Ever Gotten a letter like this from Paypal? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-08-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

Ever Gotten a letter like this from Paypal?

Quote:
We regret to inform you that you received funds from an account with reports of fraudulent bank account use. The transaction listed below is
under review.

Transaction ID: ******************
Transaction Date: Mar. 3, 2005
Transaction Amount: $*.** USD
Buyer's Email: ***********@hotmail.com
Buyer's Name: G**** J****

To help in our investigation, please reply with the following information
within 7 calendar days:

1. The item that was purchased and the value of the item.
2. The name and address given to you by the buyer.
3. Whether or not the purchase has been shipped. (If you have not yet sent
the purchase, please do not proceed with the exchange.)
4. If already shipped, please provide the company used, date of shipment,
and tracking number, so that PayPal can verify the shipment and delivery
online. (For transactions of $250.00 USD or more, you must provide a
proof-of-receipt in the form of a signature from the buyer.)
5. Details of any other payments you sent or received that were related to
the above transaction.
6. Your day and evening phone numbers.

We would like to obtain as much information as possible about the above
transaction, including any email correspondence between you and the buyer,
in order to expedite this investigation. Solving fraudulent cases helps us
continue to offer PayPal as a secure and cost-effective payment service.
Thank you for your cooperation and assistance.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team
Freaked me out a bit, and they're asking me to hold the item. I did check headers and it does actually appear to be from them. Hmm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-08-2005, 10:57 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Re: Ever Gotten a letter like this from Paypal?

Yep. Gotten one before. That one could be fake though... Check all the links closely to make sure they actually point to https:/www.paypal.com/etc...
post #3 of 12 Old 03-08-2005, 11:36 PM

I reply to them with a request to contact me by telephone so I can verify their identity before I will send them any requested information.

Once they called me, I asked to speak to a supervisor and get their callback number. When I speak to the supervisor again, I ask him to read back my bank account and CC info. It only happened once, but I did get an actual working phone number for PayPal which has always pissed me off that it was damn near impossible to actually speak to someone.

and your girlfriend too.

Last edited by abtech; 03-09-2005 at 7:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-09-2005, 3:45 AM

Reputation Power: 22

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
I reply to them with a request to contact me by telephone so I can verify their identity before I will send them any requested information.

Once they called me, I asked to speak to a supervisor and get their callback number. When I speak to the supervisor again, I ask him to read back my band account and CC info. It only happened once, but I did get an actual working phone number for PayPal which has always pissed me off that it was damn near impossible to actually speak to someone.

Tried that with my bank....(not the one I work for)

Get a call on the answering machine saying Hi my name is heather and I need John to call me to confirm some recent activity on a visa check card and the number to call is******. I call the number left in the answering machine and get an operater asking for card number, name and social security number...." How am I supposed to distinguish your dept from anyone who leaves a message saying they are my bank and asking for all the information to steal my identity?" So I call the number on the back of my checkcard and they cant tell me squat other than my last transaction.

I found out my card was killed off by fraud dept the next morning when I tried to use it at home depot.

I think the fraud dept killed my card for a $52 transaction at 7-11. I think bank software flags accounts for large or multiple transactions at gas stations.

Whatever you do ....do not use your card twice at the same gas station. Did it on a ride and they killed off my card.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-09-2005, 3:50 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Yup, the fraud dept has killed my Sear MC twice over fuel usage. Get a clue idiots, three charges of $4.56 a day is not theft, its a half decent motorcycle ride. The last time they said they made a notation in my account not to kill it due to small fuel charges, we'll see if it happens again.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-09-2005, 5:12 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
Yup, the fraud dept has killed my Sear MC twice over fuel usage. Get a clue idiots, three charges of $4.56 a day is not theft, its a half decent motorcycle ride. The last time they said they made a notation in my account not to kill it due to small fuel charges, we'll see if it happens again.
Damn, dejavu. On my trip from WA to TX, the drive back.....

I was strictly using my Debit card to avoid calling the credit card co that I primarily use. I figured since I have to use my pin, B of A wouldn't f me and shut it off. If I didn't have to sift through a IVR (phone tree), I would have called them. Made it from WA to OR to CA, almost to the AZ border and my card doesn't work at the pump, denied. Tried calling B of A in the sticks, cell keeps dropping out, at the gas station. Get pissed, use my CC, it works, so I carry on and figure I'll call B of A on the way, as I had lost 30 minutes thus far. Cell keeps dropping out, stop at a rest stop, make it through the phone tree, and then the cust. serv. rep kills the call Stop at another gas station, spend 30 minutes to an hour getting it resolved in the conv. store payphone, I was livid. All over about $120 in gas/motel/food charges. $120 combined and I had used my pin everytime. asshats should know that if someone rips your card that they are going to go on a spree, not nickel and dime crap. And I bet it's more uncommon than common to have a thief jack your Debit card and know the pin! Their excuse? When we see your charges out of state like that, we call first, if no response, then we kill the card. I was like "I didn't receive a phone call" and they were like "You aren't at home". I don't have a home at the moment numbnutz and my cell is listed as my primary contact on the account. Never got a call or Vmail, nada
As you can tell, I'm still frikkin pissed to this day. Anytime I leave the state, I'll be making multiple phone calls prior to let them know so I can use my own money Daddy, can I use my own money that I worked hard for, that's mine? Only if you call us first son

22 days until it begins...

Last edited by deez; 03-09-2005 at 5:15 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-09-2005, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone
Tried that with my bank....(not the one I work for)

Get a call on the answering machine saying Hi my name is heather and I need John to call me to confirm some recent activity on a visa check card and the number to call is******. I call the number left in the answering machine and get an operater asking for card number, name and social security number...." How am I supposed to distinguish your dept from anyone who leaves a message saying they are my bank and asking for all the information to steal my identity?" So I call the number on the back of my checkcard and they cant tell me squat other than my last transaction.

I found out my card was killed off by fraud dept the next morning when I tried to use it at home depot.

I think the fraud dept killed my card for a $52 transaction at 7-11. I think bank software flags accounts for large or multiple transactions at gas stations.

Whatever you do ....do not use your card twice at the same gas station. Did it on a ride and they killed off my card.
I hear ya, I do this all the time on a ride. Leave the house in a hurry, no time to stop and get $ before a group ride. First stop, use the debit card to get fuel at the pump. Then use it again inside to get water and a snack, guess I need to quit doing that since Daddy doesn't like it when I use my own $ the way I want, asshats!

post #8 of 12 Old 03-09-2005, 8:46 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

I like Abtech's answer. I got a call on the credit card to verify since I went from AL, CA, DC in a 4 day span and they thought it was foul play. When I got home the call us was on the answering machine with an 800 number. I called the one on the card and verified the other number the actually thanked me for my paranoia

Must obey the sheep dog
post #9 of 12 Old 03-09-2005, 9:51 AM

Reputation Power: 26

Similar experience here. My bank notified me that they would be issuing me a new debit card due to suspicion of fraud. What really got me worried is that the new card never showed. I called the bank and they killed the reissue and re-reissued another card.

I do all my own stunts.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-09-2005, 10:33 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez
When we see your charges out of state like that, we call first, if no response, then we kill the card.
If you're actually using the card out of state, how are you supposed to receive a phone call at home to verify it?

GIT-R-DONE
post #11 of 12 Old 03-09-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial Thriller
If you're actually using the card out of state, how are you supposed to receive a phone call at home to verify it?
I use my mobile number with all my banks.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-09-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial Thriller
If you read my post, I stated that my primary contact # for those bastards is MY FRIGGIN CELL!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page