I have respect for the Police, but this has me pissed! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-02-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

I have respect for the Police, but this has me pissed!

My wife, worked 14 hours at the hospital because the hospitals are so overwhelmed with the FLU that they do not have enough care. So she came in an extra shift and she is 9 months pregnant and having contractions.

She leaves work, she is having irregular contractions and she is worried. Her work is 30 miles from home and the hospital she will give birth is near our home. The doctor wanted her to get home and get some rest to see if the contractions to stop.

She is on the highway, tired, and worried and a police officer pulls her over 72 in a 55. Clean Highway, no snow, little traffic, and daylight. Cop asks her how fast, she says I am not sure, he leaves the car, comes back hands her a ticket. My wife told him... I have never had a ticket in 14 years, I am 9 months pregnant and having contractions and I just got done working a 14 shift at the hospital. He says " this is not my problem" walks off.

My wife who is the sweetest kindest person, is just in tears and can not get her eyes to dry up, sits for a moment... The cop chirps his siren and tells her to move on.

One quick question any Indiana People, do you have to sign a ticket under the signature....... cause the cop forgot to do that... so is that ticket legal?

Lover of all small woodland creatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-02-2005, 11:45 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: I have respect for the Police, but this has me pissed!

There's good cops and there are jerk cops. Sounds like your wife experienced one of the latter. Sorry to hear it.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-02-2005, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Like I said, I have the up most respect for police officers, but I am suprised to see what happened here.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 12:05 AM

DEPO, I too have the utmost respect for LEOs, but that phuck doesn't deserve to wear the badge. Along with the desire to serve and protect, there must be a balance/modicum of compassion also. What a total dickhead!!! I suspect he either: 1) is a bitter, unhappy person to begin with, or 2) he didn't get his morning BJ! . Either way, your wife did not deserve that treatment!!! Chain, your thoughts?

edit: Did I forget to mention, that azzhat has no heart at all!

Last edited by Bacchus; 03-03-2005 at 12:07 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 3:05 AM

Depo you MIGHT have to thank all the people that lie to cops to get out of tickets. A lot of these lies are real sob stories but are just bold attempts to get out of a ticket. I believe what you said about your wife to be true but after a while a lot of cops whose job is traffic just stop listening. When I was on patrol I pulled someone over for a crazy turn and speeding. When I got up to the car the driver stated he just left work because he received a call that his son was in the hospital, badly injured. Well it turns out the driver had an open beer in the car and couldn't tell me what hospital he was speeding to (figured out I was going to check). I am not saying some cops aren't jerks. Just something to think about.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 3:19 AM

Yes, a compassionate Officer would have at least dropped the ticket, and might have followed her to her destination in case there were any "complications".

Tell her, we in Law Enforcement are sorry for her treatment.

On the other hand, seeing that she was in a state of worry, her emotions may have affected her judgement, thus she was speeding un-intentionally. That, coupled with the fact of long hours, would have me concerned enough to advise my wife to arrange alternate transportation to and fro (or kick in the FMLA), just for her own safety.

BTW, DEPO-

Congratulations!

I don't know about Indiana, but in California you're signing for a promise to appear. It's not valid without your signature.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 6:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to stopsign Send a message via Yahoo to stopsign

In PA we do NOT need to sign the ticket for it to be valid.

I don't kill flies but I like to mess with their minds. I hold them above globes. They freak out and yell, 'Whoa, I'm way too high!'
post #8 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 7:15 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhip
There's good cops and there are jerk cops.
exactly. this guy was a hammer. sorry to hear it....... hope your wife and the baby are fine.

"Wake me when the winter's over......"
post #9 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout
Yes, a compassionate Officer would have at least dropped the ticket, and might have followed her to her destination in case there were any "complications".

On the other hand, seeing that she was in a state of worry, her emotions may have affected her judgement, thus she was speeding un-intentionally. That, coupled with the fact of long hours, would have me concerned enough to advise my wife to arrange alternate transportation to and fro (or kick in the FMLA), just for her own safety.
I would echo everything Scout said in his post. Nemisis makes a valid point as well. I don't condone what's being talked about, but it can be reality at times. Having said that, I will agree in principle that the officer in question could have used a little more discretion and compassion for the matter at hand.

