Question for all those in Network jobs - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-01-2005, 3:20 PM Thread Starter
CRU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Question for all those in Network jobs

How did you manage to get into those jobs?

Here's the situation.

Though I have been trained in UNIX, Windows OS/Networks, and Oracle/SQL databases, I have been working in the software side of things for several years now. I'm beginning to get burnt out. I've always loved the hardware side, though. Networks, peripherals, PCs, etc. I receive a greater feeling of accomplishment whenever I do something with hardware. Probably cause I can directly see the fruit of my labor. But it has been very difficult to get a job in such positions. Most places want goggles of experience and certifications just to be a do-boy.

Short of a college degree, how exactly did you get into those positions? I've been lucky enough to work in positions that usually require degrees and I've manage to excel and progress to greater opportunities, often times surpassing coworkers with formal degrees.

I will soon have the opportunity, through work, to take the Windows 2003 MCSE tests. Will this help to be able to break into an elusive network position?

Confucius say, "Foolish man give wife piano. Wise man give wife upright organ."

Last edited by CRU; 03-01-2005 at 3:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-01-2005, 4:57 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Question for all those in Network jobs

In the government contracts I work you need either a degree or military time.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #3 of 9 Old 03-01-2005, 5:14 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Most of my clientle with IT departments want either a degree (Brand name certs are pretty common, so they don't mean as much at the bargaining table) or several years experience with the type of systems they have or are planning to migrate to.

Interestingly, I have seen multiple certified (MCSE/CNE/CCNE/CCNA) applicants get passed over for someone with 3 to 4 years in the trenches with complex systems and no certs or degrees at all.

For me this is all moot, as all of my work is performance driven (either it works as I say it will or I'm gone) and my degrees and certs are rarely discussed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-01-2005, 5:30 PM

Reputation Power: 50

All I can say is someone's been watching out for me. Most of the guys I graduated with are still working the same jobs when we all started college. Many of them had higher GPA's than me and are/were waaaay smarter.

From what I see in listings around here, employers want MCSE's for everything, some even for just basic support positions. Beyond that, 3-5 years experience and then you might be lucky enough to get an interview. It's a very tough field to make it in anymore, so it seems. The market got flooded with network guys, just like it did with HTML coders back in the 90's. It will have to start leveling off eventually, when that will be...I don't know. One way to make it is to start out small and build a name for yourself, just like abtech says. Let your work speak for you, the rest will come.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-01-2005, 5:59 PM

You want into networking HW or server HW...or even PC HW (I hope not!)? There is a big difference and specifice knowledge of each (net vs. server) you must understand. Server HW is pretty easy IMO and requires less knowledge of the OS compared to Routers, backbone switches, wans...which require extensive IP knowledge. I've seen some 6figure jobs for Cisco guys but personally feel it would take me 3-5 years of experience for me to have the grasp on networking like I have on WindowsOS/Server. HW

On a vent.... All developers should have to take OS architecture & HW classes..maybe then they can write more effective code that doesn't crash! and can handle a load I deal w/ crappy apps all day....they always want to throw my HW at there code problems!!! Good developers are few and far between....

Depending on were you want to go I would suggest some of these certs.
A++ basic HW cert
Each vendor ususally has certs also on there server HW. Dell, IBM, etc.
MSCE ...clustering is a good nitch to get into if you can. I do alot of clustering here.
Learning about SANs can only help you as all big shops now have some kinda SANs.

Cicso!!!

Best of luck to you.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-01-2005, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02FBlade
You want into networking HW or server HW...or even PC HW (I hope not!)? There is a big difference and specifice knowledge of each (net vs. server) you must understand. Server HW is pretty easy IMO and requires less knowledge of the OS compared to Routers, backbone switches, wans...which require extensive IP knowledge. I've seen some 6figure jobs for Cisco guys but personally feel it would take me 3-5 years of experience for me to have the grasp on networking like I have on WindowsOS/Server. HW

On a vent.... All developers should have to take OS architecture & HW classes..maybe then they can write more effective code that doesn't crash! and can handle a load I deal w/ crappy apps all day....they always want to throw my HW at there code problems!!! Good developers are few and far between....

Depending on were you want to go I would suggest some of these certs.
A++ basic HW cert
Each vendor ususally has certs also on there server HW. Dell, IBM, etc.
MSCE ...clustering is a good nitch to get into if you can. I do alot of clustering here.
Learning about SANs can only help you as all big shops now have some kinda SANs.

Cicso!!!

Best of luck to you.
That's cause you have Windows It takes a sheep to crash a IBM Regatta

Must obey the sheep dog
post #7 of 9 Old 03-02-2005, 6:10 PM Thread Starter
CRU

Reputation Power: 19

Damn. Looks like I got a long tough rode ahead of me. Well, if I fail, there is always barber college.

Thanks all.

Confucius say, "Foolish man give wife piano. Wise man give wife upright organ."
post #8 of 9 Old 03-02-2005, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU
Damn. Looks like I got a long tough rode ahead of me. Well, if I fail, there is always barber college.

Thanks all.
Most cool jobs come from hard work. I have a programming job that has a lot of friends drooling but it took years of work to get there Go for it doing what you love is worth a lot.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #9 of 9 Old 03-02-2005, 9:32 PM

I cant seem to put a number on the amount of people who think the helpdesk is the last place they would want to work. I used to be a desktop support tech that knew squat anout networks, cept for how to fix windows. Went to a helpdesk job for another co and learned some lotus notes and mainframe. Moved to another helpdesk looking for someone who knew notes and mainframe and NT. From there I got noticed for being a quick learner. There was a opening at 2nd level helpdesk ...mainly NT/2000 and cisco stuff. I passed my ccna and beat out everyone else as it was a promote from within deal.

I know bridging as well as some engineers. I can remotely admin servers and desktops. Diagnose i386/windows servers and interviene or escalate to hardware guys. I call in circuits. Monitor a nortel backbone. Daily I am an escalation point for the helpdesk. I know enough SNA/DLSW/vtam to do my job

Now I am learning asp.net to script some stuff.

You can try to work your way up from a promote from within deal. Get noticed...work hard?

I know a CCNP will get you noticed. I have met a CCIE that couldnt figure out for a half hour the error message was due to bad memory she just installed. Try not to look like a paper/MSCE/CCNA/CCNP/CCIE etc...

I have also met programmers that I think I missing fundamentals about networking and operating systems.
I

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page