16 port network switch and used DHCP addressing from a Netgear wireless router. I could have hardcoded the IP's, but the Netgear comes in handy for other reasons (WiFi).

Finally, we powered all this stuff (plus lights, fans, batter chargers and cash register) using a Yamaha EF2800i (2500 watts continuous) inverter/generator. It seems as if all that gear should draw more power, but we never had an issue. To be safe, we never boot all the equipment at once, but do it sequentially, as I think that's when the most draw occurs.

For software, we used Adobe Photoshop 7.0 for editing and printing, and ACDSee 5.0 (have 7.0 for '05) for sorting duties and for viewing stations.

Some event photogs are creating HTML-based webpages on the fly, so their viewing stations only need to run IE or another browser. While this also enables them to have their users input order data, we prefer a more hands-on approach to sales...and I cringe at the thought of giving people a keyboard. It's so much harder for the average person to do damage with just a mouse (and no admin rights on the box). The other main drawback to using HTML is the overhead involved with creating the pages, and the fact that if you move a photo after its host page has been created, you have to re-create the page. On the other hand, ACDSee lets us move and sub-sort photos at will, because it auto-refreshes to display what's currently in each subfolder.

There's a picture of last year's setup on my home page (link above). We ran all four viewing stations in the side windows (two in each). This year I plan to add two more stations, but can't decide whether to do three per 7' window, or have the option to open the back doors and use the opening for the two additional stations.

I'd love to see pics and get some details on that trailer...
post #7 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 5:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
The other main drawback to using HTML is the overhead involved with creating the pages, and the fact that if you move a photo after its host page has been created, you have to re-create the page.
Easily remedied by having the whole back-end written in ASP/SQL.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 5:56 PM Thread Starter
Fig

Taz,
I paid 13,500 + Tax. I don't have the full specs on window dimensions, but they look like they are about 9' wide. It has dual windows like the one on your website, and has acrylic display cases inside. It is wired for electricitry with a 50amp main, and battery backup. I don't need a generator at this point as they are wiring up electricity for me. The trailer will also be staying at the track year round, so bouncing around isn't a problem. We are debating putting in an AC, as it's set up, you just have to mount it.

For software, I am going to purchase two touch screens, and write my own. I will base it off the software I wrote for my website where they can drill down to pictures with their car in. The actual printing will be handled by the person in the trailer. I will also have P440's running. I have a 3 or 4 year old P400, and it's running as good as the day I bought it.

I will be using a Linux machine to host all of the files on a couple of 250gb drives. I will be setting up wireless so that I can hook up two lcd's in our booth under the stands. If I can't reach from the track, I will also put in a signal booster, so that I can bring a laptop out on the track, and upload pics after each race right from the track. The plan is, after the new pics are uploaded, restart the slideshow to pick up the latest pics, and put them in heavier rotation. All pics will reside on the shared drives on the linux machine.

I am still debating on what type of horsepower to put into the printing machines, since the real holdup is the printers. I will use Qimage to send the images to the printer. I am thinking for the touch screens, just use a asp/sql front end, like Conq said, as I have most of the code already written for my website. I can then take a full backup of my website DB to the track and load it every week.

Did I mention that we will be producing the program for the track as well this year. Goodbye spare time!!
Fig

P.S. Also, my trailer is actually 27' with the tongue, but it seems this measurement is only used in the brochure. It looks like it's the MW8526TA3. I know it has the tandem 5K axles, and 10K GVWR. I can get more specs and info when I get home, and possibly post a picture.

Last edited by Fig; 02-09-2005 at 6:02 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 6:39 PM

If this is for an outdoor application (bright light), you may want to consider transreflective displays, the ones that actually get brighter and more readable with more available light.

As far as the PCs driving the displays, why not use xboxes? They're relatively cheap, compact, and pack a wallop for the money.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 7:53 PM

Been told good things about KDS. Last I checked they are local in newport beach. Mwave.com $203

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec....iteria=1491808
post #11 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 8:30 PM
TAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone
Been told good things about KDS. Last I checked they are local in newport beach. Mwave.com $203

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec....iteria=1491808

Can't comment about the company or the products, but the monitor in the link probably has less contrast than would be ideal. I think you need 500:1 or better for outdoor viewing.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-09-2005, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig
Thanks ND. I have been looking there, but was hoping for variety. Anyone bought an LCD sight unseen? How about shipping and dead pixels? Problems? Just trying to be cautious before I drop around 2k for the screens for the trailer, and 2 for my home pc's.
Fig

yeah i got mine from a link on techbargains a while back and it is great, no problems. they usually have links for great prices.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page