FWIW, in Nebraska you must sign the citation or face custodial arrest. It's your promise to appear in court, not an admission of guilt, and failing to sign gets you the crickets.

Last edited by Chain; 03-03-2005 at 8:22 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 8:28 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemisis
Depo you MIGHT have to thank all the people that lie to cops to get out of tickets. A lot of these lies are real sob stories but are just bold attempts to get out of a ticket. I believe what you said about your wife to be true but after a while a lot of cops whose job is traffic just stop listening. When I was on patrol I pulled someone over for a crazy turn and speeding. When I got up to the car the driver stated he just left work because he received a call that his son was in the hospital, badly injured. Well it turns out the driver had an open beer in the car and couldn't tell me what hospital he was speeding to (figured out I was going to check). I am not saying some cops aren't jerks. Just something to think about.
Point taken, however, I would think that the abnormally sized tummy might be a giveaway that she is telling the truth, at least to some extent.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 11:05 AM

Although I think the cop was less than pleasant, your wife should've tried the story before he came back with the ticket. I don't think this cop deserves the hostility. A pregnant woman should not get off tickets, so without her story, I don't blame him.

She could goto court and plead guilty and tell her tale. Get a signed letter from the physician that told her she needed to get home and verifying she was having contrations. The judge may let her off.

post #12 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 11:14 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Agree on the tell the story before. If she had said "sorry I am having contractions and am probably going to fast in an attempt to get home" at the question of how fast she is going it might have had a different effect.

Also consider that it might not be possible to "tear up" a ticket once wrote. I would think departments would use numbered ticket books to prevent the officer from collecting a ticket and pocketing the procedes

Must obey the sheep dog
post #13 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Although I think the cop was less than pleasant, your wife should've tried the story before he came back with the ticket.
Great points, both, IMO.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 2:05 PM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

A few questions:
1. Was your wife actually breaking the law?
2. Does your wife's condition (tired and overworked; very pregnant) make her offense any less viable?
3. Do you think police have some obligation to let people get away with breaking the law?

I speed, too. Everyone does. It doesn't mean we should expect to not get ticketed when we get caught, or that cops who are doing their jobs deserve anger from people (or their husbands) who break the laws those officers are employed to enforce. I haven't been pulled over in several years, but never "play dumb" when talking to The Man. I stay to the point, act respectful, sheepishly admit my mistake and apologize. I have been ticketed about half the time (I think three speeding tickets in the ~18 years or so I've been driving).

Sorry she got a ticket. Get over your anger. And perhaps encourage her to slow down, or be more alert so she doesn't get caught the next time.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 5:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ
A few questions:
1. Was your wife actually breaking the law?
2. Does your wife's condition (tired and overworked; very pregnant) make her offense any less viable?
3. Do you think police have some obligation to let people get away with breaking the law?

I speed, too. Everyone does. It doesn't mean we should expect to not get ticketed when we get caught, or that cops who are doing their jobs deserve anger from people (or their husbands) who break the laws those officers are employed to enforce. I haven't been pulled over in several years, but never "play dumb" when talking to The Man. I stay to the point, act respectful, sheepishly admit my mistake and apologize. I have been ticketed about half the time (I think three speeding tickets in the ~18 years or so I've been driving).

Sorry she got a ticket. Get over your anger. And perhaps encourage her to slow down, or be more alert so she doesn't get caught the next time.

All very good points..... Taz.....

I have been speeding and been pulled over and knew with in my heart of hearts, that this was a ticket that I am going to get, no questions asked.

I will say we agree to disagree and actually so did the county prosecutor. I talked to her today and she said she has not seen the summons, but to call her in 14 days remind her of the conversation and it would be dealt with.

So .... for a county prosecutor (whew it was a woman) to say I am throwing it out.... must say that this is probably a ticket that should have not been written.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page