Windows keeps "forgetting" installed drivers - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-11-2005, 2:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via AIM to DRider Send a message via MSN to DRider
Windows keeps "forgetting" installed drivers

Long story, sorry.

My computer recently suffered a spontaneous melt-down; the end result being a new PS and Mobo. I took this time to toss the old ATA HD replace it was another, bigger one, and add a SATA as well.

The problem is that I've had a lot of difficulties trying to reinstall XP. My old XP CD is a pre-SP1 version. Windows update wouldn't remember that it installed updates and would consistantly try to reinstall the same updates even though winupdate says 0k needs to be downloaded. I figured this to be a problem with pre-SP1 so I downloaded SP1 and SP2 and manually installed them.

SP1 installed fine but it would still try to reupdate the same security patches repeatedly but everything else ran fine.

Once I tried installing SP2, windows would automatically reboot before reaching the logon screen.

Ok, so I reformatted the HD and tried a different approach:

I took my old CD and slipstreamed the SP1 and SP2 updates (to do one massive install) and made myself a brand spanking new Bootable Win XP CD. I reinstalled Windows and finally made it to the logon screen with SP2 installed (yeah) However once I reinstalled the required Mobo drivers (sata, sound, and lan) and rebooted I noticed that none of those things were available. looking at the device manager they are listed as having no drivers installed.

End Result:

So I have to "reinstall" them everytime even though they're now located in c:\windows. I also get the blue "welcome to Microsoft Windows" page on every bootup, the one right before it would ask to assign users. It should only appear after first bootup but now's a regular. On top of that it STILL keeps asking me to install the same updates! Now only the same 3 ones instead of the 15+ previous ones.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I haven't had to install XP since sp1 came out so I don't know if this is something relatively common or what. I've tried googling this to no avail. This is simply ridiculous, I must have installed windows damn near 10 times in the last 4 days trying to figure out what's wrong. I'm about ready to take this thing down to the computer shop and pay the $45/hr just to get rid of this headache.

Asus a7v880
AMD 2800+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-11-2005, 3:03 AM

Reputation Power: 22

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Diablo
Re: Windows keeps "forgetting" installed drivers

Dont be silly.

Install xp then sp2. You dont have to install sp1 inbetween.

Did you update the bios? You can also go into users/groups and change the way windows starts up....back to the traditional win2000 type of logon. Login as administrator and copy the profile to the other profiles ....

Right click my computer . properties... profiles...copy profile

Last edited by Johnny Diablo; 03-11-2005 at 3:15 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-11-2005, 5:08 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via AIM to DRider Send a message via MSN to DRider
Re: Windows keeps "forgetting" installed drivers

First of all, thanks.

I Installed XP sans SP1. Loaded Mobo related drivers (didn't update BIOS) and restarted. It loaded up fine and "remember" the installed drivers but kept doing the inital logon (do you want to register, enter user name, etc).

Then, I Loaded the SP2 update. After rebooting it went back into the 'reboot continuously the instant it gets to the XP load screen' cycle.

This is after I specify Windows not to reboot on system failure. So, since I had nothing to lose:

I repaired XP using the slipstreamed disk. Everything seems to be fine (drivers load, no inital install screen, random rebooting, etc) but I'm terrified to actually let my computer install any windows updates.

Also, I looked under the my comp -> properties but can only find 'hardware profile' Is this what you're refering to?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page