Fireblades- - - "Pimp my new computer". - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-18-2005, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 33

Fireblades- - - "Pimp my new computer".

Looking to get a new Dell desktop unit through a company purchase but we can purchase what we want(E-Machine, Gateway, etc..). The company uses all Dell except for the panasonic Toughbooks and have good luck with them. It's been 5 years since my last computer purchase and need advise on hardware and software to have installed. I don't need a real big "puterzilla" machine but need a good solid machine. I do E-mail, surfing the net, letters on word and digital photography. I already have an external 80gig HD but would like plenty space. Suggestions wanted.

It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-18-2005, 12:20 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Fireblades- - - "Pimp my new computer".

At a minimum get a CD-RW/DVD drive and I would recommend a writer (±RW)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #3 of 12 Old 02-18-2005, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

What speed works best?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-18-2005, 9:05 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Have them install Windoze and Office. Outside of that, tell them that you want NOTHING installed otherwise you'll get a bunch of crap bundled software. I'd get a SATA drive(200 gig or so), about 1gig of RAM and a nice 19" or 20" LCD with DVI(make sure the video card is also DVI). Second the DVD burner as well.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-18-2005, 1:38 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Have them install Windoze and Office. Outside of that, tell them that you want NOTHING installed otherwise you'll get a bunch of crap bundled software. I'd get a SATA drive(200 gig or so), about 1gig of RAM and a nice 19" or 20" LCD with DVI(make sure the video card is also DVI). Second the DVD burner as well.
Thats some serious BLING BLING for a home pc
post #6 of 12 Old 02-18-2005, 1:54 PM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX954
I wouldn't call it "BLING"...cuz it actually provides some value - this stuff works, and will make for a sweet system.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-18-2005, 1:55 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX954
He says he does digital photography. Photo editing/storage can tax your system
post #8 of 12 Old 02-18-2005, 4:52 PM

Dell usually has some killer deals. Current specs: 3GHz P4, 512MB DDR2 RAM (since you're doing photo editing, 1GB+ would be nice), 80GB drive, 17" LCD, for around $550 shipped.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-19-2005, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

I'll keep the mods in mind and on the list. Anything is better than what I currently have:
Compaq 1700 Laptop
550mhz
4gig HD
320 mb RAM was 64mb
2 usb ports
0 firewire ports
0 Ethernet ports
removable floppy
Removable CD/DVD drive
WinBlows 98se

Been a decent system but time to retire and have target practice with the AK.

post #10 of 12 Old 02-19-2005, 1:38 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

CPU: 2GHz can get much slower than that these days and there generally isn't much to be gained from going all out on MHZ for what you are doing. Unless you are crunching photos all day every day.

HDD: I tend to stick to the Seagate HDs and get the 7200RPM drives with 8MB cache and the 3 year warruntee. The 3 year warrunttee version are only a few dollars more and well worth it. The faster spinning drive will have a noticeable positive effect on load times and general sense of performance more than most other things. You aren't going to get much more performance out of a SATA interface than a ATA100/ATA133 since the current drives aren't able to saturate the ATA133 interface let alone start using the higher bandwidth of the SATA interface, but the cost difference is negligible so either is fine. At the moment the 200GB drives seem to be the best value for money so start looking at region and work up if you feel the need for more space, but since this is a desktop you can always add another HDD further down the track as the need arises.

RAM 512MB would be the minimum but 1GB would be nice if you do a lot of image processing. but again this can be upgraded down the track too.

PORTS Firewire, USB2, Ethernet, etc its all pretty standard these days but you might find that serial and parallel ports have vanished on some motherboards so be aware of that if you need them.

VIDEO adapter You can get motherboards which have a decent 3D card built into them and they also have and additional AGP slot to expand as required but you end up sacrificing PCI slots for this. Unless you are going to be playing DOOM3 and the like then a middle or the road 3d video card (something with a ATI RADEON 9250 or X600) will be more than enough. AGP is fast being replaced by PCI Express as the preferred graphics interface so make sure that the card you choose has the same interface as your motherboard.

FDD They cost nothing and are handy in emergencies so I'd throw that in there.

DVD/CD Double layer DVD+/-RW drives have come down a lot in price so I'd recommend getting one of these.

Monitor depends on your cash and desk space.....LCD or CRT your choice, just make sure the picture is clear, some of the cheaper LCD monitors don't have as clear of a picture as you may require.

Buy your Operating system and Office package with the hardware so you can get OEM licenses (Windows requires any old piece of hardware but Office requires a MB, HDD and CPU to be on the same invoice). Unless you are involved in the academic industry then you can get Academic licenses of office and make it a bit cheaper again.

Places like http://www.tomshardware.com/ do regular comparisons of monitor s and motherboards etc so have a quick look through there and pick out the best of the bunch, after all oils ain't oils and motherboards ain't motherboards.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-19-2005, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OHOH2
Dell usually has some killer deals. Current specs: 3GHz P4, 512MB DDR2 RAM (since you're doing photo editing, 1GB+ would be nice), 80GB drive, 17" LCD, for around $550 shipped.
about a month ago that was like $900 on Dell's website....
price it, then try to check out to get real prices maybe. I hear of great Dell deals but never see them... could be wrong
post #12 of 12 Old 02-19-2005, 7:15 AM

Sony Vaio A series. If they'll pay for it, go for it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page