New carry pistol! (Kinda Long) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-07-2005, 9:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ
New carry pistol! (Kinda Long)

Well I finally made my choice and got a new carry gun this weekend. Man my girlfriend is gonna kick my ass for this. I had been debating between a few different pistols. Hk USP Compact, Sig P229, Glock, or a Commander sized 1911. Having shot all but the Hk I was a flooded with info and was trying to get it straight in my mind. On Saturday I went to the shop I buy all my guns from and decided to fondle all them again. The Glock was first and it still feels funny to me in my hands. I just can't get used to the grip angle of the tactical tupperware, so back in the case it went. Scratch the Glock.

I then fondled the 229. Feels everybit as good as my 226 and just as fat too. Since it had the Hogue's on it like my 226 it was extra fat. Man I love how the Sig feels in the hand. Well balanced and points very well. The Sig just took first place.

The shop had one Hk that was used and it was a USP C in 9mm. I'm not calling the Hk a bad gun but it too felt odd in the hands. Not as bad as a Glock though. So we put that back in the case.

Now came my most favorite case in the store. All 1911's. New and used alike, from ultra carry 3" to Govt 5". Springfield, Colt, Kimber, Sig....oh the choices. When I say it took me over an hour to handle almost every 1911 in the case I am not kidding. Since I knew I wanted a Comander size I started with the original...Colt. They had a Combat Commander in SS, which I wanted to stay away from. Didin't really like the feel it had. Was a bit porky in weight and lacked a few things. I then went on to the Kimber's. Now Kimber has about 60 models of 1911 for those that don't know, and man they have a crap load of 4" ones. I started with the Pro Carry II and worked my way up to the Tactical Pro II. That Tac Pro is so sweet and lightweight to boot. The only thing I was worried about was the alloy frame and taking the abuse of 45acp. I wanted light but durable. The only production 4" that Springfield has is called the Champion. They had the SS model(which I do not want) and a G.I. Model which although nice needs some goodies added to it. So I passed on the Springfield. Sig doesn't make a Commander sized 1911(yet), but I did play with the GSR(Granite Series Rail)1911. Man I hope they come out with one soon cause that thing is nice.

Last but not least off in the corner of the display case all by itself was a Smith&Wesson 1911Sc. My eyes lit up and the drool began to buildup in the corner of my mouth. I hadn't seen one in person yet and every shop I had been to or called was sold out of them. I have read many positive reviews on the dependability of the new Sc and was shocked to see it. It's a pretty hot gun to have right now and finding one was just what I needed to lighten my wallet. The guy says, "well you seem to have found something that really interests you, would you like to hold it?" Well DUH, of course I did. First impression is that it's really light. I think S&W says 26oz. It's not Stainless . It's a true Commander in that it's a 4.25" barrel, when a lot of companies just use a 4" and call it a Commander. The trigger is very crisp although bit heavy, I'd say around 5 or 6lbs. I'm used to 4-4.5lbs. It points very well and feels fantastic in the hand.

So after an hour or more of fondling and thinking I had finally decided. I took home that S&W 1911Sc. Haven't shot it yet but took it home and cleaned it. Evrything about this 1911 is better then my Springfield. I had them both out comparing them and the Springfield just looks cheap in some areas compared to the Smith. There's machine and tooling marks on the frame of my Springer and none on the Smith. The Smith is much tighter then the Sprinfield. Even though I have over 5000 rounds down the barrel it was never as tight as the Smith is, when it was new. I hope to take it to the range this week and see how it shoots. Gonna have to figure out how to get it past the SO though, I told her I wasn't gettig a new pistol for awhile .

Dano

{edit} Here's a link to what I got and a small review on it.Linky

Dan

Last edited by ReaperAZ; 03-07-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-07-2005, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: New carry pistol! (Kinda Long)

Coward.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-07-2005, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

Thank you sir, I would expect nothing less from you.

Dano

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-07-2005, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperAZ
Thank you sir, I would expect nothing less from you.

Dano
I'm just glad I had the opportunity to say it first.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-07-2005, 11:16 AM

I am a HK man at the moment, but I have recently been very interested in checking out Kimber and Sig's offerings in a full size ass kicker.

What is a commander sized weapon? Is that considered smaller than the originaly 5" barrel yet smaller than a compact?

confused by that I am.
-Yoda
post #6 of 11 Old 03-07-2005, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

A Commander size is very simple. Instead of a 5" bbl it's got a 4.25" bbl. The frame size is the same so you have the fullsize hand hold on it. The Officer size is a 4.25" bbl on a shorter frame. The grip is a tad shorter.

{edit}I was never a 1911 fan until a shot one. Now I love em and must have more, and more, and more.

Dano

Dan

Last edited by ReaperAZ; 03-07-2005 at 11:58 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-07-2005, 12:34 PM

Those are sweet lookin', I've drooled on a few myself. Nice purchase.

I don't know what AZ was like over the weekend, but here it was perfect. I put about 300 rounds downrange yesterday.

Last edited by luvtolean; 03-07-2005 at 12:35 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-07-2005, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Those are sweet lookin', I've drooled on a few myself. Nice purchase.

I don't know what AZ was like over the weekend, but here it was perfect. I put about 300 rounds downrange yesterday.

Not so perfect here, rained near my house most of the weekend. I didn't shoot it yet cause I'm a bit sore from an "oops" I had on the CRF last week. I'm hoping to get a few boxes through it this week. I have to get 500 or so rounds through it without any malfunctions before I carry it.

Dano

Dan
post #9 of 11 Old 03-07-2005, 12:51 PM

I'm not a big fan of Smith auto loaders, but since this piece isn't of their design, I'd probably see fit to owning one.

Looks like a very nice little pistol. Congrats.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-08-2005, 12:54 AM

I to am a lover of 45ACP. A few yrs ago I was talking to a pistolsmith here in B.C. Cdn & from what he fed me over the phone & by e-mail I bought it without even holding it in my hands.

Originally a Colt Govt Model & that is it. Only the frame & slide are Colt & the rest dramatically modified.

Around a year later I was on the e-mail with him & he made one to my specs in being STI slide, Caspian frame Briley bbl & bushing, all the rest much like the other one in Bo-Mar sights fully checkered front & back strap, his titanium trigger, & hammer, along with his mag well, & then components from only the best.

Like the first one this is with a 2.5 lb trigger pull & both are ---well if you are shooting properly at 25 yds all five should be kissing each other on the target.

We do a LOT of indoor shooting so we reduce our loads & I use a 185gr SWC cast bullet. While outdoors then a 200 cast SWC.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-08-2005, 8:27 AM Thread Starter

So I did some dry fire exercises last night to get the trigger a little "softer". I adjusted the length on it as it was too short for me. I like just the tip of my finger on the it. Everythings looking good so far. Stll have yet to fire a round through it. I am really hoping today after work since tomorrow I'll be riding the CRF and Thursday I have some house hunting planned.

Dano

Dan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page