Tiered Licensing of Firearms - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 42

Tiered Licensing of Firearms

Since everyone seems so in favor of tossing away their riding rights to a tiered licensing system, I am left wondering how many would advocate a similar system for firearms....?

By the twisted logic of those in favor of the tier system, the 9mm Auto is surely the "literbike" of the handgun world.

How many of you would you be in favor of having to work your way up the ladder to it's ownership as well...

And how many think this tiered system would have any effect on gun violence...

Bring it...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 12:02 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Re: Tiered Licensing of Firearms

There already is one.

And it was the first thing I thought of too. The chipping away at the right of a relatively small group to do something.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy

Last edited by luvtolean; 02-28-2005 at 12:02 PM.
post #3 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 12:08 PM

Reputation Power: 17

OK, who said we are taking away your right to ride??? You are interpreting this the wrong way.

It's my opinion that a drivers license is a privelege, not a right. It's something you have to earn, and learn.

Guns are the same way (and I'll try to leave my opinions on said 9 mm's and M-16's and AK-47's out of this).

Where I grew up and hunted all the while I lived there, you needed the same qualifications to buy a $30 BB gun as you needed to buy a 30.06 to bring down a moose. I am not familiar with gun laws in the States, but can a 16 or 17 year old go in a store and buy any fire-arm he wants?? You guys have an ammendment on the "Right to bear arms" and I agree with that, to a point. If you have proven you are proficient with a .410 stotgun, you should be permitted to move up to a 10 or 12 guage. If you have proven you can handle a small bore rifle, you should be able to move up to a bigger hunting rifle (this is a little different because a .22 is still dangerous over a mile, right)

Now, I want your opinion of a 17 year old immature teenager let loose with a high powered rifle and no clue how to use it. Take this answer, and transfer it to the same kid jumping on a 'Blade or R-1 or ZX-10 R or a 'Busa or even a XX with a Two Bros pipe (sorry, I had to get that in there ).

See my point??

Bikes and Golf, the rest is just details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Show me where the tiered system is better, and I'll come a little closer to seeing your point, until then it's all conjecture used to support an agenda that is pro-government intrusion....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #5 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 12:24 PM

OK, so for right now, is it safe to assume that you believe that on his 16th birthday, any snotty-nosed semi-sensible immature teenager (as opposed to 16 year olds who seem to be matured years beyond their time on this earth, and yes, they do exist) should be able to go buy an CBR1000RR and a 9MM (in your definition, the 'Blade of guns) and be cut loose to do as they wish??

(Edited for spelling)

Last edited by Newfie TLR; 02-28-2005 at 12:25 PM.
post #6 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie TLR
OK, so for right now, is it safe to assume that you believe that on his 16th birthday, any snotty-nosed semi-sensible immature teenager (as opposed to 16 year olds who seem to be matured years beyond their time on this earth, and yes, they do exist) should be able to go buy an CBR1000RR and a 9MM (in your definition, the 'Blade of guns) and be cut loose to do as they wish??

(Edited for spelling)
You aren't helping to explain your POV by creating a hypothetical situation that doesn't exist.....that's called hype...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
post #7 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech
You aren't helping to explain your POV by creating a hypothetical situation that doesn't exist.....that's called hype...
What's hypothetical about it?? I asked if it can be done?? That's a simple yes or no answer.

post #8 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 12:47 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

We have a 2 tiered system. Adults and minors. Most states have restrictions on long gun ownership for minors. And prohibition on ownership of handguns for minors (that might even be Federal). So no I do not support a 16 year old having an Uzi. An adult though should own and be responsible for the gun of choice.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #9 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What's hypothetical about it?? I asked if it can be done?? That's a simple yes or no answer.
No, you asked if I believed that they should be able to do these hypothetical things...not whether it was actually possible....

Quote:

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800

Last edited by Baketech; 02-28-2005 at 12:48 PM.
post #10 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Can a 16 year old buy a 9MM??

Yes, or no??

post #11 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 1:03 PM

Reputation Power: 45

No.

And it's as stupid as your hypotheticals.

Experience and responsibility have nothing to do with age when it comes to bikes or firearms.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #12 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 1:08 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
We have a 2 tiered system. Adults and minors. Most states have restrictions on long gun ownership for minors. And prohibition on ownership of handguns for minors (that might even be Federal). So no I do not support a 16 year old having an Uzi. An adult though should own and be responsible for the gun of choice.
correct. federal. you must be 18 to own a long gun, and 21 to own a handgun. hoever, you can be 18 and be issued a weapon in the military or be 18 in some states, and be issued a duty weapon as a police officer. at the end of the shift, the duty weapon has to stay at the department.

as for tiered licensing for vehicles: IMHO, it may or may not result in less motor vehicle fatalities. a kid can kill themselves on a 125cc motorcycle, just as easy as a 1000cc bike. granted, there's a large HP difference, but the 125cc's still go fast and there are hop-up parts for all these bikes in the tiered licensing areas. (Europe)

if you go to some of the websites, the tiering is also acompanied by speed limits. the kids brag how they can make their 50cc scooter go 55 miles an hour, when by law, they're only supposed to go 35 mph and no greater.

i agree in the fact that i do not feel the need to give the government more control than they already have. if you let them govern the size of your bike, based on your age, then how long before they re-write the laws to tell you when you can ride, or what you can ride, as an adult?

"Wake me when the winter's over......"

Last edited by Rigor; 02-28-2005 at 1:32 PM.
post #13 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 1:11 PM

Reputation Power: 39

(Might want to post your MC licensing comments on the thread about tiered MC licensing. )
post #14 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
snip...........no.......snip
OK, thanks for the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
snip...........Experience and responsibility have nothing to do with age when it comes to bikes or firearms.
This is true, but some of us do expect an adult with many more years under his belt to be more sensible, but this is exacyly some sort of proof of training & experience is good no matter what dangerous sport you venture into, right??.

post #15 of 43 Old 02-28-2005, 1:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigor
correct. federal. you must be 18 to own a long gun, and 21 to own a handgun. hoever, you can be 18 and be issued a weapon in the military or be 18 in some states, and be issued a duty weapon as a police officer. at the end of the shift, the duty weapon has to stay at the department.
I bought my first handgun on my 18th birthday.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page